The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Black Flaged

did ya ever get Black Flaged? The VC had a way of letting you know they were there, They would leave a small 1'x1' flag stuck in the ground just outside your possition. Phsycological effect I guess, Didn't bother me. Come on back and get your flag.

Got a picture if ya need to be refreshed.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Along the DMZ they would leave cool stuff for us. Still got a wallet card calander of 1971 on one side and " Not one more day here ! " printed on the other side compliments of the NLF. At first I wondered what the National Football League was doing dropping calanders all over the Z but finally figured it out. Duh.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking I REMEMBER

seeing these a few times. One time near Tuy Hoa they left a bunch of our own CHIEU HOI flyers scattered around just outside our perimeter . That's okay. We left them calling cards, too. The 101st issued us a deck of cards with the Screaming Eagle on the back. All ace of spades. Just to let them know who was pissing in their backyard. Was supposedly an unlucky symbol to them. Had a Kit Carson tell me once that they didn't have a word for "EAGLE," so called us "THE CHICKEN MEN" . I hope that was used in only the VERY BEST of respectable ways .
Old 01-06-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default chicken

we used to call them chicken men also. But there was respect along with the jab.

Lt.
Got a picture ? like to see that card.

Ron
Old 01-06-2004, 11:18 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Wink story

Never saw a black flag, that I remember, but did see VC flags, knives stuck in the ground, pith helmets etc. most were boobie trapped, generally no one touched them.

Frisco mentioned his calling card. I have a story. In May ?68 our Battalion and the ? Cav from the 1st Division were protecting Ton Son Nhut air base. Many bad guys were trying to do a ?non instant replay? of Tet and wanted to get into the air base. We set up as a blocking force. May 27-28 of ?68 we fought a long battle and killed about 200 NVA who?s bodies were left on the field (actually it was 216 but who?s counting). It was our only human wave, bad idea for the other team.

On the 28th a couple of Rome plows came out and dug trenches we threw the bodies into the holes, then the Rome plows covered the bodies. When they were done there was one arm, from the elbow up, sticking straight up out of the trench. One of our guys ran out to the trench, took off his rank pin, put a 25th Division patch on the palm of the guys hand and attached it with the rank pin. Someone took a photo of the hand sticking out of the ground which was reproduced many times.

Gallows humor, a sick joke, pride in our unit, happiness it wasn?t our hand, I don?t know. Just wish I still had that picture. Of course it was also a message, don?t screw with the Electric Strawberry.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 01-06-2004, 04:01 PM

Super Chicken was my favorite cartoon as a kid! I just couldn't help but think of it when I read your post, Tom!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default VC calling card

Youv'e been black flaged.

Ron