The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2005, 09:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Letter to the editor in my paper today about stop loss ( 21 months )

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...651089,00.html

Our troops are soldiers, not police

My wife and I have a son who has served honorably for the four years he has been in the Army, including one year in Iraq during the war.

He was to get out in November and come home. But the Army just informed him that home is now going to be Iraq and that he should be ready to deploy to Iraq in November.

The stop-loss order will keep him from coming home, and not for a short period. He will have to complete the full deployment of some 12 to 18 months, and the lockdown when they come back will take him approximately 21 months beyond his scheduled completion date.

My wife and I, as well as my son, recognize the need for seasoned help in war. We need experienced warriors. But since the hostilities were said to have ended, our warriors have been turned into glorified policemen. We support the Iraqi police and security forces. Instead of being the soldiers we trained them to be, they are being told by the news that we do not want to offend, so they stay off the streets in daytime so as to not upset the locals.

Why do we need my son, or any other son or daughter of this country, to have his tour extended to be a glorified policeman? Remember the term "volunteer Army"? Last time I checked, the dictionary did not include back-door draft as a definition for volunteer. And I would like to know when we started spelling "soldier" p-o-l-i-c-e-m-a-n. Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

Randy Miles

Collierville
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

When you raise your right hand and swear, you become a governmental pawn. The father doesn't seem to acknowledge this. As the son entered the Army, he made the choice to do as the government dictates or face the penalties of the UCMJ. The father has a legitimate gripe as do all the other families with loved ones involved it this "war."

There is a wide spectrum of opinions why we should or should not be in Iraq, but the fact remains, we're there, and he really doesn't have much choice.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:01 PM

I guess the Govt dont believe in ROTATION now a days.

You enlist or become a Reserveist and the Gov has your heart and soul for as long as they want it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but during the Nam era, didnt we as Vets have the choice of either reup for another 6 months there, or gather your seabag and head on home .

They dont do that anymore.

The persons in the service now , ( according to me ), are just there for a education ( college) and they cry cause they are called up for active duty.

Dont get me wrong now.

They joined and they should do the one year tour and not this crap now days. But NOONE to replace them, so they ( govt ) extend their duty.

I could go on and on about this thing, but I am not as smart as the GOVT.

enough......
Old 03-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Reeb

Thanks for not going on and on , but ya are.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

reeb,

There was also a draft during the Vietnam War, so replacements were readily available. Today, recruiters are going nuts because they can't make their quotas...no matter how much they lie!