VOM Contributor 
Default Schools Ban Patriotic Clothes, USA Flags

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/8439483/detail.html

Schools Ban Patriotic Clothes, Flags
School Officials Say Move Is Temporary

POSTED: 10:24 am PDT April 3, 2006
UPDATED: 10:05 am PDT April 5, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

SAN DIEGO -- In the wake of last week's immigration-reform protests, one school district is taking drastic measures, banning all symbols of patriotism, both U.S. and Mexican.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discuss: District Bans Patriotic Clothes, Flags
Discuss: Illegal Immigration
Survey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning Monday, the Oceanside Unified School District is banning all flags and patriotic clothing. According to school officials, some students are using the garments and flags to taunt classmates.

Some critics of the move are calling it a violation of free speech protections guaranteed by the Constitution.

The American Civil Liberties Union points to the landmark Supreme Court case Tinker v. Des Moines. In that case, school officials attempted to stop students who were protesting the Viet Nam War from wearing black armbands.

"The school has to be able to show a strong likelihood that there is going to material and substantial disruption of school, and if they don?t meet that standard, then they can't censor student speech," said Kevin Neenan of the ACLU.

School officials in Oceanside now say that flags -- whether they are U.S. or Mexican or any other country's -- have now become a divider on campuses, saying that some students are using them to taunt other students

Keith Brentlinger displays the U.S. flag outside Hatter, Williams and Purdy, his Oceanside business.

"To me, it's everything," said Brentlinger "I mean, like I said -- we truly live in the greatest country in the world."

Brentlinger said he was shocked on Tuesday when marching immigration-reform protesters tore down the flag outside his business.

"Some of them just grabbed the flag, and pulled it off its aluminum pole, and it got ripped," said Brentlinger.

Brentlinger told NBC 7/39 that he put up a new flag the next day.

"Some protesters drove up in their car and snagged the flag from our building and took off," said Brentlinger. "I was extremely, extremely upset. I mean, it was just ... insulting is the word."

School officials are saying that the ban is just temporary and that they were just trying to prevent violence. They would not say how long the ban would be in effect.
Copyright 2006 by NBCSandiego.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Keith Brentlinger's business was vandalized by pro-illegal immigration demonstrators and they have the gall to say they deserve to stay and be harbored in our country. Their welcome is all used up and time for them to GO home now! When American kids are stripped of their rights to be proud Americans to appease foreign nationals in their school their mommas and daddies paid for, something ain't right!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Given the full measure of the situation, the school made the right temporary calls, I believe. I think we need time to asses the gravity of the situation and figure out if we have a short duration high-energy spike ?in the Gringo face? provocation/intimidation deal happening, or the beginning of a journey to sustained, violent, face on face confrontation.

No need for the kiddos to get caught up into the turmoil early on, if it can be avoided. On the other hand, a dress code isn?t going to stop anything if the kiddos are being jacked-up by outside agitators that are seeking violent confrontation and using the kiddos as so much cannon fodder.

Somewhere along the line a serious threshold of no return will be crossed, things will get damn right ugly, and I?d just as soon that that crash site not happen in the schools.

Scamp
Old 04-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Robert J Ryan

Kinda agree with Seascamp, at least it was impartial. However, Jerry D does make a good point about American Kids being able to show how they feel about thier country. I just wish there was a viable solution to this mess. The only solution I see is that these illegal immigrants are violating our immagration laws and should be prosecuted for it, or at least deported.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Robert...

Of course, I agree with Jerry as well, but the time is now at hand where we may be able to manage who the victims are NOT going to be. This border mess is so wildly out of control and mismanaged, that nothing but victims is being stacked up, are going to be stacked up, but maybe we can keep some innocent ones out of the eminent collision path.

The weasel parasites and predators on both sides of the border are pushing for a confrontation and instability and most likely they will get what they are wishing for, and then there will be no winners, guaranteed.
Ya can?t undo decades of damage done by the weasel parasite, predators and the Government three monkeys. All we can realistically do is try to limit the damage to all innocent parties on both sides of the border, and so far, I don?t see any reason for optimism that that can be achieved or will be achieved. This ?In the Gringo face? intimidation deal is the worst possible move that can be made and will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Once the recoil spring gets wound tight enough, watch out.

Scamp
Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J Ryan Kinda agree with Seascamp, at least it was impartial. However, Jerry D does make a good point about American Kids being able to show how they feel about thier country. I just wish there was a viable solution to this mess. The only solution I see is that these illegal immigrants are violating our immagration laws and should be prosecuted for it, or at least deported.
Damn Rob, you and I are on the same page again!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Seascamp the kids in CA have been caught up in the violence and turmoil for years already, it is much too late to try to shield them.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default David...

Reality always trumps what would seem to be selectable options, thanks for the dose of reality. Up here the City of Reno has been in denial about the infusion of Hispanic gangs, but now their cup runnith over and the ?Biggest Little City? is scrambling to maintain the image of a safe tourist area.
No need to go into who the predators and prey are; tiz an increasingly bad story unfolding.

Scamp
Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Shaw Heights Middle School Ends Neutral Dress Code

Westminster, CO ? Due to the exemplary behavior of the students at Shaw Heights Middle School and the progress made throughout the week, as well as Attorney General John Suthers news release regarding the display of flags in schools, Myla Shepherd, Shaw Heights Middle School principal has announced that the neutral dress code will end effective Friday, April 7, 2006 at 8:00 a.m.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Lightbulb Happy Easter "He has Risen" ,amen

I was glad to hear that Americans can wear their Countrys symbol and colours to school again in Westminster, CO. "Happy Easter" for "He has Risen" amen