The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Guess i can honestly say I only knew one bad officer, a jab to the lower jaw of his cost me two stripes, 90 days extra duty, 90 days restricked to post and 90 days half pay. Other than that never had anyone who was "in it for themselves"

Ron...looks like you stand alone on this one. Maybe it's your luck or maybe it was just the 4th, but it sure looks like nobody ever had the problems you did.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default No one stands alone here,...

...We All Stand together,...

...that's what has gotten us all this far in life,...

.... We all known some good, and some not so good not only in the military, but in the outside world also,...

...Bad, at the time,...

...Lt Col. Phil Blocker,...

...Should have, and Could have done more, but choose to hide his ass away like an ostrich knowing full well that he could have exonerate me, water over the falls, you learn to live with it all, and move on,...

...with the help, and guidience of those around us, either in person, or in spirit,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-17-2005, 04:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

After an all day fight I got in a spat with my CO on the radio . He finally said he was flying in the next morning and we would have an "eye to eye " talk. He was short so I told him if we were going to have an eye to eye he better bring a box to stand on. Next morning he flew in and when the chopper was about 50 feet off the ground I threw a red smoke and off they went. He never said another word about it. I went to my first reunion last June. If Cpt. Carr had been there I would have knocked the shit out of him
Old 10-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default LT

I feel I must say something to you,
I have no dought what so ever that you were a very good officer, not just for your men but in tactical and stratigical operations as well.
But then, I could be talking out my ass. Naaaaa, I don't think so.

Ron
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

On my first tour, I quickly learned via observation who the competent and the less than competent were, and that guage was applied to EM, NCO's and officers alike. Combat actions can be a very decisive deselector of incompetence; most of the people in my platoon had already survived six months in country before I arrived. Out of the four squads, three were led by draftees or volunteers who had succeeded in earning leadership positions; one RA SSG was the most incompetent NCO I had, and he quickly became the NCOIC of the Defecation Elimination Detail back at basecamp. Through the miracle of intrinsic standards of performance, most EM functioned extremely well because they relied on each other, and knew they had to rely on each other.

Most officers I worked with were exceptionally well qualified, with some notable exceptions. LT McDonald suffered from several conditions, the "Little Man Syndrome" being one of them. He also had been told, he insisted, that upon his completion of his first tour, he was to be sent to flight school, and that future assignment clouded his every-day judgment, his sense of purpose, and his attention to the details of leading his platoon. He ended up as the support platoon leader, and was marginally successful in that assignment.

My first co cdr was a Ring Knocker, totally eaten up with self, and basically a tactical dolt. Two months after I my assignment to his company, he was releived by the bn cdr and sent to the div hq, where he could receive more hands-on adult supervision.

Don't know how it was with other units, but I think I worked as hard as any of my EM or NCO's, and that counts for both tours. I never asked them to do anyting that I hadn't already done, or wasn't prepared to do with them on a side-by-side basis. The phrase, "leading from the front" is almost an oxymoron, as I always found it difficult to lead from the rear - kinda like trying to push cooked spaghetti across your plate.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-17-2005, 05:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron
No matter where you go in life you're gonna find good leaders and bad leaders. (Fire dept, Police dept, Military, etc etc) Instead of dwelling on the bad, try learning from the good and forgetting about the bad.....Been on the job for 28 years and I'm still learning
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Ron

I am getting a bad visual of this " talking out of my ass "
Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

John
There are actually 2 definitions to "talking out your ass"

1. The person involved has his head up his ass

2. The person involved has his brain located mext to the
Sphincter muscle thus letting that muscle do all the talking.

Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-17-2005, 05:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

With all this ass talk, I see this thread headed straight for the "crapper"!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav
I realize this is a dark subject.....The big question is, should this subject be wiped out or open for public inspection? Your thoughts would be deeply appreciated
Bob K

God bless the ACLU