The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2004, 10:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default marriage statistics...

I have always heard that every other marriage results in a divorce or something like that...this story seems to suggest otherwise...

there is a chart in the paper that shows :

for the USA men married = 62,691,839
men never married = 32,381,377
men divorced = 9,255,014
men widowed = 2,699,175

total = 107,027,405

women married = 62,308,651
women never married = 27,531,993
women divorced = 9,255,014
women widowed = 11,975,325

total = 111,070,983

totals = 218,098,388

( I guess the rest of the population is children ..maybe 70,000,000+ or so )

anyway .....total divorced listed = 18,510,018

total married ( more men married than women ? ) = 125,000,490

not counting widowed folks, that is about 15 % ....not quite what the news media is always telling us.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

......"Closer to home, the Shelby County population figures show 50.49 percent married people, 23.49 percent single, 10.8 percent divorced and 6.86 percent widowed. "

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...685942,00.html

Where thee wed
In rural areas, marriage keeps a stronger hold

By Thomas Hargrove, Scripps Howard News Service
February 27, 2004

Romance in America appears to be strongly influenced by geography.

The percentages of Americans who are married, divorced or single varies enormously from state to state and even county to county, according to new Census Bureau data allowing extraordinary insight into when, and where, families are created.

Americans are most likely to be married if they live in rural areas or, more generally, in Midwestern and Southern states. They are more likely to be single, however, if they live in major metropolitan areas or in the Northeast.

The nation's most-married population is in Idaho, where 61 percent are married, 23 percent are single and 16 percent are either divorced or widowed. In Washington, D.C., however, singles outnumber married people nearly 2-1.

"We have a lot of salt-of-the-earth kind of people here" in Idaho, said Terry R. McDaniel, a magistrate in Boise who has married at least 300 couples. "Marriage is just the sort of thing we want to do. A lot of us come from the farming communities. They grow up, graduate from high school, and just decide it's time to get married."

Closer to home, the Shelby County population figures show 50.49 percent married people, 23.49 percent single, 10.8 percent divorced and 6.86 percent widowed.

Williamson County, just outside of Nashville, has the most-married population in Tennessee: 69.31 percent are married, 19 percent single, 7.5 percent divorced and 4 percent widowed.

Shelby County takes the No. 4 spot among Tennessee counties with the least percentage of married people. Lake County takes the top spot, with just 45.7 percent of its residents married.

Oddly, in Shelby County the number of married women totals 174,937 while the number of married men totals 170,648, a difference of 4,289. The difference boils down to many factors, such as the "varying degrees of separation" for people reporting they are married, researchers said.

The singles lifestyle is most prevalent in New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii and California, while Arkansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma and Kentucky have the lowest percentage of people who have never married.

In Tennessee, Benton County has the lowest percentage of people who have never married: 13.5 percent of the population.

The divorced adult population also varies dramatically. Nearly 14 percent of people in Nevada are divorced - almost double the incidence of legally terminated marriages found in New Jersey and North Dakota. Nearly a fifth of the adults in Mineral County, Nevada, south of Reno are divorced.

"I'm not surprised. Part of the problem is that it is much too easy to get married here," said Reno divorce attorney Jill Whitbeck. "I've had numerous cases where couples come to me saying they had too much to drink and, like Britney Spears says, they got lost in the moment."

Since 2002, a state law encourages couples in Tennessee to go through premarital counseling to help educate them about marriage.

Chris Pekary, a licensed professional counselor and an ordained minister in Memphis who has conducted counseling sessions atlocal churches, says the four-hour sessions do more for couples than reduce the $60 reduced marriage license fee.

"I've counseled 400 couples over the past five years," Pekary said. "And it does help them see their strengths and weaknesses. I mean in order to get a driver's license, you have to have a base knowledge of the rules. To get a marriage license you just have to have a heartbeat. Couples need the basics to navigate through their lives."

There are four counties in America where more than 75 percent of the adults are married. All are in rural Texas: King, Hartley, Roberts and Concho counties. The nation's wealthiest county, Colorado's Douglas County (median household income $84,645) south of Denver, has America's eighth highest percentage of married people at about 74 percent.

At the other end of the matrimonial scale are 29 communities where singles outnumber married people. Among them are Manhattan, Washington, Baltimore, San Francisco, St. Louis, Suffolk County, Mass., and Orleans Parish, La.

Census Bureau demographer Rose Kreider said the Bureau does not speculate whether there is a social climate for marriage that varies from state to state and among communities within a state.

"We do know that the percentages of Americans who are single or who are married are pretty varied," said Kreider.

In a report published in October, Kreider concluded that "no single indicator can capture the marital status of an area." But there are many factors that are known to heavily influence whether Americans marry or stay single.

"We know that the age distribution (of a population) affects this a lot, as do any factors that weight the population heavily toward men or toward women, like when there is a military base in an area, for example," she said.

Most people get married at some point in their lives. Estimates are that about 95 percent of Americans will get married at least once, but when and for how long has been changing. Women got married for the first time at a median age of 20.3 in 1950 and at 25.3 years in 2002, the oldest median age for first marriages recorded for women. Divorce rates have increased during the last century. Both of these trends have caused the total time American's spend married to decline.

But all of these trends fail to account for all of the differences in the percentages of Americans who are married from place to place, said Kreider.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:53 PM

I guess there are more married men than married women because of all the fags who got married in San Francisco.

How can there be more married men than married women?
Are they counting the few mormons who have multiple wives?

I think the figures are guesses or are erroneous. The figures for the widows and widowers should balance it out.

I notice that the figures are the same for divorced men as they are for divorced women, does this mean that nobody died since this was polled? It doesn't wash!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Ya know what I would wish if I was Emperor of America?

That there would be NO involvement of this government whatsoever in ANYTHING having to do with marriage.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Blue...the thing of it is, people have become so absolutely stupid in there quest to be different or to stand out that the government has to step in at almost every facet of life. Crying shame too, because the ones who are trying so hard to be unique are the ones that scream the loudest at the current administration interfering with everyday life yet they are the leading cause of it.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The article was in our newspaper and said the stats were from the 2000 Census. There was also a chart which was not at the web site.

Larry
Old 02-28-2004, 02:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

You said IT Trav!

Dang 'em all
Old 02-28-2004, 02:40 PM

damn if you do, damn if you dont.

Persons " private lives " being invaded again.

I wouldnt want someone telling me how many times a day/week/month/year that I can make love to someone, but it is coming sooner than you think.

To each his/her own, and stay out of the back yards of them that dont like it.

Believe it or not, there is ALOT more important things going on in this world, eg: Catholic Priests and Molestation than having a gay couple live around you.

I am sure the gay person wont get you as fast as the molestor would if you have kids, and the war will do faster yet.

Me, I am not gay, but I have known and still do alot of them and they live their life and I live mine.

I will die of Cancer ( smoking ) or in a bad car wreck, they will die of AIDS if not controlled by theirselves ( protection ).

Oh well.

Tomorrow is another day of everyday living.

enough.........l