The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Former 9th Division Commander J. Ewell passed away

Former Vietnam 9th Division Commander J. Ewell passed away recently.

He became Commander of my old division in Feb. 1968 after I left Vietnam. I was wounded on November 5, 1967 and served under Division Commander Major General George O'Conner at that time.

General O'Conner turned over command of the Division to General Ewell shortlly after the Tet offensive in early 1968.

General Ewells' "tactics" were recognized as somewhat controversial during his tenure as Division commander, but they were none the less----effective.

You can see the story of his career at the link below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080403187.html

SCOUTS OUT!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gimp , as you know I served with 3/5th Cav. 3/5th was the organic Cav. Squadron of the 9th Inf. Division but was sent north in 68. I wore the 9th patch , on my left shoulder , till April of 1971 when we switched to the red diamond and came home wearing a screaming eagle. Scouts Out !!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Julian J. Ewell, RIP

Although his signature is fading, I still have that autographed photo of MG Ewell and myself as he presented my award. One of the best things that MG Ewell did to correct a significant shortcoming of MG O'Conner was to institute a viable awards and decoration program that was more consistent with actual events. Up until that time the 9th Inf Div lagged behind every other divisional or smaller sized unit for numbers of awards actually made.

What I found puzzling, if not downright contradictory is the allegation that before he left as commander of the 9th, there were inordinate civilian casualties, yet when he became II FF commander, he wouldn't tolerate those numbers. Hackworth had a notorious reputation for reporting higher numbers then were actually on the ground, and really didn't give a fig if those numbers included civilians too. One of my friends who worked for him knew that he had really high cover, due mainly to his years of self-promotion, and kept his own discreet and codified journal of Hackworth's exploits, preparing to use it in his defense if that situation ever presented itself.

I will always be grateful to MG Ewell for his efforts on my behalf.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

John-----I remember you telling me of your time with the Ninth Division the first time we met at Lake Lanier at the very first Psyco Vets Cookout.

Welcome home again my brother!

Scout-----even though I spent the next 18 months in several Army hospitals after I got wounded in November 67---- I kept up with what my unit (and the division overall) was doing through letters and correspondence. From nearly everyone of my former brothers-in-arms they had nothing but praise for General Ewell.

He was a brilliant tactician and a credit to the United States Army as well as a true american hero.

May he rest in peace.

SCOUTS OUT!

From an old "Go Devil"!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I agree that General Ewell was truly admired by many. My former company commander, after his DSC award, worked in the G-3, Plans and Operations section at the Division, and Ewell made frequent visits there, keeping his hand very directly in the current and especially future operations.

In some of my meager mementos, I still have a note from him, advising me to opt for an infantry company before seeking assignment to an Advisor Team. Sage advice.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."