The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Another one joins the ranks....?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Denying any anti-American sentiment on his part, actor Johnny Depp (news) said on Thursday that quotes attributed to him as likening the United States to a "dumb puppy" were inaccurate and taken out of context.

"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," Depp said in a statement released by his Los Angeles-based publicist. "It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Depp, currently starring in the swashbuckling film "Pirates of the Caribbean," issued the statement a day after the German news magazine Stern published an interview in which he ridiculed Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the U.S. war in Iraq (news - web sites).

The magazine quoted the actor as saying "America is ... like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive." He was further quoted as saying he wanted his children to "see America as ... a broken toy" that they should explore, get the feel of, then "get out."

Explaining his comments a day later, Depp he had been using a metaphor that was taken "radically out of context," adding, "There was no anti-American sentiment."

"What I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation," he said. "My deepest apologies to those who were offended, affected, or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent."

His spokeswoman added that the Kentucky-born Depp, 40, lives in the south of France with his family because his wife, actress-singer Vanessa Paradis (news), is French.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2003, 08:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Red face

GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK!!!

Old 09-06-2003, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."--Johnny Depp, date unknown
Old 09-06-2003, 08:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Noam Chomsky has been saying very much the same thing for a few decades, in various ways, on various topics.

We see how often he is asked to join the Talking Heads.

Like it or him or not, try reading his book "The Fateful Triangle", or Michael Parenti's "Black Shirts and Reds."
Old 09-06-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Thanks Hardcore!

I've been around for a few weeks... but my connection is very slow and I've got sooo much to catch up on around here!

Bummed out about Depp though - one of my favorite actors gone wrong.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Brad ..

Great to see you back !! Jump in !! It looks like Depp got a royal hatchet job...just journalists...not newsmakers though..right Blue ? LOL

Larry
Old 09-06-2003, 08:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Deep'ster,..

..He isn't hurting anyone, and really didn't insult the US directly with his comment as such, (unlike the famous country group the Dixie Chocks did with Natilie's slew of genius),...

...deep is more like "edward scissorhands" lots of snips, and none off the top,...

... semi talented, but yet not fully accclaimed through some magnificient film...

...we are a big puppy, we'd love to romp, and play in the big world without a care, but there's always some other stupid f*#king mutt shitting all over, and biting people, and tipping over all the garbage cans, and f*#king it up for the rest of us, so yea we get a bitz aggressive, so F*#king what., somebody got to stop the other stupid f*#king dogs from shitting all over, and biting people, and tipping over the garbage cans, and f*#king it up for the rest of us............simple enough...............

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk