The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Memorials

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM

Unhappy Noticing a Sad Trend

I was reading a small local paper this afternoon and I noticed when I looked at the Obituaries that half of them were WWII vets. Three out of the four men listed were vets and the disturbing part is this one little quote,

"Served in the Army/Navy/Merchant Marines during WWII"

Nothing more was said about these men's service. Think of how much history and life lessons were lost because either they didn't want to talk about (most were not encourage to talk about those years) or no one really listened when they did talk, "Oh Dad's just telling his old stories again".

It just struck me how sad it is to only see that little sentence to sum up a long lifetime.

Here in NY we have what they call a Living Memorial. Stephanie Bonenfant at Stratton VA Hospital, Albany, NY is on this historical preservation organization. They are always looking for written and even better still, live first hand recordings of events in military history. Even I am a part of this memorial. I STRONGLY encourage everyone in NY to participate and speak with friends who don't use this forum get them involved in this too! Pass your knowlege on to the next generation, maybe it will help them to not repeat our government's past mistakes.

If anyone would like the forms PM me with your mailing address and I can get her to send them directly to you or I can pick them up from her and get them to you.

Please don't be like these men...lost to the ages.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links