The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2003, 08:53 AM

Speaking of those vile and nasty red ants. Thinking back now I don't remember ever having any trouble with fire ants here in the good 'ol US of A until after 'Nam. I'm thinking one of you dang engineers musta brought some back as a pets and turned 'em loose on the anti-war bunch. ;-) ! Course now they're all over the southwest.
Anybody besides me have a pet F#$% You Lizard ? I used to take at least one or two and leave them behind in the 1stSgt's office on the two occations I got back to HQ in Plekui. He loved 'em !!!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:46 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Tropo

Wern`t me..although I`m sure I brought back at least a few other microscopic creatures unknown to Western civilation.Had I been aware of all the Anti-Nics back in The World,a couple Skippy jars-full of ants turned loose in Harvard Square would have been just the ticket...BTW,Welcome back to the site.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking RATS AND BUNKERS

Like James said, we didn't see 'em much with the 101st. However, once while operating around Kontum, we moved into an abandoned arty site. Probably ARVN. We were told that we'd be staying awhile, and to dig foxholes and get comfortable. The place had had bunkers at one time, but they had been destroyed when the arty guys had pulled out. A buddy and I found one that hadn't been completely blown and had potential as a dry place, so we decided to spend some time fixing it up instead of digging foxholes. We got it to be pretty comfortable. That night, in the wee hours, I'm awakened by my buddy thrashing around and cussing. I put a flashlight on him, and his eyes are as big as golf balls.
"What the fuck is wrong with you?", I ask.
He tells me that he was awakened by a HUGE rat sitting on his chest, daring him to get up! As an inner-city kid, I hate rats. That's all I needed to hear.
"We're outta here," says I.
We pull all of our stuff out into the drizzling rain. Before I know what's coming, my buddy pulls the pin on a grenade and tosses it into our cozy bunker. While the sound of it is still in the air, the whole perimeter starts shooting. People are popping flares. Some claymores are triggered off. This goes on for several minutes before they realize that no one is shooting back. It's eventually traced back to us as starting all of this, and the XO shows up PISSED.
"What the hell are you two morons doing?", he yells.
My buddy looks him in the eye and says "Killing rats, Sir."
He explodes! He commences to give us the worst ass-chewing that I was ever on the wrong end of. Finished up with telling us that we're the two dumbest assholes to ever put on a pair of pants, and stormed off. We move our stuff back into our bunker and have no more trouble with rats. Caught more than our share of perimeter guard, etc., for awhile after that .
Old 06-26-2003, 10:10 AM

Frisco,
Sorry to hear you got caught for fragging rats. I guess the guy that shot the M70 round into the ammo bunker to kill the rats musta been from your neck of the woods / city too. He put the entire Camp Radclift on alert for over 4 hours with his subsequent fireworks display. Luckily, no one got killed or injured.