The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Default Sample Letter

Here is a sample letter, about another subject but it includes all the info to include. I am looking for a better letter more associated with Dwight's situation.

bb

[Today's Date]

The Honorable [Rep. or Sen. X]

[Office Address]

Dear [Rep. or Sen. X]:

I am writing to express my concerns over proposals to privatize the Social Security system.

As you know, Social Security has been a crucial part of our Nation's efforts to fight poverty. Social Security currently provides millions of Americans, including retirees, widows, and the disabled, with guaranteed income when they become eligible to receive benefits.

While I recognize the need for minor reforms to ensure that this valuable program can continue to serve Americans both now and in the future, replacing the current system with a system containing individual private accounts puts future beneficiaries at risk.

First of all, a privatized system would lead to a cut in guaranteed Social Security benefits, while forcing future beneficiaries to rely on the ups and downs of their investments on the stock market. Retirees, widows, and the disabled rely on these benefits for their economic survival, and should not be forced to replace their guaranteed benefits in the current system with unpredictable returns from the stock market.

Just as important is the fact that most, if not all, proposals to set up individual private accounts include an increase in the retirement age. While it is true that Americans are living longer, most Americans do not wish to work into their late sixties and seventies, and many of them cannot do so. Not only is working longer unfair to them, but it forces younger workers to settle for lower-paying jobs, or remain unemployed, due to the increased number of elderly people in the workforce. While I believe that people should be allowed to work as long as they are willing and able to do so, these proposals force people to work longer, whether they wish to or not.

Finally, as I pointed out earlier, it is far from certain that future retirees would do better financially under a system of individual private accounts. The only sure winners under such a system are the Wall Street firms that stand to make billions of dollars if such changes are put into place. I'm sure you would agree that attempts to save the Social Security system should focus on the needs of average Americans, not the desires of Wall Street.

I look forward to your response to my concerns and hope that you'll agree that individual private accounts are not the way to protect Social Security.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

[Your address]

[Optional: Your phone number and/or e-mail address]
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
Default Well....

Looked for a while for an appropriate letter, ran out of time. If someone composes a letter addressing this issue can you post it so any of us can copy and paste it. I know there are a few people here that can put words to paper with much talent.

Thank you, Bernadette
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc (and everyone else)

Jay Rockerfeller was the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs at the time of Andys' problems with the VA. That's why a lot of us wrote him on Andy's behalf.

The New Chariman of this committee is Daniel K. Akaka, HI--, and he along with other members of this committee can be contacted by following the link below.

http://veterans.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

California Representative Bob Filner is the new chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. You can flollow the 'links' provided at the committees' web site below to contact them and individual members.

http://www.house.gov/va/

PS----Doc it would help if we could get Dwights full name and address along with his VA file number (Not his social security number) when sending these letters. I would sure as heck speed up the process. You can PM them to us if you'd prefer.

P-PS---- Thanks Bern

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good go Gimpy and Bern!

Also, when I talked with Rockefellers office, they were adament about talking with Andy to get the whole story. Make sure you include a number that they can call and get the story striaght from him. Sometimes second hand info gets twisted and they want to hear from the horses mouth. If they are going to contact the VA on his behalf, they need to hear from him.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Distinctions

please PM me info. dave and i with both send a letter.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dwight's sister has got the local Congressman workingh the case and wants to hold off on anything else.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc, thanks for

the update on Dwight.

Don't hesitate to let us know if we can help in any way.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Well, they kicked him out on Monday, he got his 100% on Tuesday, and is moving back to the VA on next Monday. I have to hand it to our Congressman David Davis.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Ain't it amazing what they can do when pushed.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Doc, thats great news to hear about Dwights status change to the positive for a change