The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2003, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Terminating Our Schools

Arnold has barely hit the ground, and already (according to a recent article), it may be our Golden State Schools that are ?TERMINATED!??

Sacramento - Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger alarmed education groups yesterday by suggesting that he might propose suspending the ?Proposition 98 School Funding Guarantee?, in order to help resolve the State?s budget crisis!?

Let me add that the California State Lottery was also (once) touted as a panacea to education? Never again, some claimed, would California schools be cash strapped! After all, the ?Beefy One (Mr. Hang-Around)? vowed that education and after-school programs were paramount on his ?To-Do List!!?

Yes indeed, and again quoting the media: ?The new governor?s comments quickly became the focus of the day!? I mean what the Hell, who needs a good education and an unadulterated English vocabulary to succeed?

VERITAS
Old 12-11-2003, 12:55 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default 0355

I've been tasting some Courvoisier Congnac and for some reason decided to check out this site. Read your post and had a thought. Japan has very high scores, much higher than the U.S. in reading and math. Yet Japan spends about half as much per student. Is it the money we spend on teachers and all the aids or is it the students? Have several friends who are teachers who say teens having sex is much more an issue that how many overhead slides they can have. Maybe money isn't always the answer.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:50 AM

I always thought that some percentage of the Lottery was meant to go for schools, and some for roads.

Here in Tx, that proves me wrong.

Wont be long till we have to buy the old schwinn bike, or the donkey for our kids to go and forth, or the old method, WALKING.

The polos get richer each year........

enough........
Old 12-11-2003, 05:34 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question

ANDY et al -

Good thoughts, however, and through absolutely no fault of the kids, the expense of education (no frills) is on the rise! A nation that is not willing or unable to keep pace, later regrets the choice!

Besides Andy, and as was proven out by the California Lottery, no matter what is cut back, some enterprising oaf will always find a way to re-direct any money that has been previously re-directed, into their own pockets, and again the schools end up on the bottom of the feeding chain, count on it!

Granted, schools in Japan are progressive and their kids strive hard to succeed. But back in the late 30s, this same fervor swept the Rising Sun, did it not!? These people are truly competitive, and I wish that (in some respects) so were we! Far too many here sit upon laurels and past achievements, contentively and unfortunately!

"We are at war, of this have no doubts!" Not just a war against terrorism alone, but indeed, a war of economic survival. We can not play the part of a Goliath in this war, arrogance and all! No-one (or nothing), is so big as to guarantee their eternal survival, unless of course, they bust their backs daily and exert as much energy and dedication into staying on top, as they did in getting there! "Education is the key, but one must still open up the door!"

It is my opinion that the kids of Japan are driven from birth to achieve in a society that exalts Kennedy's old speech about "Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country!" This is not elevating "Absolute Conservatism", over "Absolute Liberalism", not at all! Our nation became great by blending both and favoring neither!

If the people of Japan are able to accomplish more with less, then good for them! If the people of Germany are able to field more scientists than we, good for them! If the people of some African nations are able to produce people who can run faster or jump higher, good for them! "We are not going to be tops in all endeavors, this is unrealistic!

Our greatness rests in our diversity, and our diversity is fueled to "Success By Education (opinion)!" And again, and granted, Japan (and others) may be doing more with less, but comparing apples to apples, their system does not always find a way for a few to skim the cream from the top of their budgets, as some within our sytem do!? "And if it does take more money to keep our kids competitive, that is a small price to pay I think!?"

If those who lap up the gravy before a few drops manage to trickle down to our schools would be far less greedy, then maybe this budget crunch would not be less critical! And finally what they do in Japan (the old Jones' Scenario), might not work here? Granted, it probably could, but "when one talks sacrifice, he usually means "Let the other guy do it!" And I don't care how strapped the State (California) gets, robbing our kids to pay for pork, is a cardinal travesty!

As I recall, the federal government just showed their own dedication to "belt tightening" by (now get this) - "taking smaller pay raise this time around!"Now how many in that government do you think are truly worried (or even concerned) about public education!? "Not talk, but action-wise!!"

The open attitude once echoed by a (very wealthy) U.S. Senator, also from California, I feel is a nexus to what is happening now. When asked about rising gasoline prices in the State (years ago) he remarked: "I see nothing amiss with continuing to elevate fuel costs! If the poor can not afford gas, then let them stay at home, they have no place to go anyway!"

The previous statement reminds me of Ebenezer Scrooge, the Roman Senate, Marie Antoinette, and bureaucratic insanity, all rolled up into one odious little package! And for the record, is this not how the French and American Revolutions were begun - by systematically feeding off of the lean, while packing on the pork in already corpulant places!?

I hear where billions are being sent abroad to rebuild a nation that still is killing our people, and billions more to Africa to fight their poverty and diseases (noble indeed)! However, are not the needs of our own people, especially our kids, deserving of first consideration? This money is, after all, American tax dollars, and whom would you rather see benefit (first) from this cash - our kids, our veterans, our own poor and ill, our seniors, or some guy who will be taking pot-shots at you, a few years down the road!

While we are at it, why not send our tax billions over to France, Germany, or Russia perhaps? It seems to me that we just can not get our priorities in order!

You do not rob the stomachs and minds of the American needy, to feed the greed of foreign ingrates. Domestic Conservatism is grand, but not when you use a savings to glut a gaggle of Foreign Liberals with our own money and blood!!

"And by the way Friend Andy, pour a snifter of Courvoisier for us all! The weather here has taken a turn, and a chill is in the air!"

