The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2002, 07:30 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Fax sent to Bits

from as Bits put it "I guy I pulled out of the weeds over there"

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2002, 07:39 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default He sent me the following

as the fax was of an old newspaper clipping....Some of the words were just not clear...but you get the drift...I took the liberty of posting it as I doubt that he ever would...

Thank you Bits and "Welcome Home Sir"

QUANG TRI - - It was either get them out or give them up, "and that was no choice," said Major Harvey E. Britt. "The reconnaissance team had to get out and we were the only ones around to do it."

The 3rd Marine Division recon team was in the middle of a North Vietnamese Army stronghold two miles northeast of Dong Ha Mountain.

For the night time mission, Brtitt, (Shreveport, La.) led two CH-46 transports from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 262. An OV-10 Bronco and pair of UH-1E Huey gunships from Marine Observation Squadron 6 were also scrambled.

With the weather deteriorating and too poor for close support by jet aircraft it was necessary for the helicopter pilots to supply their own firepower and to move quickly before the low ceilings forced them to delay the mission.

The Bronco fired flares and led the way, said Britt. My wingman and I followed, flanked by the gun birds".

As the OV-10 circled just below the clouds, the Hueys started their rocket runs ??????? positions reported by the recon team on the ground.

The team had heard movement on one side of the mountain and directed the Huey rockets to that area, but when the small gunships were in the middle of their run, fire erupted all around them.

"It was really the enemy?s downfall," recalled Britt, "because then we had his position spotted from the muzzle flashes. The enemy emplacements were blasted again and again by the Huey rockets. Gradually the NVA were forced to forget about the outnumbered Leathernecks on the ground and lick their own wounds.

"It wasn?t long before the enemy fire had died down quite a bit," recalled the Marine pilot, "So,(???), with a Huey in front and another behind us, I decided to attempt to get into the zone, hoping the gun birds had knocked out most of the positions."

With a .50-cal. Machine gun blazing from each side of the transport, the crew chief firing his ?16, and Hueys darting overhead, the Sea Knight dropped down to the waitingh Marines.

As the rescue aircraft touched down the team began a quick sprint across open ground, firing from the hip as they ran. After scrambling aboard, they continued to fire as the aircraft quickly lifted, (????), out of the hostile zone. Another patrol and mission successfully completed.

Even Marine Corps Corporal contributors to the Stars and Stripes can hype things up. I didn't say none of them things. My teeth were chattering so bad I couldn't even talk.

Later,

H_______

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default The guy called Bits

another reunion brought about by the wonders of technology..

a voice from the past calling to say thank you...

Very cool...

Arrow>>>>

Old 12-19-2002, 12:59 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Thank You Harvey

...and all the pilots and crews that flew into the teeth of the dogs of war to bring the bacon..and mostly SAVE it.God bless you all and welcome home!

Peace,Griz
Old 12-19-2002, 03:38 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default rescue

I don't know any guy on the ground that hasn't thanked God when they saw that big bird comming. And kissed the ground when it landed.
Ron
Old 12-19-2002, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thank you Harvey - and sis. Dong Ha and the Z are forever in my heart. Thank you.