The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Unhappy Glad I've left..

I am so glad I'm not working in the Rockland County (NY) Sheriff's
Department Corrections Division any more. I retired on a stress
related disability over a year and half ago. The stress and lack of compassion from my administration was just to much to deal with. The little black cloud of "only nineteen more years to go" was slowly taking it's toll on me. (The department has finally reached a 25 year and out retirement. Which would have given me only five more years to go with my military buy back. An issue I came under heat for from some non veterans.)
I witnessed my fair share of abuse, on both sides of the line.
Mandatory over time, not being able to get time off for vacation,
rules and regs. changing everyday with every supervisor, going years without a contract. Ranking Officers who physically abused inmates and were further promoted. And it goes on and on. In a small county politics runs the show, the good old boy net work is well in trenched. Those protected by it show little fear of getting caught doing anything an other officer would surely get burned for.
The administration nor the union never offered any stress, anger
management or debriefing to help an officer with job related problems. We had our share of officers with drinking and drug problems (no random drug testing in this dept.) and help was never offered until disciplinary charges were drawn up. Job related problems such as suicides or attempts, inmate stabbings, gang fights or even an inmates death were not spoken about, nor was any treatment offered. DWI's, a brawl at a fire house in which officers physically assaulted Fire Men were handled in a hush-hush manner. An officer who was apparently "stoned" was told to get in his car and go home sick! Not even offered a ride!
It gets deeper than this. In my almost 18 years I saw a lot of dirt get kicked under the carpet and skeletons stacked
in the closet.
On May 13, 2005 Evan Washington took his own life buy placing a
weapon to his temple and pulling the trigger. Evan had 18 years
service with this same department. He was also an 8 year Veteran of the US Army. While accused of two DWI's the department only made his life on the job harder. He was also rear ended while off duty by a sheriff's department van. He was asked not to peruse damages for this and just let it go. He was denied workman's comp, and accused of abuse of his personal sick time while recovering from this accident. It was rumored at Evan's wake that the administration went to a promotional dinner that night. Further rumored that "they" were mad this happened on their watch. I do know that neither the Corrections Chief nor one of the Captains showed up to the wake. Only
negative treatment..
Now this mess:

By CATHERINE L. FOLEY* THE JOURNAL NEWS (Original publication: May 26, 2005) *No known relation to me.
"A 15-year county correction officer was convicted yesterday of
stealing from an inmate at the Rockland County jail.
Terry Street, 41, of 31 Eagle St., Chestnut Ridge, was convicted of
fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony, and will be dismissed from his county job, Rockland Undersheriff Thomas Guthrie said.
"This really comes as a huge betrayal to all of us," Guthrie
said. "If we didn't have the cameras, somebody else would have took the blame for this."
Street was found guilty of stealing $1,500 that belonged to inmate Curtis Wilson, 34, of New Haven, Conn.
New York State Police confiscated $1,500 from Wilson after charging him Aug. 3 with having fraudulent checks and identification. State police sent Wilson's money and other personal property to the county jail, and Street was in charge of logging inmate property at the time.
The jail had no record of receiving the cash and property.
Street was charged Aug. 19 after an investigation by the county
sheriff. "State troopers, their careers would have been in jeopardy over this," Guthrie said. "They were the last ones in possession of it. It could have left a lot of room for suspicion and that's terrible. Fortunately, the cameras proved that the state troopers had given it to us."
Street was being held in the Rockland County jail yesterday with bail set at $10,000. Sentencing is July 26. He faces up to four years in state prison. Street has been suspended from his county job since he was charged."

Great guy Hun? How'd you like to work with people like this? While in my opinion, Street was never worthy of the title Officer he'll now have a new one, "CONVICT!" Had he a problem that was over looked by the department, or one he wasn't willing to admit?
Yeah, I have so much less stress and worry since I've left, and I'm damned glad I never have to go back to that place!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default SH62

Department politics is always and I mean always a fact of life. But your EX-department sounds way over the edge. Are appointments Civil Service and don?t they do record checks and psych exams on everyone before they get the job? Someone smart once said, ?A person does not become perverted in a single night?. Abusing prisoners, larceny, those sorts of things are usually learned behavior or the officer brought some baggage with him when he took the job. Sure glad you were able to bail out, job stress can be a killer, literally.

A former friend of mine became the Chief of Police about a dozen years ago. He was a good cop but when he got the promotion (I came in second), he suddenly seemed to think he had the same zip code as God. After retiring, due to illness, I went to the DA?s office and informed them of some of the things this guy was doing. Two years later and after the A.G.?s office got involved my former friend got busted on 26 counts, mostly weapons violations. Many friends on the department say things are running pretty smoothly again. No saying you should go to the DA but if your still stressing over your old job letting someone know what?s happening might not be a bad idea.

I?m really happy your out of that place. There is no job - none, which is worth a man?s life.

STAY HEALTHY,
Andy
Old 05-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Andy, to start thank you, thank you for an answer that was filled with understanding.
The department is civil service, but the system they use to promote from within is corrupted. They interview the first five or so candidates, then pick who they want regardless of test score, time on the job or any merit. They provisionally promoted people that fit token slots, none of these people made the cut when the actual promotions were made! Nepotism, political favors, old boy network all take precedence over who is right for the job. In the event of a tie test score matters get even worse, they can then reach out further to promote whom ever they'd like.
A three year officer, a former supermarket fish cutter was promoted based solely on his test score. Granted I scored lower, but was clearly in the top 10%. Now I had six years of military police/corrections background, and was with the department for five times as long as this guy. Two awards for my outstanding work from the department and a few letters of accommodation as well. Needless to say I never saw stripes.
I don't think the counties DA would be of any use. No, from what I've seen of his actions he's bought and sold. The AG has never replied to letters I have written his office complaining of the goings on. It's a case of pushing sand against the tide.
Sadly as long as they keep promoting from within the problem will never go away.
Funny you so should mention background checks. We had a fugitive working with us for a few weeks before his background check came back. A gun runner from Tennessee. Things have since gotten better but only after this hard learned lesson. And the Lt. doing the backgrounds, well she got no punishment as daddy is a big shot with the Demorats. The sheriff is a demorat himself, need I say more?
Drug testing was only done for our initial physical. It still was a few weeks before I started the job. To the best I know it's still like that. You're not really watched while you filled the little bottle anyways. That leaves open a wide avenue to cheat the system.
Makes me sick to think that people I helped train are still working there. Nothing will change anytime soon and that's the real shame of it all. A union and officers to scared of reprisal that the will bend at the will of an unjust administration.

"I?m really happy your out of that place. There is no job - none, which is worth a man?s life." I could not have said it better myself, again Thank you!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown