The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Another Year has Passed and the Pain Still has Not Gone Away:

Well another year has passed and I still remember the death of my Best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish, just as if it had happened today. It was forty-two years ago, September 7, 1968, that Alan died from wounds received in Vietnam. Today, September 9, 2010 would have been his sixty-second birthday.

Some of you already know the story as I have placed it on this fine forum a few years ago. For you that don't know the story I would like to tell it again.

Alan and I grew up together in Woburn, Massachusetts and were the best of friends. We were always together and most people mistook us for Brothers instead of just good friends. We worked together at the same Supermarket after High School and even dated the same girls. We both loved to work on cars but our limited knowledge of them usually resulted in not fixing what we were trying to fix in the first place.

Alan was one year younger then I was and graduated in 1966 from Woburn High School. I graduated a year earlier and took a dead end job as no real employer would consider hiring a kid with the draft hanging over his head. As a result I received my notice to report for my Pre Induction Physical the first part of 1966 and knew the Draft would not be far behind the notice.

Alan and I started to talk about enlistment in the military as neither one of us had any desire to serve in the Army. I wanted Alan to join the Air Force and he wanted me to join the Navy. Both branches had a Buddy System in effect at that time and we could have gone through Boot Camp together and a promise to station us together at the same military base after special training was completed.

Neither could get the other to agree on the same branch of the service and I then joined the Air Force in May 1966 while Alan took a delayed enlistment in order for him to finish High School. He then reported for Navy Boot Camp in September 1966.

After we both finished up Boot Camp, Alan was then trained as a Navy Corpsman and I learned to handle and store aviation gasolene and Jet Fuels. We both got leave after our respective training periods and managed to see each other before reporting to our first permanent military stations. That was the last time I ever saw Alan alive.

Alan received orders for Vietnam first and was assigned to the 3rd Marines, 3rd Military Police Battalion--H&S Company--Medical Department which was stationed just south of Danang Airbase. I follwed him to Vietnam in January 1968 and was assigned to Cam Ranh Bay. We kept in close contact by letters and even planned to go on R&R to Sidney Australia together but I could not get my application approved because I did not have sufficient time in country to get the same week that Alan had been assigned. Something that still bothers me to this day.

When I finally got back from my own R&R I immediately wrote Alan to tell him all about it. He did not answer that letter which I found rather strange because he always wrote right back after receiving a letter. I really did not worry about it howerver as I just thought that Alan was out in the field with his unit and could not write me back.

I then received a letter from my Mother and she broke the news to me that Alan had been severly wounded towards the end of August 1968 and had died on September 7, 1968. I was devistated and the sorrow started to reflect in my every day duties on the Flight Line. I was almost demoted in grade at one point for not doing my job correctly but the intervention of one of my NCOs saved me from any further problems. He knew just what I was going through and stuck his neck out for me with the higher up brass. I still owe that NCO a lot.

After I finished up my Tour I then returned to Woburn, Massachusetts and the first thing I did was go see Alan's mother and father. They asked me if I would accompany them to Boston, Massachusetts because they were to receive a Posthumous NAVY CROSS for bravery that Alan had shown while attempting to get to, and then treat a very badly wounded Marine. I still have a copy of that Navy Cross citation so every word of what I am about to write I know to be completely true.

On a combined Republic of Vietnam and Marine operation just south of Danang Airbase Alan's unit came under intense small arms and hand grenade attack. Several Marines were immediately wounded or killed. Alan then attempted to reach a very badly wounded Marine and ran across an open enemy fire swept field to reach the Marine. While doing so a hand grenade went off near Alan and he received shrapnel wounds to both legs. His wounds were severe, but not life threatening, at that time. Alan could have taken cover in an open bomb hole and taken care of his own wounds, but he chose not to do so. Instead he dragged himself to the location of the Marine as he could no longer run or even stand up.

