The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Review:Mel Gibson`s "THE PASSION"

I can hardly wait to see this film..

Keith A Fournier is a constitutional lawyer and a graduate of the JohnPaul II Institute of the Lateran University, Franciscan University and the University
of Pittsburgh. He holds degrees in philosophy,theology and law. He has been a champion of religious liberty and appeared as co-counsel in major cases at
the United States Supreme Court. He is the author of seven books and, along with his law practice, serves as the president of both the "Your Catholic Voice
Foundation" and "Common Good." Here is what he had to say after viewing Mel Gibson's movie "The Passion".
I really did not know what to expect. I was thrilled to have been invited to a private viewing of Mel Gibson's film "The Passion," but I had also read all
the cautious articles and spin.I grew up in a Jewish town and owe much of my own faith journey to the influence. I have a life long, deeply held aversion to anything that might even indirectly encourage any form of anti-Semitic thought,
language or actions.
I arrived at the private viewing for "The Passion", held in Washington D.C., and greeted some familiar faces. The environment was typically Washingtonian,
with people greeting you with a smile but seeming to look beyond you, having an agenda beyond the words.
The film was very briefly introduced, without fanfare, and then the Room darkened. From the gripping opening scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, to the very human and tender portrayal of the earthly ministry of Jesus, through the betrayal, the arrest, the scourging, the way of the cross, the encounter with the thieves, the surrender on the Cross, until the final scene in the empty tomb, this was not simply a movie; it was an encounter, unlike anything I have ever experienced.
In addition to being a masterpiece of film-making and an artistic triumph, "The Passion" evoked more deep reflection, sorrow and emotional reaction within me than anything since my wedding, my ordination or the birth of my children. Frankly, I will never be thesame.
When the film concluded, this"invitation only" gathering of "movers and shakers" in Washington,D.C. were shaking indeed, but this time fromsobbing. I am not sure there was a dry eye in the place. The crowd that had been glad-handing before the film was now eerily silent. No one could speak, because words were woefully inadequate. We had experienced a kind of art that is a rarity in life, the kind that makes heaven touch earth. One scene in the film has now been forever etched in my mind. A brutalized, wounded Jesus was soon to fall again, under the weight of the cross. His mother had made her way along the Via Della Rosa. As she ran to him, she flashed back to a memory of Jesus as a child, falling in the dirt road outside of their home. Just as she reached, to protect him from the fall, she was now reaching to touch his wounded adult face.Jesus looked at her with intensely probing and passionately loving eyes (and at all of us through the screen) and said, "Behold, I make all things new." These are words taken from the last book of the New
Testament, the Book Of Revelations. Suddenly, the purpose of the pain was so clear and the wounds, that earlier in the film had been so difficult to see in
His face, His back, indeed all over His body, became intensely beautiful.
They had been borne, voluntarily, for love.
At the end of the film, after we had all had a chance to recover, a Question and answer period ensued. The unanimous praise for the film, from a rather diverse
crowd, was as astounding as the compliments were effusive. The questions included the one question that seems to follow this film, even though it has not yet even been released: "Why is this film considered by some to be "anti-Semitic?" Frankly, having now experienced (you do not "view"
this film) "The Passion," it is a question that is impossible to answer. A law professor whom I admire sat in front of me. He raised his hand and responded,
"After watching this film, I do not understand how anyone can insinuate that it even remotely presents that the Jews killed Jesus. It doesn't."
He continued, "It made me realize that my sins killed
Jesus." I agree. There is not a scintilla of anti-Semitism to be found
anywhere in this powerful film. If there were, I would be among the first to decry it. It faithfully tells the Gospel story in a dramatically beautiful, sensitive and profoundly engaging way. Those who are alleging otherwise have either not seen the film or have another agenda behind their protestations.
This is not a "Christian" film, in the sense that it will appeal only to those who identify themselves as followers of Jesus Christ. It is a deeply human,
beautiful story that will deeply touch all men and women. It is a profound work of art. Yes, its producer is a Catholic Christian and thankfully has remained
faithful to the Gospel text; if that is no longer acceptable behavior, then we are all in trouble. History demands that we remain faithful to the story, and Christians have a right to tell it. After all, we believe that it is the greatest story
ever told and that its message is for all men and women. The greatest right is the right to hear the truth. We would all be well advised to remember that the
Gospel narratives, to which "The Passion" is so faithful, were written by Jewish men who followed a Jewish rabbi, whose life and teaching have forever
changed the history of the world. The problem is not the message, but those who have distorted it and used it for hate, rather than love. The solution is not to censor the message, but rather, to promote the kind of gift of love that is Mel Gibson's film making masterpiece, "The Passion". It should be seen by as many people as possible. I intend to do everything I can to make sure that is the
case. I am passionate about "the Passion." You will be, as well.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2003, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Griz .....thanks for the post.

