The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2004, 12:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Years ago..............

you used to have a concrete system for naming ships. Subs (SS)were named after fish or marine life. Cruisers (CL, CA) were cities, Destroyers (DD or DE) were usually a famous sailor or officer, Battleships (BB) were states and so on.

In the Coast Guard you had 378 foot secretary class cutters named after Secretaries of the Treasury. You had Ocean going tugs named after Indian tribes, 255 foot cutters were known as the Lake Class as they were name after bodies of water. The Coast Guard now has a 270 foot cutter known as the "Famous" class named after previously famous Coast Guard Cutters such as the Spencer, Campbell or Bear.

Now things are all messed up. Subs can be people or cities witness USS Jefferson City or USS George Washington, both subs but different classes. Some Frigates were named after people (Spruance) Some Frigates are now named after Cities. Soon there will be a sub launched, The Virginia, named after a state.

It used to be you could tell what a ship was just by hearing its name. Not so anymore.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2004, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Rockland County?? My old stomping grounds, I use to watch the train pass through Congers as a kid! Folks use to have a home in Congers that was an old boarding home for the Rail Road workers.
I worked in New City for quite some time.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

[quote]Originally posted by BLUEHAWK Hey SparrowHawk!
Ya got a patch? Maybe post it under your handle as an avatar, if you go to the gallery button at the top o' this and every page... We have a MASTER webmaster in David, he knows how to do stuff if you need help.
QUOTE]

If I can shrink the patch small enough, I'll use it, so far no joy! I did post an old Indy patch in the Gallery. I'll give it a few more tries before I call on the web master.

Not all helo's fly, here's one that went for a swim! It was successfully pulled out of the drink and was up and flying a few weeks later!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 01-27-2004, 01:31 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sparrow if you are familiar with the geography, my home is not far from the intersection of Rte 9W and Railroad Avenue. I'm about half way between West Point and Congers. :-)

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

The ABH who was TAD to the MAA while on CVA... holy smokes.

We Zoomies do not think kindly towards rotary propellers... does not sit well, though we know it sometimes works very well. Fundamentally, we think they DO not fly... they sorta swim in the air... don't like 'em :-)

Too much like trying to spin a motor, or fire an M-1 under water.

:-)
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamaroa Sparrow if you are familiar with the geography, my home is not far from the intersection of Rte 9W and Railroad Avenue. I'm about half way between West Point and Congers. :-) Bill

Let's see if I went to the corner I could buy a Dodge, travel towards Congers to buy a Hot Dog at Rock'in Ron's Truck, go the other way to buy a cone a Hoyer's! I think I have a clue where you hail from. Didn't your AL in that town burn down awhile back, there's a crazy Jar Head who hangs out there uses the name DOC.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK The ABH who was TAD to the MAA while on CVA... holy smokes.
We Zoomies do not think kindly towards rotary propellers... does not sit well, though we know it sometimes works very well. Fundamentally, we think they DO not fly... they sorta swim in the air... don't like 'em :-)
Too much like trying to spin a motor, or fire an M-1 under water.
:-)
First mess of Navy terms is easy, I was an Aviation bosun Mate Handler second class (E5) who was temporally Assigned Duties to the Master At Arms (Navy MP's) while on a former Attack Carrier which was reclassed as a Carrier. But I didn't re-up for a third time due to my MCOC CC telling me he was going send my ass to NORVA to catch the first flattop doing a Megelan. I knew I'd be topside dragging knuckles again, so screw that.

Us flattop guys loved the helo's, H-3, H-46, H-53. They served as plane guard to pull us out of the wet stuff when we found it on accident. They brought mail, supplies, took us home and brought new guys to us.
Although it's a bit hard to see in the photo, this helo never got that wet. Her chip light went red, and she tried to get back to the deck. Her transmission failed and she lost forward flight. Indy tried to get under neath her, but we arrived to late. The Prop Jock flying her gently put her down into the sea. They have a flotation ring that can manually be deployed from the pontoon.
Known as a horse shoe she maintained a steady sea state. The Indy pulled along side, and after a bit of doing we craned the helo back on board. The helo got a fresh water bath and a tranny change and was up and flying in about two weeks time.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Well, I can see where anyone aboard a flat top would look kindly on a rotor... that is very clear... I know they perform amazing service for the squids, and did more than their share of pick up and delivery in a few recent wars... I was just jerking chains.

I get that way sometimes...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:01 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Let's see if I went to the corner I could buy a Dodge, travel towards Congers to buy a Hot Dog at Rock'in Ron's Truck, go the other way to buy a cone a Hoyer's! I think I have a clue where you hail from. Didn't your AL in that town burn down awhile back, there's a crazy Jar Head who hangs out there uses the name DOC.
Yep you ol' airdale. It did. Great guys there. My son was given several awards from that group while he was a cadet at North Rockland NJROTC. I was a snipe myself. Just call me "chips".

Hoyers is a couple hundred yards north of me.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-27-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK Well, I can see where anyone aboard a flat top would look kindly on a rotor... that is very clear... I know they perform amazing service for the squids, and did more than their share of pick up and delivery in a few recent wars... I was just jerking chains.

I get that way sometimes...
I didn't think you were jerking chains. Now about those huge sloppy C-5's....