The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Started Group

Not sure how I really feel about this, but I started group therapy at the PTSD clinic yesterday. Thought I would try to get some feedback from you guys who have already been there. Have tried this a few times before, but always got fed up and walked out after a few sessions.

Time has come for me to face a few demons. I have looked in the mirror a long time and come to the conclusion, that indeed I am the one with the problem and not the world.

For those of you who have met me, I again am the baby of the group...there is one WWII vet, two Korean vets, about 10 Vietnam vets and myself. Seemed to be a pretty good group that has been together for a few years.

The guys welcomed me into the group. Many times and places I have been, Desert vets are kind of looked down on. Lots of guys think we should not be considered veterans because our war was so short, not with this group. That made me feel good right away.

Anyway, what are the thoughts of you guys who have been or are currently attending group therapy.....is it worth while or is it a bull sessesion?

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2005, 04:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A war, is a war, is a war.... no matter how long it takes. You guys just did a better job
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Doc.2/47

Travis-

Glad to hear you've gotten in what sounds like might be a good group. About the time I got into the system, the VA discontinued the only group in these parts for "lack of funds",so I have yet to have contact with one. Hope you'll let me know what you think about them.

They changed me over to a shrink on the local Air Force base. Much more convenient but I have to admit that I had a few concerns about how post-9-11 Air Force security and psyco vets would interact. Took about a day making sure I'd removed all the firearms and ammo from Henry before my first visit. In the event the guys at the guard shack were quite helpful and told me where I could find the shrink before I even asked. Said they had been warned I was coming. Seemed to find the psyco vets tag...interesting. I was directed to a large brick building(air conditioned,with lab and X-ray) which the sign out front proclaimed as an aid station. I won't comment here on my initial contact with the shrink except to say that it was a learning experience for both of us.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Trav
good luck and remember you have all of us here to fall back on.
You are now in my prayers like you always are.
loveya
tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Robert J Ryan

Catman, the job the men and women did in Desert Storm was outstanding. The ture professionalism of our Armed Forces was shown during that war. General Stormin Norman said it best, "Our forces were just damn good" says it all. I have met some Deseret Storm Vets, and Iraqi Freedom Vets who have told that we had harder time in Vietnam then they did. I asked them why they felt that way, and they just said because of the type of warfare we had to fight. I let them know that there maybe different enviorments in combat, but combat is combat no matter where it takes place. I told them that I felt that Korea, and WWII vets had it worse then then us. But we all had the same fears, and concerns no matter the war. I told them all I know is I wanted to live, and that I didn't want to let my buddies down. Don't think that all vets feel the way some do because of the length of a war. I have been attending PTSD groups since 1989, and find them to be one of the best ways to help me with the issues I have and have had realted to PTSD.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav,

What Robert et al have said. I don't believe a real combat vet with any brains would make that statement, but then again, I heard it when I first got home..."....you guys didn't even fight an enemy. ......all you did was kill women and children.." and that shit was from "veterans". Anyway, I found that people that say that kinda shit were usually pogues anyway.

The Group: The group is what the leader and or if co leader basically want it to be. Sometimes BSing is good but if there is no theraputic rhyme or reason to it, it doesn't do much. Is this a Vet Center group? Hospital group? What kindof group is it? Open ended, closed ended? Does it seem to have a direction? Topics? Need more info before I can help you. Glad your doing something though, son.

Daddy Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Trav, your in my group. Thanks for helping me.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Guys and Lady!

Thanks so much for the good words, am going to give this one an honest try.

Pdiddy, I mean Packy, I mean Packo, I mean Paco, I mean Tom, oh hell you know who you are!

The Group is called the "Drop in group", held every Tuesday at the PTSR Clinic in Minneapolis. It is run and chaired by the VA and has a Dr Ann Wagner, Ph.D., LP as the chair person. Have never met her before last week, have seen her many times but never "officially" met with her.

Have only been to one meeting, seems to be run almost like an AA meeting. Start by going around the room and stating your name, branch of service, years served, and any problems you have encountered since the last meeting. After the first lap is made, the doc goes back to anyone who may be having troubles and the group discusses that. Closing is done in the same way, with each member stating whether or not they feel comfortable leaving with all that has been discussed.

AA/NA seems to have a big influence on this group. From what i have gathered, they all are a member of one or both groups.

After the "official" meeting finished, all the guys went to the cafeteria where the meeting continued for over an hour. They asked that i join them and told me they all meet at that certain table at noon every Tuesday for lunch, go to the meeting, than back to the table for coffee.

Like I said, tight group of guys, who welcomed me without batting an eye. Might just have found me a home!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Cool beans.

It sounds like the group deals in the "here and now" and theraputically, that's great. Some of these groups just talk about what happened in ..................(place war name there) and don't ground themselves in the today. Doesn't really matter what happened to you in your war, it how it is affecting you today and that's what you need to work on. You would probably do good in NA or AA but hey, when you got Psyco Mtn group....you don't need those other two!

Advice: Keep going as long as your getting something out of it but be careful of it being what I call a "victims" group where everyone sits around and whines what victims they are of their war. Someone once told me, ".......you get to be a victim for the first day. After that you better become a survivor!" Enjoy it!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Tom...thanks for the advice. AA and NA are not for me. Smoked for about a month in high school and never got anything out of it. Never used anything else. VA did all their tests for alcohol on me and all returned negative. (Test means questions and counseling) Don't want help with things I don't have a problem with.

Value your opinion much. Come on up, we had 67 for a high today!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!