The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default When you feel

Your time is up, wouldn't you like to know your life has been for something more than just being normal. Over the years I have faced death probably 10 times, Times where I should have been dead but was still here, not only still here, but not hurt. I have thought many times, WHAT am I here for???? There has to be some reason for me to be here because of all the times that I could have been taken and was not. So, WHY am I here? I have been missed (very close) by lightning 3 times, squared off against anther guy who was looking at me with one eye closed down the barrel of a rifle. Had so many auto accidents that I lost count and not a scratch. Had the heal of my boot shot off and canteen shot in the same burst, had a sniper zero me and missed. Had guys get hit in front of me, behind me, left of me, and right of me. I had a enemy mortar land 6 feet from me, Hurricanes, typhoons, tornados, fires (countless) and I?m still here, why? One day I will find out the answer to that question, and then I'll be gone.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ron

I, along with several others on here, have also had close calls. And like you, I've wondered why I was spared when others literaly right next to me were killed. One of the reasons that I've come up with is that I was supposed to become a father to two kids and raise them to become fine adults. I was also supposed to become my wife's companion as we made it through our lives. I was supposed to make a difference, for good or bad, in the lives of people that I came into contact with as I made my journey through the life that I've been handed, most of the time not even being made aware of it.

One of the obvious reasons for you, was because you were supposed to save countless lives, directly or indirectly, by devoting most of your life to the service of your community as a firefighter. We are all interwoven somehow. The people that you have saved or helped, lived to impact other people's lives, who impacted other people's lives, and on and on. And you were also spared so you could become my friend and one of my heroes.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I was born to be an Opa. Opa the lucky
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

We are here to tell pepole what life is all about, and what freedom really costs. We survived for a reason. The same as you, people to left of me, right of me, in front of me, behind me going down, mortars hitting close, getting blasted by the concussion from our own artillery, and still here, did 3 tours in Nam and survived all 3 so there is a reason why we are still here. Maybe like DMZ LT said to be a grandfather.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

I don't know Ron ...

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think the real question for me after "Why am I here?" was "What am I going to do about it?" With the poor material I have had to work with I have tried to be a better man and leave the world a little better than I found it. Ron, I think you have done that too. That is all we can do.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Ron I think one of the reasons God let you live is so you can ask Questions like this, It makes us all better people when we ask our selfs why did I survive and what have I accomplished with my life. Speaking for myself I've did more in my life and helped more differn't people then I could ever have imagined when I was a 18 year old Sailor in Uncle Sam's Navy. as they often say "What A Ride"
Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

You?re here because you?re not finished yet and He doesn?t need unfinished junk in His home. Now He put everything right here to put you together the right way but it?s up to you to make sure that you get the right things. He?s more than likely going to leave you around awhile after you can run on your own and prove yourself but that?s your choice and you?re obliged to stay around until He wants you. He?s going to give you some directions but you can always get lost along the way. You?re going to have to make sure that you get the right parts and don?t get that second hand stuff that the other guy that owns the junk yard wants to sell you. You see He only has the good stuff at His house and that other guy doesn?t give a hoot because he deals in junk.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:38 AM

You are all right! But it takes time to realize that. But that also doesn't mean we forget.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

True Boats, so true.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).