The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2004, 03:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I just talked to Tina and she is OK !

I just talked to Tina and she is OK. She said she will probably be
off the power grid for at least a week or more. How are the other Florida folk doing ?

Larry
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry,

Looks like the ol' Rigger won't get this one...it's sliding north well east of me. Might get a little rain out of it.

Did Tina say anything about damage to her place?

Anyone heard from Gimpy?

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve,

Glad to have you back and happy your ok. Not heard from any of the Floridians at this point, other than you. Hopefully today. Larry, glad to hear that Tina is once again, ok. Hellish Hurricane season this year.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Back

on line & in one piece (I think?).............after nearly 48 hours without power!

Lost power about 11:30 am on Saturday and power restored today about 10:45 am.

This one was a lot worse than Frances was a couple of weeks ago. We had more than 1.6 million folks without power yesterday, it's down to about 800,000 now here in the Tampa Bay area. Had about a 12 foot storm surge that did some major damage to folks along the coast from Sarasota all the way up to Cedar Key (about 250 miles). We've got a little (about 40 acres) nature park on the coast called Key Vista park about 1/4 mile from my house that was pretty much destroyed. All roads leading into the area were under water at some time during the height of the storm as was some houses (whats left of them) on or near the coastline. Like I said before, we built our house on a portion of land called "Baileys Bluff" that sits up about 22 or 23 feet above sea level so the surge didn't get to us........thank God! But, it was all around us for a time with no way IN or OUT until the water receded. I finally got out and up to U.S. Highway 19 late yesterday for some ice and hot food at a few places that did have power......which weren't many!

Pine trees are no more! If there were any within a few hundred yards of the coast..........they're ALL gone....down or falling over and will have to be taken the rest of the way down. Live oaks held up much better except for the real big ones with lots of limbs.............most of them are gone also. Palm trees held up prety well also,,,,,,,only a few of them down. Boat docks (and boats) are pretty much destroyed or severely damaged all along the coast from about Clearwater up to Cedar Key, as are a lot of the roads along the coast.

This obviously wasn't as strong as was Ivan when it hit Steve (rigger) up around FT. Walton and Pensacola..............but we did clock some wind gusts near 120 mph near the coast line late Saturday...............that's bad enough for me thank you very much! I can only imagine how bad it must be up where Steve is at if it's THIS bad where I'm at. Our house held up real well. I thought for a while there that my screen enclosure (lanai) over the patio and pool was going to take off like a kite a few times! But, it stayed together after all. Had some trees down all around us, but none close enough to do any damage.

Lots of folks down here are now suffering from a diferent version of PTSD.....Post Traumatic Storm Disorder! .........and probably will be for a long time now!

Anyone need any "fire wood"???? :cd: We got enough to last at least a couple of winters for you cold weather folks up north! Just......... "Y'ALL COME on down and get it.............ya heanh!

Thanks for everyones concerns and well wishes. I sure hope & pray Tina is doing OK.........it's awfully tough going without airconditioning & refrigeration for any amount of time!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sure glad to hear that all 3 of you guys made it through with just minimal incedents. WHEW! Isn't there like 2 more months of "Hurricane Season?" I don't think I'd live anywhere that had any kind of "Disaster [hurricane, tornado, flood] Season." Glad we don't have "Earthquake Season." I guess there was a 6.0 [pretty good jolt] quake quite a ways south of us. No damage or casualties that I've heard about. Just enough to remind you of where you live .
Old 09-28-2004, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Been wondering where you were, Frisco!!!
Haven't seen you posting since I got back online after IVAN.

Here's a sobering thought for ya'll:

Hurricane season OFFICIALLY ends on November 30th.

Hurricane season ACTUALLY ends...whenever the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico water temperatures drop below 82 degrees F.

There are numerous instances of 'canes in December, and even one in January! :re:

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-01-2004, 12:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 
Default Finnaly

Just got power back couple hours ago.. There is a god in heaven cause i don't have to go another nite with out my A/C..

Larry hope i didn't freak you out to much when i called.. Thanks for posting for me..

Glad to here all of us made it thru once again..

I had no damage done and damn it mcdonalds is still strong..
I am beging to wounder why I moved here at this time of the year sighs.. not to smart.. but anyways just wanted to say thanks for everything from everyone..
love you all
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 10-01-2004, 01:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

and anyone who wants to call feel free.. phone is workingagain
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 10-01-2004, 01:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got just a small taste of what you all have been going through when we went to Charleston. Surely you will have much good luck soon.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Tina

Glad to hear that you and your family, once again, dodged the bullet. Also glad to see your smilin' face [posts] on here again. you were missed.