Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Obama tells vets no lower drinking age

AP

SCRANTON, Pa. - Democrat Barack Obama on Monday promised Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans help with their grievances — save one. "I know it drives you nuts. But I'm not going to lower the drinking age," the presidential candidate said.

Army veteran Ernest Johnson, 23, of Connecticut, said one of the things that peeved him before he turned 21 was that he couldn't come home and drink a beer — even though he was old enough to serve in the armed services and die for his country.

Obama told Johnson he sympathized, but that setting the legal drinking age at 21 had helped reduce drunken driving incidents and should remain.

The Illinois senator was taping a round-table discussion with eight veterans that is to be broadcast by MTV on the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war.

Howard Noel, 28, of New York City, told Obama he "looked at the military as a good thing" when he enlisted. But when he returned, he said he was scorned by friends and, for a while, was homeless.

"The problem has not been our military — the problem has been our civilian leadership," Obama said. "There's no way you should end up homeless." He said he would, if elected, put into force a program that would guarantee at least transitional housing for homeless veterans.

Seven of the eight veterans raised their hands when Obama asked who had suffered emotional or mental problems as a result of their service.

Christina Correa, 23, of California, said she believed she might have post-traumatic stress disorder, but that it was especially hard for women to find treatment. "They took my name down, but I never heard back," she said.

"The notion that you wouldn't have services available to you is inexcusable," Obama said. He said the military should start the process of treating soldiers suspected of post-traumatic stress disorder "before you are discharged."

The segment, sponsored by MTV and The Associated Press, was taped in the back room of "Whistles," a sports bar where a full blown St. Patrick's Day celebration was under way. Before the taping, Obama circulated among the celebrants at the bar, shaking hands and getting his picture taken — in a pale blue tie.

Asked why he wasn't wearing green, Obama said, "This is embarrassing." But his campaign signs were green, instead of the customary blue, and his name appeared as "O'bama," in a nod to the Irish ancestry from his mother's side of the family that he sometimes speaks of.

Obama explained that since his Chicago hometown held a big St. Patrick's Day celebration two days ago, "I sort of lost track" of the actual date.

But he said he would rectify the oversight later Monday when he addressed a St. Patrick's Day dinner sponsored by the Irish Women's Society. He wore a green necktie. "I confiscated one from one of my staffers," he said.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Women and PTSD

Gee, maybe she should have listened during her TAP classes when she was getting out and she would have known there was a Vet Center in every major city and in tons of small ones. I don't know why she would have to have a special place because she's a woman unless it was a rape....then, since when did the VA stop having Clinical Social Workers and Psychologists to help her out? Wonder what the homless guy did with all the money he made while overseas? All that taxfree dough....way more than we ever dreamed of, and he comes back, gets out, and is homeless for awhile? Sounds like poor planning to me.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default And

There is a thing called a domicilliary to house homeless vets and even a vocational rehab where they can get a job and work while staying there. Oh, yeah, my Vet Center includes rape and sexual trauma counseling in it's list of services.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Right Doc!

I thought they had included that in their repitoire but wasn't sure. The VA also has a helluva homless Vet program. Sounds like more "Winter Soldier" crap to me. Also I love the audacity of Obama being so pompus about the drinking age. I guess when he was in the service he never wanted an adult beverage? Oh, that's right, he never served. Here comes the new boss....same as the old boss. (We won't get fooled again. The Who, 1969)

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Obama admitted to doing drugs when he was young. Do as I say, not as I do!