When Alan reached the Marine he then used his own body as a shield to protect the Marine from small arms fire still being directed at him and then started to treat the Marine's wounds while still ignoring his own. While using his own body as a shield, Alan was then repeatedly struck in the lower torso area by enemy small arms fire. Alan then continued to ignore his own serious wounds and continued to treat the Marine until he passed out from lack of blood and shock. Just before passing out completely, Alan then placed two dressings against two of the Marines most serious wounds and then threw himself on top of the Marine in a further attempt to protect the Marine further, leaving himself completely exposed to the enemy fire.

When the enemy fire was finally eliminated other Marines and a Corpsman were then able to reach Alan and the Marine. Alan was more dead then alive and was immediately evacuated to an Aid Station where his wounds were found to be far too severe to be treated locally. He was then Air Evacuated to the Hospital Ship "Sanctuary" where he clung to life for almost two weeks before dying of his wounds.

I tried to get Emergency Leave in order to return to Woburn from Vietnam for Alan's funeral but that request was denied because I was not a Blood Relative of Alan's and therefore not eligable for Emergency Leave under those conditions. Alan's death still bothers me to this day and will until I join him in Death. I lost the Best Buddy I ever had and will ever have in the future.

Alan is now buried in the Woodbrook Cemetery, in the Veteran's Section, located in Woburn, Massachusetts. I visit his grave every anniversary, of either his death or birth, in order to insure that it is decorated. That is the least I can do as Alan's Mother is now elderly and living in the far North of Maine. His Sister now lives in Florida and is also unable to get back and decorate the grave either. Alan's name is located on Panel number 45 WEST, last name on the right side of the row, three rows up from the bottom, on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. I would consider it an honor if any of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters would stop by that location if they are ever in DC.

I know that every one of you has lost a good friend or relative during the Vietnam War. In most instances Alan's story is not very unique but I did want to tell his story again. I have been told that NO MAN EVER TRUELY DIES IF HIS NAME IS KEPT IN MEMORY BY OTHERS. I have made it my goal to do just that for Alan. Thank you for taking the time to read this entry. It meant a lot to me and Alan's family.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran BROTHERS and SISTERS I again want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for keeping Alan in our memory, your a good friend still to this day. Salute to Alan and you !
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow Salute, for you and your friend

Alan Robert Gerrish

Hospitalman
H&S CO, 3RD MP BN, FORCE LOG CMD, 3RD MAF
United States Navy
09 September 1948 - 07 September 1968
Woburn, Massachusetts
Panel 45W Line 061

The database page for Alan Robert Gerrish
25 Nov 2001 Alan Robert Gerrish

Recipient of the Navy Cross

Woburn High School
Class of '66
A Fine Classmate

Henry Valentine
hjv@qwest.net
26 November 2001
To the best Buddy any guy could ever hope to have. To me, you were more like a BROTHER than a FRIEND. I'll never forget the great times we had growing up together in Woburn, Massachusetts. Even the time span of thirty plus years has not begun to lessen the sadness of your tragic loss. You might be gone, but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. Some day, when my own life has ended, I hope that we might meet again, and resume the great friendship that I still treasure so much.
Alan Gerrish was wounded on August 23 and died of his wounds on September 7, 1968, two days short of his twentieth birthday. He is buried in Woburn, Massachusetts.
From your BUDDY and fellow Vietnam Veteran
Alan A. Faber
andfaber@comcast.net

