The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Doc.2/47

Default "Rancid" Part II

Seems like I may have left the impression that Rancid was about a perfect dog.Weren't so.Too smart.

After he recovered from his injuries,I got to thinkin that he ought to be a natural to play "fetch" with-bein from retrever bloodlines an all-so I stopped by a toy store and picked up a hard rubber ball.The next time I caught him in between critter patrol and herdin kids,I figured I'd try him at it.Showed him the ball,then threw it and yelled "fetch!".Well,he went and got it just as pretty as you please and I was tickled to death.So I threw it again and told him to "fetch!"and again he brought it back.Far as I know those were the only two times he ever fetched anything besides people.The next time I threw the ball an told him to fetch he went an got it and brought it most of the way back but stopped just out of reach an I could see the wheels turnin in his head...{"Lets see...if I give this idjit the ball back he's just gonna throw it again an expect me to go get it.If he wants the dang thing so much why does he keep throwin it away?I'm doin all the runnin here an he's just setting.Naw, THAT ain't gonna happen!"}.So he eased on in an acted like he was gonna give the ball back but when I reached for it he jerked it away.{"Whoops!...not fast enough.Wanna try again?Here,I'm make it real easy for ya...get it right by your hand...Hay!Ya almost got it that time!"}.From that day forth he kept that ball an used it to tease me with.He'd bring it out every now and then and I'd usually end up chasein him around the yard callin him nasty names.He loved it.Guess if you're gonna play with a dog ya oughta be smarter than he is.

Huntin didn't work out too well either.Took him out after rabbits.Figured I'd have to kick one out and shoot it so he'd figure out what it was we were doin;then I'd let him smell it and then I hoped he'd use his nose to find and flush em and I'd shoot em.Didn't work out that way.I finally kicked one out and I guess that rabbit made it maybe six or eight feet before Rancid pounced on him.{"This what we lookin for?Here ya go...whoops...not fast enough!"}.Figured it was a fluke,so when he got done eatin that one we went lookin for another.Same thing all over again.I flushed it;he pounced on it.I gave it up after that.There is somethin that is just plain ass-backwards about the hunter flushin rabbits for the dog to kill.

Gotta get ready for work.Will try to continue Rancid tales in the AM.

Hal
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2003, 06:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default smart dogs

I was out pheasant hunting with 2 other guys, one of whom had a an English pointer. We were in sort of a triangle formation when the dog flushed a pheasant which began to fly in a circle. First the dog's owner fired and missed. Then the 2nd guy fired and missed. I fired and missed. Then the 1st guy again fired and missed. All this time the dog is chasing the bird round and round. After the 4th shot the pheasant finally flew off in a straight line away from us and out of range. The dog stopped running, turned to us and gave us a look that said, "What a bunch of f***in' idiots!", trotted off and refused to return no matter how (or what) the owner called him. Later we went back to the 1st guy's house and there's the dog, sleeping in front of the wood stove. I guess it was his way of telling us that if we're going to make him work that hard, we had better get some results.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Doc.2/47

Course that's what he was sayin.And I'm sure you heard him loud and clear after y'all missed that bird.All animals "talk" it's just that there's lots of folks around too blame stupid to know what they're sayin.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:46 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Hey! Where's the rest of the story? Are you gonna finish it 'fore Christmas?

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:03 AM
Doc.2/47

Dunno sparrow,kinda scared to.I stuck Rancid II on here and immediately folks stopped droppin by the VN forum.Weren't but two or three folks even poke their heads in the door the last 2-3 days.Fraid if I write any more I'm liable to turn the whole site into a wasteland.Then the government would likely grab me up to start posting on Middle Eastern forums and I don't speak-much less write-no raghead.Might be a bad idea.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:07 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Not to worryDoc the site always slows down weekends and holidays.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-21-2003, 08:24 AM

Doc,
I thought, by the title of your story, you were talking about a rock band. I looked in out of curiosity and found a great story.

Please tells us what happened next! I'm a sucker for a good soap opera.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 12-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Doc.2/47

Well,Diana wants me to finish too.Who am I to argue if "The chicks dig it."

Hafta be tommorow though.Gearing up for a 12hr. shift.

Sparrow,I ain't takin the blame if everbody leaves.You were warned.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Like Griz always tells me. Don't worry about the old mule just load the wagon.

That makes three of us that will be readin' it will be four when the LT gets back. There ain't no way he would be passin' up a dog story.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Come on Doc. I want to hear about this dog almost as much as going fishing with you in April . My grand baby will be riding by Normandy today coming back from his Great grandmas arms in Nashville