Old 12-08-2003, 04:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Sergeants take charge, command "The Fight"

Sergeants take charge, command "The Fight"
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 200312520124
Story by Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif.(Nov. 20, 2003) -- Noncommissioned officers might be the backbone of the Marine Corps, but at a recent exercise, they served as the brain trust.

Combat Service Support Battalion 10 ran the whole show Nov. 18-20 at a field excecise called Operation Bloodstripe, a training exercise designed to test noncommissioned officers' combat leadership.

The exercise allowed Operation Iraqi Freedom veterans to impart lessons to Marines who might deploy to Iraq.

Bloodstripe put the unit's sergeants in high-profile billets, including commanding officer, platoon commanders and company first sergeants.

The NCOs planned and executed the entire operation for more than 100 Marines ? from handling logistics to planning the training schedule.

"Operation Bloodstripe is something the NCOs came up with last year when I challenged them to come up with some event that they would like to lead and take charge of," said Lt. Col. Robert K. Weinkle, CSSB-10's commanding officer.

"So we put that into place in preparation for Operation Iraqi Freedom. We were able to do two of those evolutions before we deployed," he said.

The first two exercises paid off during the unit's deployment to Iraq.

"We did this operation twice before we went to Iraq and it worked out, because we didn't have Marines that were over there that didn't know anything," said Sgt. Edward I. Salatino, who acted as 2nd Platoon commander. "They all had a handle on how to do entry control points and handling enemy prisoners of war, and that worked out when we had a lot of displaced civilians coming through our area and even some of the deserting military that we saw."

Because of past success, Weinkle decided to bring Bloodstripe back into the training schedule when they returned.

"It paid huge dividends because we had NCO leadership, and they knew what to do in a combat environment with CSS-related skills like convoys, ambushes and that kind of stuff," Weinkle said. "It really developed their leadership skills, so what we wanted to do was bring that to bear again, knowing that OIF II is coming up, and this gives them another basic way to hone their skills."

This Bloodstripe was the first to use the Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System 2000, using lasers mounted on M-16A2 rifles to identify hit targets.

"It's pretty much high-tech laser tag," he said. "When they get hit, the equipment goes off and they're pretty much out of the game."

Preparation for the exercise included classroom instruction for junior Marines on convoy operations. The lessons also offered Marines who deployed to Iraq and Kuwait the opportunity to pass what they learned in combat down to those who didn't deploy.

"The veterans we have, from lance corporal on up to the sergeant level, really pay dividends," Weinkle said.

"We did some pre-training back in garrison, and that is where they were able to stand up and provide their own unique experiences during OIF.," he said.

The exercise, though planned on short notice, offered real-life lessons in logistics planning for the NCOs.

Lessons learned from Bloodstripe are already being factored into an exercise planned for January.

"We're going to have way more ammo and we're going to have all the small logistical stuff already pre-planned," said Sgt. Timothy W. Kuhlembeck, the acting commanding officer for Operation Bloodstripe.

"I took everything I have and made binders and discs, so when the next group comes out and does this it's right there. They will have all that stuff done and all they have to do is train the Marines," he said.

The NCOs learned firsthand the responsibilities that come with a command billet.

"One thing I've learned is how to assume the role of a platoon commander and see the responsibility that goes along with that ? making sure not only that the mission is being accomplished, but making sure the troops' welfare is being looked after," Salatino said.

Young leaders agreed the exercise was eye-opening. The lessons from just a couple of days showed them how they might react if they're forced into command positions in combat.

"I think other CSS elements need to incorporate this training into their normal training schedule," Salatino said. "The best troop welfare you can give is realistic training."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2...55?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links