The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up "The shoes of a Korean War Veteran"

Recently I attended a memorial service for Korean War Veterans and received a poem that moved me deeply. It was originally written by Jack D. Ross but is just as relevant to the Vietnam War as it was to the Korean War. I hope that all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters enjoy reading it. I think it cuts right to the bone and exposes the feelings of a Vietnam Veteran just as it did the Korean War Veteran. I hope you find it as relevant as I did.

"It was fifty years ago in a place far away
but the memories remain and surface each day"

"Of the mission of our platoon to defend a barren hill
from the North Korean Soldiers. It was kill or be killed"

"With artillery and machine guns, carbines and men
you fight off the enemy again and again"

"You defend the damn mountain till the objective was met
you are walking in the shoes of a Korean War Vet"

"There are medics shooting morphine into a wounded man's vein
to silence the cry and lessen the pain"

"The stench of bodies, the unforgettable smell
makes your whole body tremble and you are scared as hell"

"A good friend you seek out, but he was in the wrong place
for now an olive drab blanket is covering his face"

"You look to the heavens and quietly pray
but your prayers go unanswered day after day"

"The chaplain is busy helping carry the injured men
to the helicopter landing where fighting had just been"

"You recall when it ended, we have all held our ground
and it's time to go home and there is hardly a sound"

"If you often wonder is this as bad as it gets
you are walking in the shoes of a Korean War Vet"

"You were among the lucky, back on American Soil
but what you have been through still makes your blood boil"

"All this has turned you into an angry young man
who committed legalized murder with blood on his hands"

"You don't want to look at people passing by
just want to be alone and you are too proud to cry"

"There are times when you think you would be better off dead
and visions of suicide rush through your head"

"And you tell yourself that time heals all wounds
after all these years you know it's not going away soon"

"You don't watch war movies in the theater or on TV because you
know it could trigger another of those heartbreaking memories
that you are trying to forget.
Only then you are waling in the shoes of a Korean War Vet"

"There are more wars a coming, and I am too old to fight
but when I look at our great banner, it's stars and stripes"

"It sends shivers through my body, and I know right then,
for liberty and freedom I'd do it all over again"

As stated before this poem was originally written in memory of the Korean War Veterans, but it could just as easily have been written by a Vietnam War Vet. The thoughts and fears all apply to Vietnam as it did to Korea. In fact, this poem probably reflects what all participants of all of our nation's wars, have ever felt. After reading it, you be the judge though.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Very chilling poem - don't know if I should thank you or just turn the page.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Hope I did not hurt you Boats:

Boats--I had no desire to bring up any bad memories by posting the poem. I was merely trying to draw comparisons between Korea and Vietnam, with regards to how we all felt about serving there. If I have hurt you in any way--or made you uncomfortable by reading it--I apologize fully. Hope you forgive me Brother:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 AM

Not hurt - just taken back by the feeling that all was for nothing. It had to feel like such a waste. A waste of such young men during such hard times. War sucks always has always will. Takes the best we have and sends them back two way - one in bag and another walking internally wounded.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I have the same feelings at times:

Boats, I get the same feelings about Vietnam. A noble cause that politicians screwed up right from the beginning. And the cost was paid for in the Blood of over 58,000 fine young men, and women. I also believe that, for the most part, the Vietnamese people also deserve at least some of the blame for the loss. They really had no desire to fight their own war and left it up to us to do their fighting for them. When the United States pulled out, the South Vietnamese military completely fell apart which led to their total defeat in no time at all. In fact, without the backing of the United States, the War probably would have ended much sooner then it did; and with the same results.

Welcome Home Brother

VIETNAM 1968
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 AM

The trouble with the Vietnamese civvies was that they wanted others to fight their war - yet tens of thousands died right along with our troops. Because you don't want to fight doesn't mean you won't become a casualty. This is really something most people don't understand about war.

We had the weapons and the tools of war they did not - yet they were in the zone where war was being made. To think they would not become part of the war is just ludicrous.

Such a waste of life and to see such suffering come from it is very disturbing and yet we the people of this planet continue to do war.

I'm not a peace monger but I do think there has to be a better way - before going to war. Once the boots are on the ground the tools of war will be everlasting. War should mean weapons at ready and once this commitment is made - then all hell is unleashed and ground will tremble from the damage and carnage that come with it.

I also believe that if you make war you should be ready to use any resource needed to sustain the war until one side yells - UNCLE! I quit I don't want this any more. But with that comes another avenue of retribution and of course all those injured in the war will need to be taken care of.

Only then do we look back and see what this waring has really caused. The good and bad on both sides of the field are now beaten down to a point of finally asking the question - did we learn anything from this?

I love our country and its the best place to live. Our people like all others we care about our kids and our general welfare. Yet war comes and now very often - haven't we learned anything?

All these young kids who like us go off to war find that many of the reasons why we went were not clearly understood until many years later - when those we knew are no longer there with us and many still linger in hospitals or are disfigured to a point of little consequences to fellow human beings. The ultimate sacrifices of war are so everlasting and bring terror to those who've been involved in one way or another from past wars.

Each war ever fought is supposed to be the last. Each war we should learn something from it. Is it our nature to destroy everything we build? Are we all so different that we just can't get along - ever?

Our countries best interest should be our people and we should fight with all our might to protect them at any cost and those who take up the sword should die by it.

My preamble is getting long and winded and before long it will get redundant - must be my old kicking in.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"