The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2003, 06:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC
Thumbs up Metal of Honor for Lt. (j.g.) Donald Arthur Gary, USN

Medal of Honor

http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/

The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation's bravest Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration's creation in 1861.

This is one of those heroes.

GARY, DONALD ARTHUR

Rank and organization: Lieutenant, Junior Grade, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Franklin.
Place and date: Japanese Home Islands near Kobe, Japan, 19 March 1945.
Entered service at: Ohio. Born: 23 July 1903, Findlay, Ohio.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as an engineering officer attached to the U.S.S. Franklin when that vessel was fiercely attacked by enemy aircraft during the operations against the Japanese Home Islands near Kobe, Japan, 19 March 1945. Stationed on the third deck when the ship was rocked by a series of violent explosions set off in her own ready bombs, rockets, and ammunition by the hostile attack, Lt. (j.g.) Gary unhesitatingly risked his life to assist several hundred men trapped in a messing compartment filled with smoke, and with no apparent egress.
As the imperiled men below decks became increasingly panic stricken under the raging fury of incessant explosions, he confidently assured them he would find a means of effecting their release and, groping through the dark, debris-filled corridors, ultimately discovered an escapeway. Stanchly determined, he struggled back to the messing compartment 3 times despite menacing flames, flooding water, and the ominous threat of sudden additional explosions, on each occasion calmly leading his men through the blanketing pall of smoke until the last one had been saved.
Selfless in his concern for his ship and his fellows, he constantly rallied others about him, repeatedly organized and led fire-fighting parties into the blazing inferno on the flight deck and, when firerooms 1 and 2 were found to be inoperable, entered the No. 3 fireroom and directed the raising of steam in 1 boiler in the face of extreme difficulty and hazard.
An inspiring and courageous leader, Lt. (j.g.) Gary rendered self-sacrificing service under the most perilous conditions and, by his heroic initiative, fortitude, and valor, was responsible for the saving of several hundred lives. His conduct throughout reflects the highest credit upon himself and upon the U.S. Naval Service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2003, 06:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I like this one myself...............

Smith was from Haverstraw, near me.
SMITH, RICHARD

Rank and organization: Private, Company B, 95th New York Infantry. Place and date: At Weldon Railroad, Va., 21 August 1864. Entered service at: Harverstraw, Rockland County, N.Y. Birth: Harverstraw, Rockland County, N.Y. Date of issue: 13 March 1865. Citation: Captured 2 officers and 20 men of Hagood's brigade while they were endeavoring to make their way back through the woods.

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-24-2003, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Then of course.............

this Coastie did a hell of a job!

*MUNRO, DOUGLAS ALBERT

Rank and organization: Signalman First Class, U.S. Coast Guard Born: 11 October 1919, Vancouver, British Columbia. Accredited to Washington. Citation: For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry m action above and beyond the call of duty as Petty Officer in Charge of a group of 24 Higgins boats, engaged in the evacuation of a battalion of marines trapped by enemy Japanese forces at Point Cruz Guadalcanal, on 27 September 1942. After making preliminary plans for the evacuation of nearly 500 beleaguered marines, Munro, under constant strafing by enemy machineguns on the island, and at great risk of his life, daringly led 5 of his small craft toward the shore. As he closed the beach, he signaled the others to land, and then in order to draw the enemy's fire and protect the heavily loaded boats, he valiantly placed his craft with its 2 small guns as a shield between the beachhead and the Japanese. When the perilous task of evacuation was nearly completed, Munro was instantly killed by enemy fire, but his crew, 2 of whom were wounded, carried on until the last boat had loaded and cleared the beach. By his outstanding leadership, expert planning, and dauntless devotion to duty, he and his courageous comrades undoubtedly saved the lives of many who otherwise would have perished. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-24-2003, 07:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC

Tamaroa,

Both commendable individuals but I think they should be separate threads. Consider using "new thread" instead of the quick reply box.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I took this................

to be a place to post MOH winners we admire . Did I miss something? I will delete the posts if you wish.

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-26-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Ah, yes, the USS Franklin--

one of my favorite WWII stories. There should be a movie made about Big Ben and her men. The Franklin was the most decorated ship of the war. Gary wasn't the only one on board to receive the MOH. Have you read the book, "The Ship That Wouldn't Die"?

Gary had written a letter home in preparation for death--a letter marked "To Whom it May Concern, the enclosed letter is to mailed only if I am killed in action." Dated Sat., 17 March 1945, at sea. He opens the letter to his wife and son--"My Dear Wife and Son: Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! If I could only be there to kiss you and try to make you and I both happy. And I believe I could . . . ." and he ends the letter, "As God is my judge, I love you as much as life and hope it's not asking too much of the Lord to have both of you for a few years. Love to you - Love to Kenny P.S. There is so much more I'd like to write can't put it in words. Besides - I think I've let you know how I feel on a day like this. I've felt like this always, sweetheart, but you know me - I don't say it often - or don't say things I should say at all. Love, Don."

And just two days later Donald Arthur Gary could very well have died, but instead he rose to the occasion and saved many lives by using his wits and courage.

Father O'Callahan was also awarded the MOH for his actions aboard the Franklin on 19 March 1945.

Captain Leslie E. Gehres was considered for the MOH, but turned it down because he felt he was just doing his duty as the commanding officer. I wonder if Gehres would have gotten the MOH anyway--as he didn't treat some of the survivors of the Franklin very well, and they never forgave him.