Old 04-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Korean War Vets Eligible For Medals

David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 01-09-2001 at 12:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passing the information on.

U.S. veterans of the Korean war are now eligible to wear a medal initially offered to them more than fifty years ago, but never issued. The Republic of Korea War Service Medal will be provided at no cost to veterans.

The U.S. Air Force has been designated the lead agency to receive and distribute the medals. Approximately 1.8 million U.S. veterans of the Korean War are eligible to receive it. Next of kin to eligible deceased veterans can also apply for the medal.

To apply, veterans must provide a copy of their discharge paper, commonly known as a DD-214, or a corrected version of that document, a DD-215. National Guard members must provide their statement of service equivalent, NGB Form 22.

A sample form of letter requests should be addressed as follows: HQ AFPC/DPPPRK, 550 C Street W, Ste 12, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714. A suggested text would be: "Please send me a Korean War Service Medal for my service as a member of the United State military during the authorized period of June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. I have enclosed a copy of a source document with my Social Security Number/ Military Service Number/Foreign Service Number, which verifies my service. I understand that the enclosed copy of my source document will not be returned. Additionally, since this is a foreign service award, I understand that this is a one-time issuance. Please mail my Korean War Service Medal to the following address?"

If you do not possess any of the required forms you must contact the following for copies: National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

Melvin Wheatley McLaughlin

Major, US. Marine Corps (Retired)

Randolph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 28-09-2001 at 00:56
Why do these countries issue medals (Korea) or certificates (France) to veterans when most of them are either dead or they got one foot in the grave and the other foot on a banana peal? Reminds me of this cartoon showing a really old guy standing over the grave of his buddy. Caption: "We finally got that Tricare for Life they promised us."
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 01-10-2001 at 18:34
Sometimes I think the government finds it easier to ignore vets until the last minute rather then consider there needs after a conflict. This is being highly pessimistic though so I usually banish the thought
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links