The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2003, 08:19 AM

Default WW2 State Side

State Side

Monday Aug.2, 1943 I left my fianc?e Charlotte (Micky) Matthews and sister Virginia Terry at the Michigan Central RR. I had the upper birth and Wednesday Aug. 4th

Arrived at Miami, Beach at mid-night. We were given bedding and sent to Netherlands

Hotel, on the beach. The Air Force had taken over all the hotels for army personal. The

Next 4 months I spent time in the hospital for hemorrhoid, then K.P., guard duty, inspections,movies,shots,P.T. on beach,marching.. Since I had been in the hospital

My original class had shipped out. Dec. 2,1943 I went to the Air Inspectors Office and told them of my problem. They said I would be shipped out in 24 hours. Dec 3 I was on my way to Gettysburg College,Pa. I was in a room in ?Old Dorm? dormitory with 2 other cadets Dick McKinley and Norm Bullard.We had the normal life of classes eating and sleeping. There was about 900 Cadets in ?Old Dorm and Mcknight Hall?.It was a enjoyable part of army life.My fianc?e,sisters,mother & dad,and brother at different times came from Detroit to see me. May 10,1944 we finished college and was given week furlough. I called Micky and asked if she wanted to get married. She said yes and on May 15,1944 we were married. May 20 I was back to Gettysburg College and we were shipped out to Maxwell Field,Alabama for Pre-flight. After pre-flight we went to Avon Park,Florida where we srarted flying the open cock-pit Bi wing PT-17 Stearman Then to Lakeland Florida with same type of plane. Then to Cockran Field at Macon,Georgia flying the AT-6 Texan. January 1945 I was given check flight by a Captan and one by a Major. ( I had my pilots license before joining the Air Corp.) The Major said I did OK but they had too many pilots and I was put in the army infantry. I went to Gainesville.Texas for infantry training. Finished training and went to New Jersey and then by train to Pittsburg,California and shipped out June 1, 1945 for the Philippine Island.