The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Just wanted to say thanks to the VA

I know several people think the VA is sh!t but I have to tell you they have been doing a heck of a job with me. Over the last 3 years my eyes have been really giving me trouble. The VA went as far as they could with every kind size and type of exam they could and basically said they couldn't fix the problem.

The problem is that I have a rare case where the Agent Orange has caused my lenses on my eyes to look like crinkled up saran wrap and I have a spot on my right Retina that makes a small hole in my vision.. BUT they sent me to the EYE clinic at Emory University Hospital and they Did all of their tests.

On Wednesday of this week I went in for a fitting of some special hard contact lenses they had made for me. The results are that It has given me back my night vision and corrected the left eye to 20/20 and right eye to 20/40. I have another appt on the 19 of Jan to look at my eyes again and they said they think they can correct the left eye to 20/30 or 35.

Just wanted to let you know that the people down in the trenches of the VA do really care for you. Sometimes they have a bad day just like we do but as a general rule they try their best.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 04:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

That's great news old friend.

I'm really glad to see you post some positive info about the VA health care system. Most folks really are unaware of just how dedicated, professional and caring the majority of their medical staff really are.

I think it's also not common knowledge just how involved and associated they are with outstanding health organizations such as the world class medical facilities at Emory in Atlanta (my wife had both of her eye 'implants" and a glacoma surgery performed there in 1999 and 2000). The VA here in Tampa is in 'partnership' with the world class University of South Floridas' Medical Center and their Moffit Cancer Center as well as many of their other specialty clinics.

The 'story' is the same in nearly ALL VA hospitals and major clinics around the country. In recent years they have 'partnered' or began close associations with many of this nations most outstanding private and public health care facilities and it is paying dividends that are not only helping us, but the taxpayers of this country as well. These 'partnerships' in most cases are usually based solely on allowing the Universities medical students to participate in VA health care training and study within the VAs' clinics and hospitals.

Yours and thousands and other 'success' storys are unfortunately flying 'under the radar' of most folks in this country.

Thanks for posting this.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sid, that's wonderful and ditto what Gimp says. My main beef with the VA is the adjudication process not their medical. Although Gimpy and I have both been hurt by them, most of the time I have recieved excellent care. I have such a great psychiatrist that I can't believe they will be able to keep her for much longer. The medical people at my VA Clinic here are wonderful.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

Great news about your improving vison, irrespective of the source of the improvement. There's a relatively new process where a corrective lens is surgically emplanted, correcting all visual deficiencies. Local price around here is about $4k per eye, but if done in conjuction with cataract surgery, the price is reduced to $2k per eye. Considering the permanancy of the correction, I'm giving it serious thought, and wanted to pass on this info to you as well.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 12-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Got my glasses from the VA too - they were pretty good.
Just got my notice that all drugs are going up Jan. 06. I could post it if you want. I would have to scan it in as pdf file.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 AM

PHO127 - did you get your check?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Robert J Ryan

I don't have a problem with the people who provide the medical care to us, I have a problem with the idiots in power, like Secretary of Veterans Affaris Jim Nicholson who is not a veteran, so how could he possibly understand Veterans needs. Look at his we are not going to review 72,000 PTSD cases, but six days later sneaks in another review of PTSD cases.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:08 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Sid

Great news! Emory does have a very good reputation. Hey, if you can actually see the food, will that make you a better cook?

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 12-16-2005, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The local VA hospital, Mountain Home, is affiliated with East Tennessee State University Medical School. It has been a mixed blessing. We have gone from a chronic shortage of MD's in the area to a surplus. The school has stimulated economic growth in the region to the point permits for 20 new subdivisions were issued this year for Washington County. The problem is the med students and residents are running the hospital in the after hours. They are there to learn and they are there to learn procedures. We had a transfer from Mountain Home to the Johnson City Med Center several years ago. He had died in our hospital and the nurses discovered something during prepping the body. He had 32 needle sticks in his lower lumbar spine. That is where they do spinal taps. I took pictures and reported it. Never heard a word. I had a friend who was house supervisor at the VA. He told me it was a good place to go as long as you are conscious.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Great news Sid....I hope it keeps getting better!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!