En vino - veritas
Old 12-11-2003, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Andy & HARDCORE...

Since California's State Lottery funds, much like most of New Jersey's deceitful taxpayer cost cutting panacea monies went south, in deep pockets or wherever,...what's-the-big-deal about not having a Prop. 98 School Funding GUARANTEE???

They way I see things (ie. realistically and historically),...the only benefitting from such as Prop. 98 would be for The NEA, those The NEA represent, and/or all Public School/College/University Administrators. Nothing will change for Public School Students from the lowest to highest levels,...while drastically and by political fiat raising Californian's Taxes to meet such an absurd GUARANTEE with Public Funds.

If cost cutting is really of concern (seriously doubt it),...wouldn't it be much simpler and wiser to just stop educating half of Mexico and many other foreigners from around The World with California Taxpayer Monies? I've no doubt whatsoever, in that if here in New Jersey if we stopped educating half of Latin America and other countries,...our absurdly high property taxes (how NJ Schools funded) wouldn't be nearly as absurdly high. I would state so even if New Jersey abolished all its State Lotteries simultaneously.

Besides, the more monies increased for schools,...THE WORSE THEY GET here in New Jersey,...and I can see no reason whatsover why The Public giving over more of their money to politicos in California,...would better The Students of California in any way, shape or form. All teachers, professors, administrators and The NEA greatly benefitting from such a FUNDING GUARANTEE,...OF COURSE!!! Also,...WHOM does one think are the main proponents and promoters of such an open cash register policy and/or special arrangement with Public Funds?

And besides,...only politicos and judges and their families have lifetime tenure, raises and security at PUBLIC EXPENSE. So, wouldn't it cruel and unusual punishment to The Public to also give teachers, professors and administrators lifetime tenure, raises and security at PUBLIC EXPENSE? Then too,...why also let teachers and such tap-into UNLIMITED Public Funds at whim? Don't: "We The (Schnooks)" get ripped-off enough with regularity by Our Political Lords normally doing so ENOUGH??? I certainly think so.

Neil
Old 12-11-2003, 01:49 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb another thought

I understand the arguments, valid points all. A great example of waste can be found in this state. The former speaker of the house retired to the job of president of U of Mass. One of the first things he did was hire six assistants making over $100,000 per year. There are horror stories at all levels. But it isn?t just the money!

Massachusetts spends about $9,000 per student per year. Yet it costs a lot less to go to community college. Why is it a lot more to send a kid to first grade than first year of college? Teacher?s Unions all over this country are as powerful as the auto works used to be.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a report, think it was on CNN, that said the city of New York has about 120 teachers who are on paid leave or still teaching who have been charged with or already found guilty of felonies. Many of the crimes took place on school grounds. One is being paid waiting to go to trial for sexually assault a child under the age of 14, a student. Except for congress, I know of no institutions like this.

When you go to graduate school you are required to take a test to get in. Lawyers have the LSATs, doctors have there own special test, but the vast majority of grad school candidates have to take one of two standard tests. What profession has the lowest passing score? Yep, teachers. A cop wanting a degree in law enforcement needs a high score than someone trying to become a teacher.

Then there is sex. Don?t know about your area?s of the country but we have lots of 14 year old girls pumping out babies. A third of our children are fatherless. The vast majority of these kids are not brought up with education being a priority.

I?m sorry guys but I don?t think American school children would improve much on the math and language tests if we spent $15,000 a year per student. More money for the kids is one of those warm and fuzzy things to say but results would require an overhaul of the schools themselves and maybe a little social responsibility.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 12-11-2003, 02:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default HC........

Not to rally to the cause of ?Arn the Mean? or anything, but he did state during his run for office that Proposition 98 would probably have to go on hold until the budget crisis was under control. He?s a man of his word and right now he? probably got a good look at what can of worms the budget really is and is getting the sinking feeling that ?under control? is impossibly elusive and may not be achievable by mortal men.

Scamp
Old 12-11-2003, 03:29 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ditto (plus) Scamp...Fellas.

Regarding the proposed Prop. 98, for all intent and purpose here in New Jersey WE ALREADY HAVE A PROP. 98. The Public School System of NJ gets as much yearly increases AS ARE WANTED (not necessarily needed),...since by merely raising our already absurdly high and/or resident non-friendly property taxes is all that it takes.

Andy,
Regarding that theoretical $15,000 per student eventual tab, I must believe that you're right-on-the-money. After all, currently here (re. New Jersey) in another: "Politically machine run state", $15,000 per student is about what it costs to send a kiddy to Kindergarten through High School,...even though ironically less for bigger kiddies going to Rutgers. Go figure.

HC,
So then, and if I were you, I would send Old Arny flowers instead, just for having the sense of not turning California into another taxpayer unfriendly State like New Jersey. And besides,...most all tax increases for any reasons have never improved anything. Well,...for the vast majority and/or average taxpayer anyway. For politicos and foreigners,...that's another story altogether.

Neil
Old 12-12-2003, 06:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Ya Know Neil -

For any nation (ours included) to do a turn around, people had better damned well stop the party line BS, ands start worrying about the nation as a whole! Then, AND ONLY THEN, will we get totally back on line!

As for the flowers bit, I ain't nothing that has enthused me that much about Arnie yet. I don't create icons or heroes, they have to create themselves, and that through deed and action, and not just (hypothetical) coming attractions!?

This situation is not a movie set, it's dead serious and the departed from this mess will not just get up and walk away! Nor will people merely tolerate a pointed finger anymore - I Don't Think!?

VERITAS
Old 12-12-2003, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Andy