The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Brothers

A few weeks ago my watch needed a new battery, so I stopped at a nearby Long's Drugs that had a watch repair counter. When I stepped up to the counter the watch repairman immediately noticed my "U.S. PARATROOPER" baseball cap and, in a thick Russian accent, asked me when I was a paratrooper. I told him, and he tells me that he was also a paratrooper..........in the Russian Army.

As we talked I told him that I was in VN as a 19yr. old paratrooper, and he tells me that he was also a 19yr. old paratrooper................in Afghanistan. He told me that he had been wounded twice, showing me an ugly scar the length of his forearm from an RPG. Kath shows up saying she's ready to go about the time a couple customers show up needing my new friends service. We shake hands while looking into each others eyes with a warm smile on our faces, feeling the bond between us.

Yesterday Kath needed to stop by Long's for a couple of things and I immediately headed for the watch repair counter. My friend was there. He greets me with a big grin and a hardy handshake. We start comparing experiences again and he tells me that his military training was about 6mos., about the same amount of time as mine. The difference is that ALL of his takes place at one huge training center, including parachute training. After Basic, he's trained as some sort of tank driver; something I never heard of in the Airborne. He explains that their Airborne unit has a unit of small [about 7,000 lbs.] armored vehicles attached to them that can be air dropped with the paratroopers. Once on the ground, he saddles up and drives one. It's armed with some kind of 20mm cannon, and the equivelent of a twin .50. I forgot to ask if it was a track or had tires, but he said it was amphibious. I tell him the closest our Airborne had was a 105 recoiless mounted on a jeep, and whatever gun jeeps and 3/4 ton trucks we adapted with .50's and .30 cals. I told I didn't see any of this until I returned with the 82nd; my whole time with the 101st being light infantry.

We compared Afghanistan and VN, both of them being guerilla wars. Of course the weather and terran was widely different. And like many of us later in the war, they too felt that it was unwinnable. I pointed out that we were in our respective wars for different reasons; me to help save RSVN from the spread of Communism, and he to conquer a country and force Communism on them. He grinned and nodded his head, saying "Good point."

Once again, it's time for me to leave and for him to return to work. We again shake hands and give each other a look of mutual respect, knowing that we are bonded by both of us having been tested under fire. But even more so by both being members of the Brotherhood of Paratroopers, and knowing it doesn't matter what country's uniform you wore. I'm looking forward to our next visit.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

What a cool story! Thanks for putting this up. I bet this guy really enjoys your visits.

Ask him why the Russians could not take Afghan...and we did it in a few months. Naw....that might not be polite. I do like what you said about the different reasons we fought.

Airborne Bro!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:10 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Tom, I love it. Did you welcome your new friend and fellow member of the brotherhood home to America?

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:10 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Invite him over here. I'll bet he has some interesting stories.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Robert J Ryan

Yeah sounds real good. Glad you made a new frined.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

You Know them ass holes were tring to kill us in VN.
Maybe the Russian troopers were just troopers like ours, but, And thats a big huge BUTT, His country and ours see things a little different.
I guess your feelings are different than mine,,Thats why you can go back to VN, I could never go back to that place., But, Thats cool for you bro.
Ron
Old 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Original Tom : Our boys were just fighting Al Quida, a minority in Afghanistan. Most of the population wanted to see us kick their asses out. The Russians were fighting the WHOLE population. NOBODY wanted them there.

Ron: This guy was just a little kid during VN. Kinda hard to hold what his government did against him personally. For me, anyway. That would be like him holding it against my kids that our government armed the Afghans against him and his buddies. From what little he told me, him and his family weren't real good Comrades. He was drafted, and went to protect his family. His Dad and a couple uncles were doing time in a prison somewhere. I don't know if he got out of Dodge before or after the collapse of the USSR. I'll ask him.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

Your right, you shouldn't hold anything against him for what his country did,
Glade you made a friend.

For some reason I thought you ment he was one of those Russians that were helping NVN. I went back and re-read your post and where I got that, I have no Idea.

Ron
Old 05-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g Your right, you shouldn't hold anything against him for what his country did,
Glade you made a friend.

For some reason I thought you ment he was one of those Russians that were helping NVN. I went back and re-read your post and where I got that, I have no Idea.

Ron
Thanks, Bud. He really is a decent guy. Next time I see him, I'm gonna take Doc Fred's advice and invite him over here.