The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2003, 02:01 PM

.50 has never been outlawed by any one as an anti-personnel weapon. WHAT WAS OUTLAWED for use against troops were explosive bullets and/or dumdum (named for the Dumdum Arsenal in India) ammo which was heavily scored to spread out a soft lead bullet. At one time I've heard that it was "Illegal" to use the Twin Dusters (40mm Bofors) Anti-aircraft weapon against troops however I saw a lot of Dusters on fire bases in Vietnam and never heard of VC or NVA aircraft. They were used for perimeter defense. Most of this "Outlawed" stuff is just urban legend.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2003, 06:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

In the book ?Marine Sniper? by Charles Henderson, there is a picture of the scope-rigged M2 that Carlos Hathcock set up. It is interesting to see how hard-set that 50 was and it must have taken a bit of work to get that heavy looking tri or quad pod set up in a sand bag position like that. Then it?s a question as to how they tied it down in the soil so it didn?t jump and buck all over the place. But ya can?t argue with a 2500-yard kill so Carlos must have really known his stuff, including gun suspension, for sure.

Scamp
Old 06-13-2003, 07:32 AM

colmurph, the NVA had aircraft up north, patroling Hanoi, and what they called the Iron Triangle. The Chinese sent planes and pilots to train the north vietnamese. and they were pretty good. becasue the planes were Migs, Mig-17, Mig-19, and they rarely carried A-A missles, so they relied on their guns, giving some of our pilots flashbacks of Korea and some of WW2. because in korea the kill ratio was 7-1. meaning for every plane they shot down of ours we shot down 7. in Nam it dropped to 3-1, becasue pilots relied to much on missiles and lost their true dogfighting skills. so the North were able to actually shoot down some of our planes with a not to inferior air force, that consisited of mostly Korean War planes.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Had a MIG fly over us by the DMZ around Con Thien in 1971. I told all the tracks to scatter and called it in. Afew seconds later it roared over again back over the Z. I forgot to start this off with " this ain't no shit " but really , this ain't no shit. '
Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default BBB....

I think you are reading the Col. out of context. The Communists, specifically the PAVN, Soviet Union and PRC didn?t seriously challenge the air over South Vietnam but they were active above the 17th parallel if they thought they had the edge. I saw them on radar all the time while cruising north of the 17th, and we tried to pick a fight and have them challenge our AAA or AA missile batteries. Our smallest AAA battery was the twin 3 inch-50 cal rapid-fire mount (four of those). And our largest was the 125-mile range Talos twin rail missile launcher (two of those) between those two, there were five 5 inch 38 cal twin mounts. And of course everything was radar fire controlled and calibrated as fine as frogs hair. My guess is that they didn?t want to end up as sizzling raspberry jam mixed in with scraps of hot aluminum so they declined the invitation.

But anyway, AAA and AA missile batteries could be seen in many places in South Vietnam but either went un fired or were put to other purposes because the Communists never seriously challenged the air superiority.

It?s my understanding that the Col. was SF during the VN war and in all probability was well aware of what was up, who was who in the zoo and what to be seriously concerned with.

Scamp