The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Police/Fire/EMS

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2003, 10:03 AM

Ron,

I don't have my head in a cloud. I'm speaking from my own experience. Your experience sounds completely different than mine. Perhaps, regions make a difference when discussing this topic.

I think it's wrong to state all minorities made it in the departments because they fell under the quotas. I am sure you saw this happen, but can you honestly state each minority working for your department made it undeserved? I don't think you can.

As for Black TV, it's wrong to have separation. I don't think it's right to have the Black Entertainment Channel. They are separating themselves. But, we're not really talking about that. We're talking about Blacks and minorities on the police and fire departments.

Much of what you state is true regarding our social problems. But, I don't believe each minority on our department have made it unearned.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 11:43 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Arrow Philly

Going back to the original post, that judge's order back in the 70s was necessary to pull down the "good old boy" wall. However, it was done so poorly that any minority or woman who got a job in police or fire for quite a few years was looked down on, people thinking they ONLY got the job because of their color, ethnic back ground or sex. This made it very hard for those who were qualified. I can recall pulling a cop aside and saying about a Hispanic officer to a white cop, "He's really ok, he's good".
It came to the point of foolishness. There is the famous Malarski case. A Boston cop named Malarski passed the sergeants exam with a perfect score. Four minority officers with lower scores got the promotion. Malarski got married and took her last name, Rayez. He took the exam for sergeant, Lt. and Captain. Once he was a captain he divorced his wife and changed his name back to Malarski. The ACLU went nuts but he retained his rank. That sort of thing points out the nonsense of the court ruling.
You are right, the world has turned since the 70s, education has improved, the Head Start program has made a difference. I'm happy the court changed the rules due to fairness but I'll bet a lot of minority folks are happy too. When they get an appointment or promotion everyone will know it was a level playing field and they earned it.
Regarding the Bolo incident, if the police had information the person they were looking for was suspected of being armed, they done good. If not, a tad more training would have been in order.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 PM

Andy,

I didn't refute anything you stated. I was simply stating that I don't believe the minorities today, where I live, are hired based on their skin tone or last name. I have met some great minority people who are cops and firemen. These men made it because they are educated and skilled.

As for the incident related to my best friend's father, it happened in a small town with little or no crime. The man was a Chaplain for Royal Rangers and never broke the law or had a ticket issued to him. I think their approach could have been a little different, but maybe I'm being sensitive because I knew him as warm and descent man.

Old 06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Philly

This is the first time you used the word (all) when talking about minorities getting on Fire or police departments, No I don't belive all minorities got on fire or police by quotas , as a matter the ones that did make it on our fire department by aroundabout way are no longer with our fire department and if you'll look at another post I made here called My Crew you will see there is a black guy on my crew, he is a very fine firefighter and went through the process of getting hired without any outside help at all. And not only that but I asked for him to be on my crew, I didn't have to take him. I am the senior officer in our fire department so I could have anyone I wanted.

Those cops didn't know your friends father, what they saw was a suspect and acted on that, I wouldn't want them to do any less. He wasn't arrested was he? He was inconveinonced, Maybe you think the police officers might have asked the suspect to please talk to us after you have done your shopping, we'll just wait outside. Yea right.

Ron
Old 06-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Philly

The post is not called my crew its called "pictures" There are pictures of me and my crew.

Ron
Old 06-20-2003, 04:50 PM

I think when you're going to be discussin a group, you have to be more specific in your references. You inadvertently made it sound like "all" were not qualified. You didn't point out "some" were qualified. It's a play with words, but it's important to be specific, especially, when discussing topics like this.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Philly

I don't belive I used the word qualified at all. I don't know what post your reading. must be something Andy wrote. However the minority people that got a 70 and were given a 100 as a test score are not qualified.

its real hard to get specific because I don't know any of the people were talking about. I was talking in general except for your friends father.

Ron
Old 06-21-2003, 11:31 AM

Ron,

I understand.