The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Police/Fire/EMS

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2003, 12:06 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post Testify

A dog can't testify it was the victim of an assault. That is very true. However people are convicted of that crime without the dog's testimony. The victim of a murder can't testify either, however some people are convicted and without the testimony. This could be another example of different states - different laws. Around here dogs have been sworn in as cops for at least 20 years.
When they "alert" on a suitcase at an airport for example, it is considered probable cause to search the item. The same is true when a dog "alerts" on the trunk of a car, a school locker, or in an apartment. The dog handler testifies on behalf of the dog. A three year old who was sexually assaulted would generally not be asked to testify in a criminal case. A one year old victim would never, of course, be asked to testify but pedophiles are still convicted.
Dogs aren't people, however when they are trained to find drugs, as an example, their abilities are accepted as "expert".
Until the time they want to unionize for extra days off, more pay and for protection when they start hitting on other dogs for sex, I think we ought to continue to call them Officer Rex.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Dog

The case we are talking about is not an asualt on a dog its an asualt on a ploice officer, as the defence would no dought bring up, If this animal is an officer it should be able to testify under oath, If this animal is not an officer than the assult against a police officer should be thrown out. Take your pick, ya can't have it both ways, Is the dog an officer or not?

Look, there is no dought that the dogs ,that officers control do great things for that officer, but calling a dog an officer is a
dis-services to the police officer that is an officer. Why don't we call his car an officer or his vest? I'll tell you why, because they are equipment, That was bought.

Kicking the dog would be the same as kicking the car. No more, no less.

Ron
Old 04-29-2003, 03:42 PM

I think the difference is if you kick a car you can't hurt it, I.E. cause it pain.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Last time I checked..

a car or a vest didn't have blood and a brain...

Larry
Old 04-29-2003, 08:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Just A Farm Kid Insight on this Police Dog Debate

Farmers, NOT ALL, seem to think of their working animals in the same way they look at new equipment. If a herding dog isn't working out then he is disposable. Now, my wife the wonderful sweet person she is becomes emotionally attached to just about any animal (including me!). She would never consider a police dog or any other pooch a tool. But, an object of affection.
I think its all how you look at it.

Keith
Old 04-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Officer

Personnaly I don't care about animals one way or the other, They are good to eat, Thats all,
You can't go down to the local pound and buy a police officer, unless your talking slavery, you buy a dog, train it to do what ever you want it to and use it until its wore out, then you get another one, Car, vest , Dog. Gun, Holster, shoes. Some people may grow attached to there peice of equipment, like a New York Cop and his horse, but that attachment doesn't make the equipment anything more than equipment. sorry.

Ron
Old 04-30-2003, 02:25 PM

I suppose dog fongu would be a treat...
Old 04-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default dog food

wouldn't bother me any to eat officer dog.
Hot BBQ pit , slow cook for 4 or 5 hours, some beer, a few frends.

Ron