The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Cool 40 Years Ago Today

It does not seem possible but forty years ago today my Best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish died aboard the Hospital Ship "Sanctuary" after being gravely wounded on August 23, 1968. He was the best Buddy I ever had and we were more like Brothers then good friends. I still mourn his death every day, but today, on the 40th anniversary of his death, I just had to seek the friendship of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters to help me through the day. To better tell all of you just what kind of guy Alan was, I will print out Alan's Posthumous Citation that accompanied his Navy Cross. I was very honored to have been asked by Alan's Mother and Father to accompany them to Boston, Massachusetts where his Navy Cross was presented to them. I had just gotten back from Vietnam myself and had gone to see his parents when I returned. Some day I hope to be permitted to join Alan again and we can then resume that friendship that I still treasure so to this day.

The Secretary Of The Navy Washington:

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the NAVY CROSS Posthumously to:

Alan R. Gerrish
HM3
United States Navy

For service set forth in the following CITATION:

For extrordinary heriosm on 23 August 1968 while serving as a Hospital Corpsman with the Third Military Police Battalion, Force Logistic Command, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, In connection with operations against communist aggressor forces (Viet Cong) in the Republic of Vietnam. During a combined United States Marine Corps and Army of the Republic of Vietnam combat sweep near Danang Airfield, Hospitalman Gerrish's unit came under intense machine-gun fire and grenade attack. Without hesitation, he responded to the pleas of aid from wounded Marines. Braving an open fire-swept field to reach his fallen comrades, Hospitalman Gerrish was struck by shrapnel from an exploding grenade and fell to the ground near an open foxhole where he could have attained cover and tended to his own wounds. Instead, in the face of the heavy enemy opposition, he chose to advance to the position of the wounded Marines in order to render medical aid. Crawling forward, he insterted his own body between the enemy fire and a wounded Marine, using his body as a shield to protect the casualty from the hail of bullets. Critically wounded by enemy fire while engaged in administering first aid to the wounded Marine, Hospitalman Gerrish, by his heroic actions and selfless concern for his fallen comrades, served to inspire all who observed him, and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

For the President:

Secretary of the Navy

I know that Alan is now in a far better place then here on Earth. He is now in the company of Andy, Tiny , Frank and all the rest of our Brothers and Sisters who have gone before us, both during the War and since. I like to think that they are now looking out for us living and preparing a place for us once we join them in Death.

Alan's name is inscribed on Panel #45 West--Last Name on the right side of the column--Three rows up from the bottom on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in Washington D.C. His mortal remains were buried in the Veteran's Section of the Woodbrook Cemetary in Woburn, Massachusetts and I visit his grave whenever I find myself in Woburn.

They say that no person truely dies if their memory is kept alive by others. I have tried to do just that since that tragic day forty years ago today. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and remembering a young man that never lived to see his twentieth birthday (September 9, 1968). I know that there are a lot more guys and girls like Alan and they all paid the Supreme Sacrifice in order for the rest of us to remain free and chat here on this Forum. Bless them all!!

To all of my Veitnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Default from another good friend

Amen Alan, we will miss him as I will the other classmates, John Frongillo and Charlie O'Neil. Someday we will be with them again as well as all the other 58K brothers and sisters.

Hank
Nam 67-70
Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Here's to

Our Valiant Navy Corpsmen and Army Medics.....they are truly a cut above the rest. I am honored to just be in presense of men who knew men like this, let alone having served with them, and get to hang with them today. It reminds me of a great Paratrooper story.

One day a 4 star General was visiting a Parachute Infantry Regiment. He went down the line asking each Trooper if he liked to Jump. Each man responded, "Yes Sir....I love to Jump. I live to Jump". He reached the last man in the squad and said, "How about you Trooper"? "No sir, he replied, I hate to Jump, can't stand Jumping, Sir". The General looks at him and says, "Then what the Hell are you doing in a Parachute Infantry Regiment?" The young trooper looks at him and replies, "I just love hanging out with guys who do Love to jump!"

It's why I can't miss the mountain every year.....I just love hanging out with guys who do love to jump, so to speak.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I have to tell this story about medic's AGAIN

I was a little over 40 years ago at an arty fire base. Some how the amo for the 105's caught fire and started exploding. There was sharpenal every where and I jumped into a make shift bunker to save myself. I looked up and saw several medics with stretchers running down the hill into the sharpenal. I don't know how those brave kids could do that. The air was still filled with sharpenel and exploding shells.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

RIP Alan. " If you are wounded I will carry you. If you are captured I will come for you and if you are killed I will always remember you " I remember every day to 68. Welcome home to you to ! See ya on the mountain Tom !!