The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > National Guard/Reserves

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Arrow Army National Guard captain: US withdrawal from Syria 'immoral' and 'un-American'

Army National Guard captain: US withdrawal from Syria 'immoral' and 'un-American'
By: Jessica Campisi - The Hill News - 10-19-19
RE: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...nd-un-american

Alan Kennedy, a captain in the Colorado Army National Guard who spent the summer serving in northern Syria, said in a recent video that President Trump’s removal of U.S. troops from the region is “immoral” and “un-American.”

“Weeks ago, our commander in chief announced he was pulling our last troops out of the region,” Kennedy told The New York Times in a video published Friday. “Ever since, I haven’t been able to sleep at night."

"Our complete withdrawal from Syria is unstrategic, immoral and ultimately un-American,” he said, adding, “I can’t believe President Trump let this happen … I strongly believe the president’s decision may prolong a war, rather than end it.”

While echoing Trump’s sentiment that the U.S. should “end endless wars,” Kennedy said “building alliances, maintaining stability in the region and supporting our allies” is how to be successful. He referenced his meetings with Kurdish allies who joined American troops in fighting against ISIS forces in the region.

“I met a Kurdish fighter who asked me if we would ever leave Syria. I reassured him, ‘Of course the U.S. would never leave Syria and abandon the Kurds.’ They’re our partners,” Kennedy said. “I was wrong.”

Trump has faced backlash from lawmakers and service members after the White House abruptly announced earlier this month that U.S. troops would be pulled from northern Syria — a move that GOP and Democratic critics say paved the way for Turkey to launch a military offensive against the Kurds in the area, abandoning forces who were a key ally in fighting against the Islamic State.

Trump administration officials touted what they called a victory after Vice President Pence announced Thursday that the U.S. and Turkey had reached a ceasefire to suspend Ankara’s incursion into northern Syria, but Turkey's foreign minister later said the agreement was “not a ceasefire.”

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links