The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Favors/something nice ( this aint no darn poll )

Has anyone ever done or received a nice jesture of help in any sort ?

I was just watching Gunsmoke, and Chester gave his time, money, and borrowing things to make an empty house livable for a Widow and her Daughter. and didnt expect anything in exchange for his deeds.

Just wondering if anything like this has effected any of you.

Cant be relative or close friend, just someone you dont know, and they dont know you.

Cant be like Ron ( saving lives all the time ), or giving the homeless ( yes, right ) a dollar at the Bus Station or the Corner.

Think about it, SOMETIME IN YOUR LIFE IT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU OR SOMEONE YOU HAVE CONTACTED THROUGH EVERY DAY LIFE.

enough..........
Old 02-19-2004, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up Pay it Forward

Yeah Reeb,
It happened to me 20 years ago in April. I was at the lowest point in my life. I was 9 months pregnant with a child out of wedlock and I was so sure I was going to keep the child and love her and raise her. Okay so I was 19 and dumber than dirt but I had ideas and dreams.
I was brand new in the AF Reserves and since I was that far into my pregnancy they wouldn?t let me drill. Go figure. Anyway, my military pay was my only source of income and since I wasn?t drilling I was receiving a paycheck. No paycheck = no food. I was living in a trash heap of an apartment that was actually an old roadside motel converted into efficiencies. And when I say roadside I mean little more than a car length from my door to the road. Anyone who?s been to North Seattle knows Aurora Ave, yep that?s the road. I kept a ferret for a pet and I was the only apartment that the rats stayed out of.
Anyway, every day I would walk down the road to a little trailer park with a private pond and feed the ducks. This was my exercise and it got me outside. The lady that managed the park was nice enough to let me come down and not kick me out since it was private and all. I never learned her name, shame on me.

The day I went into labor she showed up at my door (how she knew it was mine, I?ll never know). She was driving one of those old wood-sided station wagons that are nearly a mile and half long. It was filled with groceries and baby items. There was a quilt that she sewed herself. All I could do was cry. Her kindness and generosity could not be outweighed by my thanks. I asked her how I could ever repay her and she simply said to remember her when I am someday in a position when I can help someone out. I never forgot that and to this day I am one of the first in line to help and will gladly do so because I know I could never repay her no matter how many people I help along the way. She was an angel sent from heaven when I needed one most.

As for that baby, I gave her to a wonderful loving family who never could have a child of their own. She grew up to be a very beautiful young woman with a heart the size of the Montana Sky. She is making me a ?nanny? in June, just in time for my birthday. I saved that quilt and gave it to Devon when we finally met on her 18th birthday.

I?ve shared this story with my kids and I have tried to teach them to ?Pay it Forward?. Its certainly better than pay back.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

1989 my younger brother was dieing of AIDS and living with me and my family. He could not work, it was a strain on all of us On a train one day he gave away his last cigarette to a guy begging. I was pissed that I would have to buy him another pack and told him so . He said - That could be you someday . I have tried to look through my brothers eyes ever since. DL you done good , so did Richard. God bless us one and all.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM

LT,
She's the same kid that's not only making me a nanny, but is also doing what I didn't do at her age...getting married.
That punk kid better appreciate her half as much as I do!

;-)

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 02-21-2004, 04:06 AM

DL,

Congrats !!!!!!!

No better feeling in the whole wide world as becoming new Grandparent. Do you know the word S-P-O-I-L. ??????

Glad for your input on this.

enough.........