The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2006, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Honoring All Those That Served In Vietnam:

On this Veteran's Day, I want to take a moment or two and thank all of my Vietnam Veteran friends for the support and friendship that you all have shown this past year, and every year since I became involved with this Forum.

At times I have felt that I am not worthy to communicate with Veterans such as yourselves because I spent my year in Nam in the relative safety of Cam Ranh Bay while serving with the Air Force. You, on the other hand, were Combat Veterans and therefore exposed to danger and possible death on a daily basis. I can say truthfully though that every one of you, that I have contacted through this Forum, have NEVER considered me anything less then a Vietnam Veteran and Brother. BLESS YOU ALL FOR BEING THE TYPE OF PEOPLE THAT I KNOW YOU TO BE and FOR BEING MY FRIENDS.

You all are a great bunch of Guys and Girls and I say, very proudly, that it is a privilege to associate with each and every one of you. Thanks for being there when I needed another Vietnam Veteran to talk to. You all are definitely THE VERY BEST that America has to offer.

I hope that every one of you enjoys this very special day. May you all have many more Veterans Days yet to come. I have said this phrase many times before but I wish to state it again, right from my heart, and very sincerely:

WELCOME HOME MY BROTHERS and SISTERS:

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

You are a Vietnam Veteran and a patroit, you belong here just like the rest of us. Don't matter where you were, or what you did, or what branch of Service you served in Nam, and that makes you a brother. For those who have fought for it, freedom has a price the protected will never know.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You were there....You are us.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-11-2006, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

It?s always been my belief that if you were in country, then you?re a VN Vet no matter what the MOS. Just because you were in the ?relative safety? of CRB don?t mean squat. The whole country was a war zone and if Charles wanted to kill you, didn?t matter where you were ?.. in the bush, a FSB, or a base camp he would try his best to zap you. Remember ? rockets and mortars could be lobbed into anywhere.

Welcome Home and have a great Veteran?s Day

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What

Robert, BoogerLee and Bill said!

It's an honor to know you Brother!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Vietnam 1968, if you think Cam Rahn was so safe, have Packo tell you how safe he felt in the hospital there when sappers came through the wire.

I don't care where you were there, you were never SAFE.

As I've said many times, we were ALL heroes; it takes alot of BALLS just to show up for a gunfight.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default vietnam 1968

thank you for your service and the same everyone else has said. 1968 was my year too.
Steve
Old 11-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

While in Cam Ranh Bay for a 3 day R&R, I was assigned a barracks, One night about 2am we got rocketed, everyone ran for some underground bunker, I looked at it with all those guys in there and I went to the beach, Sleep on the sand.
No place on the planet is safe from life taking experiences. Vietnam Vets are the same as WW2, Korea vets, if you were there, then thats all it takes.
Ron
Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I remember taking Rockets twice during my Tour in 1968

Hi Ron:

Was your three day In Country R&R during 1968? If so then I remember that Rocket Attack quite well. We lost a lot of JP4 Jet Fuel when several portable storage Bladders were struck. It happened during the night and I was in my Hooch at the time. The entire Fuel Section was recalled to our Duty Station however and we had to move several Refueling Trucks to safer areas and then try to keep the rest of our Aviation Gasoline and Jet Fuel from being consumed by the flames of the burning portable Bladders. That night was the first time I ever experienced a Rocket Attack. One of only two attacks against Cam Ranh Bay during my Tour in 1968.

You Combat Veterans experienced life threatening events almost daily during your Tours and I only experienced an attack twice in my entire year in country. That is why I now feel that I am not worthy to communicate with you Combat Veterans, but do appreciate all of you considering me as a Brother so much. I do value your friendship more and more each time that I have any contact with any of you. Thanks again--Just for being there and considering me as an equal--A Brother and friend.

After I returned to The World in January 1969, Cam Ranh Bay then was attacked quite frequently. I attribute the lack of hostile action in 1968 to the presence of the Korean Marines who were doing Perimeter Security at the time. The Gooks were deadly afraid of the Korean Marines and avoided any type of contact with them if possible. The Korean Marines however were withdrawn some time in 1969 and Cam Ranh Bay then was attacked much more regularly after that.

To Ron, and all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish you a heart felt:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I see you've added Clermont Florida to your Bio. which means you gotta be only a days drive to the Prayer breakfast, choir practice, and midget toss in April. So just come on up and join in... If you dont feel worthy now, You'll will when you leave the mtn.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU