The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2002, 11:16 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up A Gallant Parade Of Ships

I have never had any doubts about the capabilities and dedication of the United States military or it?s equipment. This is, after all, the finest group of young men and women ever assembled upon the face of the Earth!

This is ?Fleet Week? here in San Diego, California, and on Saturday (5 October 2002)
thousands of spectators eagerly lined the shores to witnessed the annual ?Parade of Ships!? The Navy, along with several ?Fine Old Ladies Under Sail?, proudly ?Strutted Their Stuff? throughout the Bay and the sea that surrounds it. This was indeed a sight to behold, as out there in the deep waters beyond Point Loma, the gallant representatives of nearly 140 years of "American Seamanship" were magnificently silhouetted against a glistening horizon!

Included in the large flotilla of boats and ships that were taking part in this annual event, was the ?Star of India.? Built in 1863 on the Isle of Man (Irish Sea), this well-traveled sailing vessel, has for years called San Diego it?s home. Out there amidst the pride of the U.S. fleet, however, the Star of India proved that she could still kick up her heels with the best of them, and with her massive sails billowing proudly in the winds, she was not at all hard to spot or appreciate!

Also in attendance was the U.S.S. Tippecanoe, several San Diego Based Carriers, a Perry Class Frigate, a deadly nuclear submarine, and of course, the U.S.S. Squall (among many others) - ?the latter being a fine little Navy Sea Vixen of about 180 feet!?

Overhead, and in sight of the Coronado Bay Bridge, Naval and Marine Aircraft sliced through the skies like a sharpened knife through hot butter. At that point, I really felt a sense of pity for any grossly misguided enemy of mankind that is foolish enough to attempt to challenge the military might of the United States!

As a guest aboard the U.S.S. Squall and her sister ?Coastal Patrol Boats? (all named after storms), I had the distinct privilege of observing these sea warriors up close and personal! Fast, maneuverable and deadly, these vessels certainly have all got the "Right Stuff!?

While surrounded out there by some of the best and most heavily armed ships in our Uncle Sam?s Navy, I quickly acquired a deepened sense of national security. One that was only surpassed by the patriotic pride that I felt for these ?Awesome Assets of American Ingenuity!? A Pride, not only in the ships themselves, but also in the young men and women who manned these ?Avengers Of The High Seas!?

While aboard the U.S.S. Squall, it was clearly obvious that the crew performed like a well oiled and highly disciplined machine. The Skipper of the ?Squall?, a young Lieutenant by the name of Hodge, ably put his ship through its paces, and I am here to tell you that I would genuinely hate to be on the receiving end of this vessel?s considerable fire power!

The crew of the U.S.S. Squall may have only numbered 33, a small amount when compared to some of the carriers and other ships that she was travelling with, but I am here to tell you, that this little craft was as tough as they come - a real little ?Sea Scorpion?, bristling with righteous venom, forward, aft, and all points in-between!

For me to (justifiably) compliment each and ever crew member aboard this fine little Navy Vessel would take hours! The U.S.S. Squall is often used for dangerous drug interdiction, as well as numerous other (indispensable) military tasks! I was genuinely impressed, however, with ?ALL? of the young members of this gallant crew, and the ?Battle Ribbons? that proudly hung upon the chests of most of these sailors, certainly spoke for themselves! This included young men like ?Boswain?s Mate Third Class, Lavender?, a lad barely 24 years old, but like the other crew members of the U.S.S. Squall, talented and dedicated far beyond their years!

My hat certainly goes off to all of our military who bravely journey out into harm?s way, be their dangerous adventures out upon the seas, in the air, or over the land. And for as long as this great nation of ours continues to produce this calibre of fighting man and woman - ?We Can All Rest A Little Easier!?

VERITAS
Old 10-06-2002, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The USS Slater...

...is docked all summer long here at the port of Albany,...
... not being a Navy person of sorts, I've haven't been to see it this year, but tours are offered every day...
...some of the old crew has been back to see her this year, and I'll go take some pic's, and get back to you all...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:11 AM

Default Re: A Gallant Parade Of Ships

[quote]Originally posted by HARDCORE
[b]I This is, after all, the finest group of young men and women ever assembled upon the face of the Earth!

Sorry if I seem pedantic but it's suprising what the addition of 'one' or two little words can make to the validity of what should be an accurate statement complementing the rest of your post!!!!.

ie This is, after all, one of the finest groups of young men and women ever assembled upon the face of the Earth!

My comment is objective, as I'm sure you can understand, having regard to my origins.

Wazza
Old 10-07-2002, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

HARDCORE thank you for a great visual on the parade. I grew up Navy and have been to many similar events and they are truly as awesome as you describe. One I missed that I regret was the unveiling of the Statue of Liberty. My dad was there though organizing security for the USS IOWA. I love going to the airshows too
Old 10-07-2002, 06:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default tapes of centennial celebration...

...about 2 weeks ago this kid came up to me at my garage downtown, and had a shopping cart full of VHS tapes (90), and there are all kinds of wildlife tapes from all over the world, and there are 2 that read "Centennial celebration of the Stature of Liberty, and parade of sails, both are 120 minutes long ...
...I'll put them on , and review them, and if it's what they say, I'll be glad to send them to you, for "taping" to another if you'd like...
... dated July 3rd, 4th 1986.....

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-07-2002, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

That would be great SEATJERKER. Not sure if that is the unveiling in 86' because I do not remember what year it was in but I would like to tape them either way