The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2005, 03:27 AM

Default WW2 Occupation Medals

I tried for months to get my Korean occupation medals. I received all my medal except 1945 occupation Korea medal. They said there was no Korean medal. I then sent my army tiime and occupation time to my U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenowtwo weerks ago and to-day received the Korean Occupation medal and Ribbon.Here are dates for WW2 Occupation Duty.Army of Occupation Medal- authorized 1946This medal resembles the WW1 Occupation medal. It was awarded for 30 consecutive days at anormal post of duty while assigned to any of the following:Army of occupation of Germany: 9 May 45- 5 May 55Army of occupation of Austria: 9 May 45-27 July 55Army of occupation of Berlin: 9 May 45- 2 Oct 1990Army of occupation of Italy: 9 May 45-15 Sept. 47Army of occupation of Japan: 3 sept. 45-27 April 1952Army of occupation of Korea: 3 Sept 45-29 June 49.Art
Old 01-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Cadet...

The Army, just like The American Legion and VFW are sticklers about non-combat or mere Area Ribbons, and why my few month late arrival and 28 month Border Tour of Duty doesn't merit my having an: "Army of Occupation of Germany" ribbon,...and also why not qualifying for membership in the quite prestigious American Legion and VFW.

After checking your profile, and given The Dates and Locations Served,...I figure that maybe you were in Taegu, Korea too-damn-early and during one-helluva shoot-em-up and/or just too soon for a petty and pretty-much meaningless Area Ribbon?

Besides, COMBAT-EARNED ribbons or medals (whether on Sea, Land or Air) and CIBs are the only decorations THAT ACTUALLY MATTER & MEAN SOMETHING HONORABLE & WORTHWHILE.

Dates of Service or Area Ribbons prove absolutely nothing about ones Honorable Service to Country.
Well,...apparently except to The American Legion and VFW.

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Occupation Medals

OK Neil, What is your point
After getting my civilian pilots license, en-listing in Army Air Corp,
flying Army planes, then told they had too many pilots, more training in Camp Howze Texas,then to Leyte in Philippine Island
and Panay Island. The ware ends, instead of going home I am shipped to Taegu,Korea. I don't wear the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal or other medals, Igave them to my grand-son.My brother-in-law was Marine in Bougainville, South Pacific. my brother got Purple Heart at Bastogne and then was K.I.A. crossing the Rhine River. I married my fiancee on furlough and then left for two years

cadetat6 a long ago air man
Old 01-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Cadet...

My point is that non-combat Occupation Area Ribbons and their times awarded are pretty-much meaningless,...except for qualifying veterans for The American Legion or VFW.

So, I really don't see why you're even bothering to try and get one? Nothing personal.

Neil
Old 01-09-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Occupation Medals

Neil,
You are correct, most medals are worthless but you sound like a angry man. We are only on this earth for a short time, like a whisp of smoke, that disappears in a short time.
Here is another worthless one
Armed Forces Service Medal

Authorized by order of the President on 11 JAN 1996.
Awarded to members of the US Armed Forces who participate as members of units
involved in military operations with no foreign, armed opposition or threat of hostile action.

cadetat6
Old 01-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Cadet...

Not "Angry" at all, since membership in The AMVETS, U.S.7th Cavalry Assoc and 10th Mountain Div. Association,...JUST SUITS ME FINE!!!

Just think it downright insulting to about 5 MILLION or so Honorable Veterans deemed: "Cold War Warriors" to be quite biasedly and quite superiorily excluded memberships and even HONOR ROLL STATUS (due Dates of Service), by both The American Legion and VFW. Truly an organizational nonsense.

Neil

P.S. Regarding that: "...no foreign, armed opposition or threat of hostile action" medal you brought up, I'm sure that each and everyone of my Old Buddies having served for 28 months on West German/Czech Border Patrol, would also get a big chuckle out such a meaningless award for Service to Country. Some would probably say that only RECs (Rear Echelon Commandos), PX Commandos and/or REMFs (both later Vietnam Era expressions),...might appreciate such?

Besides Cadet, where alluded to from 1955 to 1958, The German Border (just like Korean DMZ) was not a very friendly place. All APCs, Jeeps and Tanks in either our 10th Recon Co. or "The A-Troop" 7th Cav, perpetually had their basic load of ammo on board and/or would be combat ready for warfare in minutes.

Plus, I've no doubt whatsoever that across: "The 10 Meter Strip", our Russian(?), East German(?) or Czech(?) counterparts were just a well armed, and just as eager to mix-it-up.
Seems sort-of: "Hostile" to me, and probably even to all my: "We Were Soldiers" type Old Buddies, also?