The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile Update on HR 2369 - Press Conference at Balboa Park

The press conference went off very well. I would have liked to have seen more patriots in attendance, but those who were there were absolutely great!

Congressman Robert Filner, a really good & Patriotic gentleman, hosted the event on the steps of the War Memorial Building in Balboa Park , San Diego. This was not far from the home of the old Seventh Fleet, prior to them leaving for Pearl Harbor and an appointment with destiny!

There were quite a few veterans in attendance as well, including ex-POWs, some service personnel (including BM3 Lee Lavender - a veteran of some 8 years in the Navy), the Military Order of the Purple Heart, American ex-POWs, Korean War POWs, Tiger Survivors, and other well-respected organizations as well! "Even BM3 Lavender's mother and young daughter were in attendence!"

Congressman Filner again pledged his support for the Bill (HR 2369, Honoring Our Fallen Prisoners of War) and vowed to carry on until it was passed into law!

Sergeant Shorty Estabrook (Retired Founder of The Tiger Survivors) was also there to talk, himself being an ex-POW from the Korean War, as was San Diego Channel's 10 and 6. Channel 10 (KGTV) ran the story on their 5 o'clock news. As of this point, however, I do not believe that Channel 6 (Fox) has aired the segment?

Unfortunately, however, Congressman Hunter (Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee), could not attend or have a rep there that I could see?

Neither Senator Boxer nor Senator Feinstein showed up, even though invited, and unfortunately, neither did Congressperson Mary Bono, who's is the Congressperson in Shorty Estabrook's district, and who received a personal invitation!

David was there and it was greatly appreciated. He is the main man on Patriot Files.com, and a really conscientious American in my opinion!

RICK
Old 11-06-2005, 03:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Way to go Hardcore.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

And way to go, David. Once again I thank you for all you do.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

I totally agree - it was great of David to show up and lend his support!!

RICK
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I was glad to attend and get to meet so many fellow patriots. My hat goes off to you Rick for all of the work you do behind the scenes in support of veterans. I have no doubt the goals set at the press conference will be met
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

DAVE - I really hope so!!

RICK
Old 11-08-2005, 07:07 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

This just in from Channel 6, FOX. As you know, Channel 10 (ABC) did run the story on the news conference. Unfortunately, FOX did not. They just sent me this explanation....
----------------------------------------------

Rick,

Unfortunately the press conference along with a few other stories did not air Friday night due to breaking news. An armed carjacking, kidnapping suspect was on the loose in south San Diego, and that story bumped several other stories out of our news broadcast that night. I will suggest to our producer and managing editor that we take another look at the Purple Heart legislation since it will affect so many military families including families in the San Diego region.

Best,

Eric Collins