With all the disgusting filth that is purveyed weekly on the movie screens, I do not understand why Mel Gibson is having to jump through hoops with this movie. Even if it came out and said.."The Jews killed Jesus" ( IMHO they did.....) so what ? .....Isn't this a free country ? Unlimited sex and violence is OK, but free speech isn't ? God and the Christian belief system is slowly being pushed aside for the sin and destruction of this world. Mel Gibson is a brave and blessed man. His father is as well. I plan on seeing this movie many times.

Larry
Old 10-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hardly ever go to the movies Griz - last was We were soldiers , but I'll go see this one on your review - by myself at noon. Thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 06:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Looks like

something Deb and I will go see instead of waiting for it to come to tv or rental.

Thanks for the revue. Have been keeping up with this and the smear campaign hollywood has been heaping on gibson. The more they complained, the more I knew it would be something worth watching.

In hollywood if you make a picture poking fun at christians....your hip. If you make a masterpiece but don't toe their line, you have to be made to pay. Gibson has refused to make us, Vietnam Vets, look bad to the public, unlike platoon's writer/director, and he has thumbed his nose at the elite. I love him. Just take the last Clancy film for instance. In Clancy's book it was islamic terrorist who nuke the Denver football game. In the movie version, it's white guys from germany...neo-nazi's. Yep, we sure have a lot to fear from the neo-nazi's these days. Hollywood doesn't want the muslims to look bad.....just like during the cold war where they never wanted the Commies to look bad. So it stands to reason that they don't want Christians portrayed in a good light. Sickening......isn't it.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Griz thank you for the heads up and the courage of your conviction in posting this review. I would have missed this film completely without it. I usually give a pass to Biblical films as they stray so far away from scripture. I have been hearing reports for awhile that the film was just to graphic. What a hoot! Just another example of Hollyweird's double standards ie we will be graphic when it suits our PC agenda. I have been hearing for sometime that Mel Gibson's desire was to make it clear the price truly paid by Christ when he fulfilled the scripture in Isaiah. I'm proud of his courage to go against thegrain and though I might wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it with my family I will see it. Thank you again for the heads up this morning. I'll pass it along.

Isaiah 53: 4-6
Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Griz

Echoing the comments of others here, we all owe you an enormous thanks for the posting of the review of "The Passion." Our current state of sad affairs, where political correctness wants to drown out history, worthwhile art, and freedom of speech, needs this shot in the proverbial arm. At least there is one person in Hollowwood that doesn't offend me!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-08-2003, 11:42 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Yup...They`re trying to hang an anti-semetic banner on Mr.Gibson,who is far,far from it.He and his family are devout Christians,and,following Scripture,are being persecuted for their beliefs.Shame.
Go,Mel!

Peace,Griz
Old 10-08-2003, 05:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Noting From Which Direction

Noting From Which Direction the Criticism cometh:

It must be a very good film. It is one I can recommend just because of the critics.

Keith
Old 10-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Friends...

Even though not a very religious type (not near as religious as the wife),...I was very impressed by all the comments here from people whom all can honestly be believed (not the norm experienced elsewhere).

Regardless, and since "She" (wife) dragged me out to see Gibson's fine and honest Command portrayal in: "We Were Soldiers",...I think it only fair that this time I drag her out (not avid movie goers) to see something that she too can really appreciate.

Besides, if Mr. Gibson did such a fine portrayal of my alma mater's Colonel,...I've no doubt that his portrayal of The Highest of All Authorities will probably be even better, if such is possible.

Neil
Old 10-09-2003, 02:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As I understand the situation, the main opposition to the movie is coming from some Rabbis, not all, and from some left standing newspapers but not all. The core of the opposition seems to be the fear that the movie will set off a wave of anti-Semitism and violence. Me thinks some folks don?t like religious themes let loose on our ultra secular society as someone may learn something and that is totally undesirable in some sectors. And possibly Mel?s father?s somewhat different view of things has helped to aggravate this tempest in a teapot or more likely that is one of the excuses for condemnation of the moment.

It is also my understand that Mel is an ultra conservative Catholic that still hangs with traditional things like the Latin Mass. That group is not well understood, even by the Catholics, so it could be that that reality is causing some concern and mistrust. In keeping with Mel?s tradition of professionalism and excellence in artistic presentation, I?m sure the movie is very well done and well worth the ticket. And no, I don?t expect any person that has a sense of history and has their head on right will become an anti-Semite as they walk out of the theater. But I do expect a dim bulb or so to get their bowels all in an uproar over the saga, comes with the territory I suppose.

Scamp