The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My dog is dying ...

My 9 1/2 year Sheltie's ( Sable ) kidneys are shutting down. I noticed she wasn't eating well and was losing weight ( 11 lbs in past year ) so I took her to the vet. She gave her an IV sort of thing and some antibiotics. I have to take her back today for the kidney test to see how long she has. This is the first pet we have ever lost as a family and it is real tough with all the other mess we have had to deal with. If any of you have had a similar situation and can let me know what to do for her I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Larry
Old 11-02-2004, 12:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

another
Old 11-02-2004, 12:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

larry,
I know how hard it is to let go of an animal you love as much as you love her.. I had a cat I had to decide what to do with. All I could think about was I don't want him in pain.. If I am selfish and keep him he would be in lots of pain.. So as hard as it was on me i had him put down..
Trust me been there done that.. and i know how hard it is..I know you are going thru more then you deserve to ever go thru in your life..
Just do me one favor.. Think about her too.. She might be in pain and not show it.. Ask all the questions today when you are at the Vet.Then go from there.. I am soooooooooo sorry to hear such sad news... Lord knows you don't deserve it......
Love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I wish they could live longer. Very sorry to hear this Larry. Don't wait long before getting another
Old 11-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Doc.2/47

Awful sorry to hear of this additional sorrow.
Comes a time when life becomes a punishment that cannot be corrected or understood.You know her and will know when that time has come.Waiting too long is at least as wrong as acting too quickly.

Again.I'm sorry.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Geez Larry , who picked THIS row to hoe ? Last year right after our friend Frank , x- grunt , died my dog , Bart , died of kindey failure. I could not do much except cry for a couple of days. Sharon went to the pound and rescued a dog that was giong to be put down the next day. A year and a half old German Shepard mix. I named him Frank , he is my son. Don't let your dog suffer and get a new dog right away is my advice Larry. This to shall pass Larry , keep movin brother
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bp70098.jpg (12.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-02-2004, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

She is absolutely beautiful. I know this must be an extremely hard time for you right now. But, Doc is right...........A wait to long may be as wrong as acting to soon. Trust in your own judgement and Sable will let let you know when the time has come...believe me, I know.

We lost our blessed little Angel (that was her name), our "buff' or "blond" Cocker Spaniel 5 years ago when her kidneys finally stopped working as well. She was 16 and 1/2 years old and had grown up with our children and was much one of "babys" as were our own kids.

Hardest thing I EVER had to do was stand there and hold her while the vet put her under and watch her little body stop breathing. We cried and mourned for weeks and weeks afterward.

It took about a year before we could muster up the courage to look for another companion. Found her (our new little baby.....Ladybug...A black Cocker) about 4 years ago when a neighbors female had pups and she was the last one left in the litter.

Damn, I really believe the "spirit" of Angel lives to this day in this little black Ladybug. She has the same personality and is just as loving and loyal as she was. We are so very lucky and blessed to have her.

I'm sure the same will apply to you when the time comes.

God Bless,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Default This may Help

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 11-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Afternoon sandstorms blowing through, heavy showers. I know it's dumb but I like to think Frank is taking care of Bart and they are waiting on the other side of Rainbow Bridge watching for me to show up every evening. It's like Frank gave me his bike to take care of and watch over and I gave Frank my dog to take care of and watch over. Damn sandstormes !
Old 11-02-2004, 11:07 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Sometimes I think losing a pet is tougher than losing a family member. A pet gives love unconditionally. All they ask in return is some food, water, and an occaisional scratch behind the ears.

I had a great cat I had to put down a few years ago. He was 16 pounds of good friend and a great mouser. He developed cancer on his tongue and couldn't eat or drink. As much as I hated to do it, I couldn't stand to see him suffer so I took him to the vet for the final time. I felt awful for a couple of days but it was the right thing to do.