Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2003, 05:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Red/Green California Map

2003 California Statewide Special Election
Shall Gray Davis be recalled?

Explanation: "Yes" and "No" are each identified with a color/pattern combination (see legend).
The color/pattern combination in each county indicates whether the majority of voters in that county voted "Yes" or "No".

The number in each county indicates the percentage by which the majority of voters voted "Yes" or "No" in that county.

http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov/Returns/recall/mapN4.htm

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2003, 05:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Its Conservative Rural vs. Moderate Urban.

Conservative Rural vs. Moderate Urban.

Glad he's out. He and the spenders ruined the California economy.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I Agree Keith
Old 10-09-2003, 07:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No big surprise that the eastern counties went ?yes? as they have been clamoring for Guv Davis?s scalp from day one and before. According to the map it appears that Sacramento went ?yes? and that is a big surprise, but I may be misreading the map. I expected the bay area to be a firm ?No? but I?m a bit surprised that Los Angeles was such a narrow No. A one percent margin in the land of the LA Times, Hollywood and all is a bit of a shocker. I would have bet LA was going to hand Arnold his head on a platter. Well I?m glad I don?t make book for a living.

Scamp
Old 10-09-2003, 03:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default AGAINST THE FLOW

I live in Alameda County, the 70% one directly across the Bay from San Francisco. I voted "YES" on the recall. I wrestled with this decision right up to THE day. I felt [and still do] that the recall was ethically wrong. The man was legally voted into office in NOV by a majority of the voters. This state of affairs didn't just occur in the last 11mos.. He was voted back in for a second term. We were well aware of his track record, or should have been. To me, a recall would be equivelent to an impeachment. To be used in the case of misuse of power; personal use of state funds; outright stealing from the state, or some other CRIMINAL act. Davis did none of these things. Having the personality of a turnip or being stupid isn't a criminal act. Also, I have concerns about this becoming a precedent. Are we going to recall Arnold if we're unhappy with him? Or if the opposing party wants to make a power grab for the seat back? This needs to be rewritten so this fiasco can't happen again.

But, the door was opened. Your chance to get rid of him, if you wished, was offered. The things that finally made up my mind was the TRIPILING of the car registration fees and the driver's license for illegal aliens issue. Also, I voted for Arnold. I'm a registered DEM, and a moderate one. I DID NOT want to see the ultra-liberal Bustamonte in there, or the other end of the spectrum, McClintock. Him being a moderate Republican, I found Arnold appealing. Figured he would bring some much-needed balance to Sacramento. His inexperience is a concern, for sure. He also made some campaign promises that are going to be hard to keep. He's touted as a cut above the usual politician. We'll see.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tom,
I agree with your internal deliberations and assessment 100%. I?m just a frog?s hair to the right of you and didn?t like the concept of the recall at all. The best of all worlds would have been if the hue and cry went up, Guv Davis paid attention, and then formulated a satisfactory recovery plan. But it seems to me he violated the first law of holes; ?when ya are in a hole, stop digging?. My concern now is that Sacramento will spend productive time and effort fanning the fires of political partisan warfare and not address some long overdue issues.

Our politicos here watch Sacramento like a hawk and all too often try to mimic what they see and hear. That seldom works out and we get our fenders all bent up with the legislative crashing and bashing around. That?s going on right now and it appears that the FBI may investigate some legislative irregularities. The issue is our budget deficit and what is to be done about it. Seems as if some special interest groups are alleged to have been threatening legislators that oppose their tax increase proposal (read tax deflection proposal). Given who the special interest groups are and their alleged ties to ?eastern influences?, I would not be one to dismiss the threats lightly and a mackerel along with a 9mm parabellum round wouldn?t be an unprecedented event.
So the beat goes on.

scamp