Old 06-25-2003, 05:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Two MCRSC Marines named Marine of the Year Finalists

Two MCRSC Marines named Marine of the Year Finalists
Submitted by: Marine Corps Reserve Support Command
Story Identification Number: 200362394250
Story by Staff Sgt. L.C. Pingree

KANSAS CITY, Mo.(June 11, 2003) -- Out of about 100 Marine Corps nominations, two Marines from the Marine Corps Reserve Support Command, Kansas City, Mo., were recently named finalists in the 2003 Marine Corps Times Marine of the Year awards program.

The contest is part of Army Times Publishing's 3rd Annual Service Member of the Year Program. "The program also consists of Army Times Soldier of the Year, Navy Times Sailor of the Year, Air Force Times Airman of the Year and this year Navy Times is presenting the Coast Guardsman of the Year," said Elisha Galbraith, Marketing Communications Manager for Army Times Publishing.

Sgt. Steven Kirk, G-1 Special Actions Branch personnel clerk, and Cpl. Inkyung McMillan, SAB administration clerk, learned of their recent accomplishment through their chain of command late last month.

Neither Marine knew of the nominations until their staff noncommissioned officer in charge, Master Sgt. Nancy Brooks, informed them that they were two of only 15 Marine finalists.

"She asked us to have our portrait taken, and that's when I found out," said Kirk.

"It's motivating," he said. "I work very hard both on duty and off duty, and it feels good to know that it makes a difference."

Staff Sgt. Jorge Gallegos, who also works in SAB, nominated Kirk.

"His drive and his commitment make him the perfect candidate for Marine of the Year," Gallegos said.

"His Professional Military Education is more than complete, he recently completed his associate's degree, he's a Marine Corps Martial Arts Program black belt, and still he continues to excel at work," he said.

"He sets the perfect example for junior Marines."

Kirk is currently working to earn a Marine Corps commission. "Being named Marine of the Year could really help me with that," he said.

Fellow SAB Marine, McMillan, is just as excited.

"I was surprised I was nominated," said McMillan. "I feel like I'm no different than any other Marine at MCRSC."

According to Brooks, though, McMillan is too modest.

"The Times asked for help recognizing 'everyday heroes,'" Brooks said. "It was a no-brainer!"

Brooks commends McMillan for her ability to be a single parent, a near-full time student, active in her church and community, meanwhile performing exceptionally well at work.

"She takes every opportunity to lead. She consistently shows initiative and volunteers for almost everything. And no matter how busy she gets, she's always available to assist," said Brooks. "Whether it's a working party or pulling duty at work, babysitting for a fellow Marine, or buying holiday gifts for children less fortunate, you can always count on Cpl. McMillan."

Finalists receiving honorable mention or runner-up awards will be announced in the June 30 issue of the Marine Corps Times, according to Galbraith, and the winner will be featured in the July 7 issue. The winner from each branch of service will receive an all expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., she said.

"They will stay in historic Georgetown while in the area. They are treated to dinners throughout their stay. They will receive a phone card from AT&T," said Galbraith, "but the highlight is the awards ceremony which will be hosted by Arizona Senator John McCain and Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye.

Although Kirk and McMillan are excited about the possibility of winning the award, both say they are proud to be considered in the top 15.

Sgt. Steven Kirk, G-1 Special Actions Branch personnel clerk, and Cpl. Inkyung McMillan, SAB administration clerk, both with the Marine Corps Reserve Support Command, Kansas City, Mo., were recently named finalists in the 2003 Marine Corps Times Marine of the Year awards program.

Photo by: Staff Sgt. L.C. Pingree

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links