Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2003, 07:13 AM

Another.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:16 AM

Default M82A1A .50 Caliber Special Application Scoped Rifle

Manufacturers: Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc. and Unertl
Length: 57 inches (144.78 centimeters)
Barrel length: 29 inches (73.67 cm)
Weight: 32.5 pounds (14.75 kilograms) (unloaded)
Bore diameter: 12.7mm (.50 Caliber)
Maximum effective range on equipment-sized targets: 1800 meters
Muzzle velocity: 2800 feet (854 meters) per second
Magazine capacity: 10 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $6,000

Features: The M82A1A is a semi-automatic, air cooled, box magazine fed rifle chambered for the .50 caliber, M2 Browning Machine Gun cartridge (.50 BMG or 12.7 x 99mm NATO). This rifle operates by means of the short recoil principle. The weapon system is comprised of the rifle (M82A1A) with a Unertl 10-power scope and an additional box magazine. The system comes packed in its own watertight, airtight carrying case with an air release valve for aircraft transportation and the requisite cleaning rod and brushes. The basic M82A1A rifle is equipped with bipod, muzzle brake, carrying handle, metallic sights, and 10-round box magazine. There is also a back pack for cross country transport and a bandolier for extra magazines is available.

Background: The M82A1A is designed to provide commanders the tactical option of employing snipers with an anti-materiel weapon to augment the present anti-personnel M40A1 7.62mm weapon. The rifle is manufactured by Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Incorporated of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The scope is manufactured by Unertl to match the trajectory of .50 caliber Raufoss Grade A (DODIC A606), which is the standard operational round.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I used the Winchester Model 12

I was qualified on Winchester Model 12 shotgun. Of course we had one growing up on the farm. I was surprised they had a short version they used for guard duty and the MP's used them at the stockade.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:15 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Question 1IDVET

While in RVN and long after I've spoken to a number of NCOs and Officers who have said that the .50 was specifically singled out as an anti-vehicle/bunker/air craft/boat weapon. Could it be that this is an all time great urban legend? Found the Geneva Convention documents once on the Internet, it appeared to be about as long as the Bible and really not worth reading.
There is no doubt that the targets for the .50 are the same as the M-60, or were way back when. To be able to hit what you want to shoot, that would seem prudent.
The list of ammo reminded me of back in the day. We were issued some armor piercing when operating in the Hobo Woods and the Iron Triangle. The idea was to get through the trees to get to the bunkers. The .50 was also a handy way of "mowing the yard".

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-11-2003, 01:17 PM

I believe it was/is an urban legend Andy.
While I was in, I heard it a few times myself, but when ever I trained with the weapon, it was as an anti-personnel/vehicle/aircraft weapon.
Also, I noted many instances where it was fired at troops in Iraq, both in the first, (first hand), and the latest iteration (news).
Old 06-11-2003, 11:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default >50cal as a sniper rifle

In Vietnam GySgt Carlos Hathcock(sp) then Sgt. Hathcock made the longest comfirmed kill as a sniper 2200yrds+ using a scoped M-2 (MaDuce).
Old 06-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Doc.2/47

Was gonna mention that myself MarineAO,in the 9th ID in '70 starlight scoped M2's were used routinely mounted on tracks when the terrain was right for night perimiter defence.A few very long kills were made.

BBB-
You need to understand that most countries follow,or talk about ,the Geneva convention only when it is to their advantage to do so.I might wish this were diferent.The convention says that it's that it's a no-no to shoot medics,however I've ended up with a nice round puckered scar on my ass and a bunch dead medic buddies and this seems to indicate to me that somebody neglected to read that part.The convention also has sections dealing with the treatment of prisoners and civilians.Given your age I will not be too discriptive but I -and quite a few other folks on this site-can tell you for an absoute fact that the VC/NVA did NOT play by the "rules".
Old 06-12-2003, 08:45 AM

Doc-
Thanks for the clarity. unfortunately some people dont know how to read. but like u said at the end of your post, i understand that, also since my dad was over there in 68-69, central highlands, 4th ID, and his call sign while on patrol was BBB. so I understand somewhat of the disadvantages you guys especially when you were fighting against an enemy who had no dignity,or at least the respect to not shoot medics who would without a doubt save a NVA soldier lieing on the ground wounded.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Doc.2/47

The most trouble I ever got in to in the Army was when I advised a Com.Sgt.Maj. that my section would be unable to comply with a certain order because the order was a clear violation of the Geneva Convention (which it was).