A Note from The Virtual Wall

At 0300 23 August the Marine security outposts at the Cam Le Bridge just south of Danang came under heavy attack by what appeared to be most of a North Vietnamese battalion. Although the outpost on the north bank of the river held out, the outpost on the south side was overrun after a four hour fight. A reaction force from the 1st MP Bn (which had elements of the 3rd MP Bn attached) moved to reinforce the north bank outpost, while elements of the 1/27 and 2/27 Marines, supported by tanks from the 1st Tank Bn moved to recapture the southern end of the bridge. The fighting lasted well into the 23rd and resulted in a number of US killed and wounded - but the actions north and south of the river and follow-up sweeps by the Marines and the 52nd ARVN Infantry on 24-26 August resulted in several hundred NVA dead left on the field. The number of casualties at the Cam Le Bridge is difficult to determine with exactitude because a number of different units were involved. Close reading of the Command Chronologies shows that not fewer than 15 Marines and sailors died in the fight for the Cam Le Bridge:
  • D Co, 1st MP Bn:
  • H&S Co, 3rd MP Bn:
    • Cpl Robert D. Purdie, Sherman Oaks, CA
    • HN Alan R. Gerrish, Woburn, MA (DoW 07 Sep 1968) (Navy Cross)
    • LCpl Harold J. Klusendorf, Troy, MI
    • LCpl Jerry A. Weimer, Fort Morgan, CO
    • Pfc Christopher L. Chambers, Molalla, OR
  • A Co, 1st Bn, 27th Marines:
    • LCpl Henry H. Ballew, South Roxana, IL
    • LCpl Leo M. Jennette, Buxton, NC
  • H&S Co, 1st Bn, 27th Marines:
  • E Co, 2nd Bn, 27th Marines:
    • LCpl Michael L. Cooper, Chesapeake, WV
  • F Co, 2nd Bn, 27th Marines:
    • LCpl George A. Kyricos, Tewksbury, MA

"You guys are the Marine's doctors -
There's none better in the business than a Navy Corpsman ..."
-- Lieutenant General "Chesty" Puller --
Visit John Dennison's
Medics on the Wall
memorial which honors the
Army Medics and Navy Corpsmen who died in Vietnam.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
takes pride in presenting the

NAVY CROSS

posthumously to ALAN ROBERT GERRISH
Hospitalman
United States Navy

for services as set forth in the following
CITATION:
For extraordinary heroism on 23 August 1968 while serving as a Hospital Corpsman with the Third Military Police Battalion, Force Logistic Command, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific in connection with operations against communist agressor forces (Viet Cong) in the Republic of Vietnam. During a combined United States Marine Corps and Army of the Republic of Vietnam combat sweep near Danang Airfield, Hospitalman Gerrish's unit came under intense machine-gun fire and grenade attack. Without hesitation, he responded to the pleas for aid from wounded Marines. Braving an open fire-swept field to reach his fallen comrades, Hospitalman Gerrish was struck by shrapnel from an exploding grenade and fell to the ground near an open foxhole where he could have attained cover and tended to his wounds. Instead, in the face of the heavy enemy opposition, he chose to advance to the position of the wounded Marines in order to render medical aid. Crawling forward, he inserted himself between the enemy fire and a wounded Marine, using his body as a shield to protect the casualty from the hail of bullets. Critically wounded by enemy fire while engaged in administering first aid to the wounded Marine, Hospitalman Gerrish, by his heroic actions and selfless concern for his fallen comrades, served to inspire all who observed him, and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
Citation courtesy of Alan A. Faber
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Salute, Rest Well dear Soldier!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Thanks Bluehawk for your additional entry:

Thanks Bluehawk, my BROTHER, for your addition to my entry concerning Alan's wounds and death. Your entry confirmed much of what I wrote and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for bringing forward the additional information. I did not know how to carry over the information myself and you helped me out very much. I know Alan's Mother and Sister also thank you as well.

My thanks also to DMZ-LT and J Bozeman for their very kind additions as well. Bless you my BROTHERS.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran BROTHERS and SISTERS I again want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Very honorable way to keep your friends memory alive. God Bless you!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 AM

I am so sorry to have read of the loss of your best friend. even after all these years, the hurt never goes away. My best friend in Vietnam was my twin brother and fortunately we both made it home intact physically although not necessarily mentally. We both suffered from alcoholism for many years but are also well now.

Thank you for your service.
Bill
Nam, 71-72
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for keeping him in our memories Alan. I see they did not change my email address.

Still think of him often as well as John Frongillo and Charlie O'neill. My memories of them have come often with my VOC Doc.

Hank Valentine
Nam 67-70