The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Angle Fire! Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Just got back from Colorado and New Mexico. Had a great time, if you don't count the mini-heart attack. I'm doing fine but gonna have to change a few habits here. Anyway, got to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Angel Fire New Mexico. It was incredible! If somebody would post instructions I would like to post a couple of pictures. This monument was started by a father who lost his son. The DAV got involved and the rest is history. It is a gorgeous, serine, and something I wish all of you could see. Was wonderin' if anybody else got a chance to see it? It's a DO NOT MISS if anybody gets near it.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Make a new thread or reply to this thread.

You have to have some text in the main text box and then scroll down a bit to the "attach file" section below the "Options" section before you submit the thread.

Click "Browse" and choose the picture to upload form your computer.

Once you have selected the picture click "Submit Reply".

You can only upload one picture per post so make as many replies as you need to get them all posted.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Paco
What the hell do you mean by a mini heart attack.......Is that like being a little bit pregnant.....Hope everthing is gonna be OK
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Here's a little bit about Angel Fire... glad you got to see it Paco. I have too.

"Vietnam Veterans National Memorial
28 miles from Taos in Angel Fire is a beautiful, moving memorial ?
the nation's first Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vietnam Veterans National Memorial is a moving, often heart-stoppingly beautiful national shrine. The memorial is located at Angel Fire, New Mexico, in the picturesque Sangre de Cristo mountain range. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial at Angel Fire was conceived and constructed by the family of Dr. Victor Westphall, whose son, David, was killed in a 1968 enemy ambush in Vietnam.

The structure's dramatic architectural design, soaring to a height of 50 feet, offers a compelling and inspiring statement of gratitude to, and celebration of, the men and women who fought in Vietnam. As a place for personal reflection and inspiration, the memorial is unrivaled.

Ted C. Luna, Architect, Santa Fe, NM

All facilities of the memorial, its spare, peaceful chapel and the 6,000-square-foot visitors center are totally accessible to handicapped people. The memorial is located 28 miles from Taos between Angel Fire and Red River, NM on US Highway 64.

Tax-deductible contributions supporting perpetuation of the Memorial can be sent to:

David Westphall Veterans Foundation, Inc
c/o Vietnam Veterans National Memorial
PO Box 608
Angel Fire, NM 87710
Phone: 505-377-6900
E-mail: memorial@taosnet.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit the Vietnam Veterans National Memorial web site.

www.angelfirelmemorial.org
Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks David, will do when I get back to the homestead.

Bob, well.....it would seem that you can't stop taking a Beta Blocker cold turkey. I ran out and figured my BP med and Diuretic would get me through. Wrong! Once it wore off my heart went crazy and I couldn't breath very well. We were in the mountains between Walsenburg Co and Taos NM. Right smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was a beautiful place to check out of life's motel. Deb and her two sisters were troopers and got me back to Walsenburg. They called 911 and drove hard, on a 2 lane road, and were told by the time an ambulance gets there we could be at the ER in Walsenburg. So, with me trying to breathe and trying to stop my heart from jumping out of my chest, they got me there. Got some enlargement but looks like I'm gonna have to go for stress tests, etc. etc. Seeing a doc Thursday afternoon. Looks like I'm gonna have to say goodbye to my old friend Mr Tabacca once and for all. Have dropped 20 lbs this year, but will have to drop off a few more. Hey, I ain't gonna stop havin' fun....just have to drop some weight and throw away the Winston's. We're still on for November and I ain't heard nothin' about givin' up the Polish Vodka!

Pack

Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Tom

Man that must have been a scary ride, glad your OK.. I ate a raw oyster a couple of weeks ago and had my first ever reaction . My throat started to close up and I thought great , made it through Nam but killed by a **@##* oyster....BUT .... I made it. Getting old ain't as easy as I had hoped it would be so far though. Take care my friend
Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hawk, thanks for the web sites for all. It is truly a gorgeous place!

LT, yeah man, had some of those same thoughts and we kept getting stuck behind slow movers and each time we got to a passing lane, yep, traffic and couldn't get around. I really do have to hand it to Deb and her sisters. They were as calm as Combat Medics. I was impressed especially when their father had died almost in the same place from a heart attack while visiting there. Ask Sid if he knows the area. Lots of Elk hunting there. Had lots of thoughts and one was I might miss next years camp out. But, then I thought I might go as a ghost since you, Sid, and Mike don't seem to have one there. Just wondering if you can ever eat oysters again? Or even if you would want to after that. You sure are right about this gettin' old crap. Thanks! I will be taking care.

Pack

Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Packo :

Glad you are doing better !

Larry
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Paco...

Now I know you, too, have heard the divine wind.

Sir Blue
Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

PACKY!
No more scaring me like that,ok? Do as the MD says and remember...NASCAR is doing just fine without Winstons and so will you!

Peace,Griz