The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2004, 07:29 PM

Question Maybe one of you "more experienced" gentlemen may have known my Dad..

One of my greatest sorrows is that one year after I joined the Navy, my hero-of-a-Dad passed away. I grew up as a child staring at his neat collection of Navy aircraft models on his dresser, which defense contractors had given him. He had A-4s, an F-4, Vigilante, F-8U Corsair, a Demon, and a few others I can't recall... not to mention the numerous photos and plaques on his bedroom walls.
Being a brat growing up through the Post-Vietnam era, I never really asked him much about the Navy. Then at the age of 26, I joined "to get an education" as so many others did. Well, I sure got one alright.
I wound-up being part of a VS squadron which set nearly every record in the book. What a great team VS-38 became.
But as I noted above, Dad passed away before I could spend time with him gleaning any pearls of wisdom from an "old-school" guy who helped to write the book on Naval Carrier Aviation.

To any WWII era Navy men who may read this, my father is Paul Max Harbaugh, (Cdr. USNR Ret.)
He flew TBMs and SBDs, in the South Pacific aboard the USS Lunga Point. At the end of his 23 year career in 1965, he was stationed at NAS Miramar attached to CVG-12.
To those interested in reading an article he wrote for a 1962 issue of Naval Aviation News , entitled, "Where Stands the LSO"... please go to the LSO School at NAS Oceana.
http://www.nasoceana.navy.mil/lso/U...ficerSchool.htm
I also submitted an original copy of the very first LSO NATOPS Manual, complete with his photo on the cover.

Thank YOU veterans for giving me the opportunity to live free.

Dana F. Harbaugh
Former AW2 Naval Aircrewman
S-3A Viking Tailhook SENSO
VS-38, CVW-2, USS Ranger (CV-by-God-61)
Desert Shield / Desert Storm / Kurdish Invasion
Night Armed Scouts for AirWing 2
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2004, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Hard Ball, hey there shipmate how's things?
Been scratching my head on your request. I can't find to much current history on CVG-12, it all seems to stop about the Korean War time frame. Do some checking into TBM Avenger Grumman Aircraft and Douglas SBD Dauntless sites and associations. Look at US Navy Yahoo Groups, HULLNUMBER.COM, The Goat Locker.
Check the dates on those plaques and photos, they could have been major events that are cataloged at other Navy sites. If you think there is info on the back of the photos, find out for sure. As a last thought have you contacted the LSO (Landing Signal Officer) school for any possible information?

So, you were an Viking Squadron Puke? At least you deployed on a good boat. I was ships company Airedale on your sister ship the Independence from 1980 to 1983. I think VS-28 had the record for a successful four man ejection and subsequent longest time for an S-3 to sink. I always liked the Hoover, she's an easy bird to move and launch. I've heard her role has changed from subhunter to more of an AWACs mission.
Any way you keep in touch with us here. I'll keep digging and see what I can find for you.

Former ABH-2, Ships Company, Air Department
USS Independence CV-62, crew of 1980-83

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-14-2004, 11:13 AM

I'm curious. I didn't know that Corsair put out an F-8U. I knew about the F-4U, one of my all time favs. That bird could haul A$$!

If you have a picture of the F-8U could you please post it? This old AV Mech would love to see it.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-14-2004, 12:14 PM

Talking You're absolutely correct, my error...

I meant, F-7U Cutlass... Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

HB
Old 03-14-2004, 12:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Hardball...
I think this might be on point, from the personal side...

My dad served at Los Alamos (as well as Leonard Wood, Camp Crowder and West Point) during WWII, made a little bit of rank and went his way.

He later remarried, and the woman will NOT let me have his military records, patches and what not... I've asked nicely several times. He died about 8 years ago...had asked me what I wanted, and I told him. Still cannot get that stuff.

Dunno, maybe not on point, just a thought.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:32 PM

Default That's truely a shame...

In my particular case, after my Dad passed away, my Mom was so distraught after losing her husband of 49 years that she started throwing stuff into the trash...LITERALLY. My Dad had boxes full of irreplaceable Navy memoriabilia that are now at the bottom of the City Landfill near Miramar Air Station. I have tried over the years to hold onto what was not thrown out. I have three older brothers who show little interest in the items; even though I know that their children will one day ask, "What did Grandpa do in the Navy?" So I have become the quasi-caretaker for the stuff.

In your case, all I can say is try to make the best argument you can to prove to his wife that the items are of both sentimental value as well as historical significance, and that you wish to honor his service by the means you see most fit.

HB
Old 03-14-2004, 02:34 PM

Default To Sparrowhawk...Sorry about not replying...

In a rush right now, but I'll try to address your questions noted above asap.

Thanks

HB
Old 03-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Re: To Sparrowhawk...Sorry about not replying...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardball In a rush right now, but I'll try to address your questions noted above asap.
Thanks
HB
Hard Ball, no rush shipmate, I've got your six.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-14-2004, 06:51 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

If you are a veteran or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, you may now use vetrecs.archives.gov to order a copy of your military records.

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/m...l_records.html

Joy

Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 AM

Hardball,

Sorry I didn't reply before now. I lost track of the thread. I just looked up the F-7U Cutlass on Janes site. It is a real beauty.

Definately check out the site that Joy listed. I suggest everyone check up on their records and put in for the corrections if need be.

I pulled my own service records and found that the military left off one of my medals and didn't give me credit for the last three years of reserve service that I pulled shortly before desert storm. It might explain why I was never recalled even though I had a special designator on my MOS. Aircraft Crash Recovery Team. They certainly would have used me when that C5 went down in Germany.

I too am the family historian. And although my brothers are very close to my father they have never asked for any of his military history, heck they never write to me at all. But I would gladly give them the originals...after I make a copy for myself.

Sparrow, you might try that approach with your former stepmom. Tell her how much this means to you, to know about your father's life. Suggest that you understand that she loved him and does not want to part with all that she has left of him. Ask her if she would go with you to Kinkos and make copies of his records and photos. Tell her that you are willing to pay for the services. This way she is reasured that you are not going to leave her with nothing. This might ease things just a little. She might even be able to share some stories with you that he only told to her. Sometimes the soft approach is the best approach.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan