Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Joe Galloway: Farewell to an American Hero

Farewell to an American Hero
Thursday, 21 August 2008 15:00 Joseph L. Galloway

Sadly, as I wait in an airport departure lounge, just days before returning to combat, a message came from Joe Galloway. And so, as I sit here reading Joe's latest column, I am less saddened than uplifted to know that such Americans as "Too Tall" Ed Freeman still exist. As I board my plane for Afghanistan, Too Tall gets to go to heaven. God Speed "Too Tall" Freeman!
Michael

By Joseph L. Galloway

McClatchy Newspapers

For the better part of 60 years, two old Army pilots who loved each other argued over many a meal and drink as to which of them was the second best pilot in the world.

The two shared the cockpits of old Beaver prop planes and Huey helicopters; they shared rooms in military hooches all over the world; they shared a love of practical and impractical jokes and they shared an undying love of flying and soldiers and the Army.

They also shared membership in a very small and revered fraternity of fewer than 105 men who are entitled to wear around their necks the light blue ribbon and gold pointed star that is the Medal of Honor, America’s highest decoration for heroism above and beyond the call of duty.

Their story was told in a book my buddy Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and I wrote 15 years ago titled "We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young" and in the Mel Gibson movie, "We Were Soldiers," released in the spring of 2002. Too Tall and Old Snake were ably portrayed in the movie.

Their argument over which of them is the Best Pilot in the Whole World sadly came to an end this week when our friend and comrade-in-arms Maj. Ed (Too Tall to Fly) Freeman slipped the surly bonds of earth and headed off to Fiddler’s Green, where the souls of departed cavalrymen gather by dispensation of God Himself.

Too Tall Ed was 80 years old when he died in a hospital in Boise, Idaho, after long being ill with Parkinson’s disease. He turned down a full dress hero’s funeral in Arlington National Cemetery in favor of a hometown service and burial in the National Cemetery in Boise, close to the rivers he loved to fish and the mountains he flew through in his second career flying for the U.S. Forest Service.

A few days before the end, his old buddy Lt. Col. Bruce (Ancient Serpent 6) Crandall came to the hospital to say his goodbyes to Too Tall Ed, and to enjoy one last round of arguing with Ed over that question of which of them was the best pilot in the world.

In a fine display of the sort of gallows humor that's always helped men who know the horrors of war keep some of their sanity, Bruce told Ed that he intended to settle the question once and for all by borrowing a helicopter, sling-loading Ed’s coffin below it and then lowering it into the grave where Too Tall will rest _ something that only the Best Pilot in the World could do. Something that only the best friend in the world could tell a dying man.

These two men received their Medals of Honor long after the deeds that earned them in the furious battles of the Ia Drang Valley in November of 1965 at the dawn of our long, bitter war in Vietnam. President George W. Bush presented Too Tall Ed with his medal in 2001 and hung the medal around Old Snake Crandall’s neck in 2007.

When their friends in the 1st Battalion, 7th U.S. Cavalry were surrounded and fighting for their lives near the Cambodian border and needed ammunition and water and helicopters to carry out the gravely wounded, Bruce and Ed flew their Huey helicopters, again and again, into a small clearing swept by North Vietnamese machine gun and rifle fire.

I rode into Landing Zone X-Ray sitting atop a case of hand grenades on one of Bruce Crandall’s missions after dark on November 14, 1965, wondering if one of those bullets might turn us all into a puff of greasy smoke. I rode out of X-Ray after the battle ended on November 16, again on Bruce’s helicopter.

In later years, he and Ed and I would joke about the love-hate relationship that I and the infantrymen had with the chopper pilots: Hated them for flying us into Hell and dumping us off; loved them for coming back to get us when it was time to leave.

Mostly we laughed ourselves silly as first Ed, then Bruce recounted tales of one escapade after another; of moonlight requisition raids against the U.S. Air Force for needed or merely desired goodies unavailable from the Army supply chain; of the time Bruce was caught trying to sling-load a 10 kilowatt generator off its pad on an airbase.

Now Too Tall Ed Freeman, a much larger than life-size hero at 6 feet 7 inches tall and a much better friend than we deserved, is gone, and we are left with too large a hole in our hearts and in our dwindling ranks.

Cleared for Takeoff, Ed!
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/ind...=100#yvComment

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Told my grandson about " too tall " tonight
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sad...

The problem with us...the few that served, is that we keep getting...fewer.

Will have a drink with Ed and all the other troopers on the Fiddler's Green someday. It will be an honor.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Rest In Peace VIETNAM VETERAN and MEDAL OF HONOR WINNER:

Rest in Peace Major Ed "Too Tall" Freeman. You will always be THE BEST OF THE BEST, A TRUE HERO and I salute you for everything you did for our Grunts who were IN HARMS WAY every day of their Tour. Bless you also for bringing so many of them home--Always at the risk of your own life!!

When you approach the Gates of Heaven, just tell Saint Peter that ANOTHER VIETNAM VETERAN is "REPORTING AS ORDERED". Saint Peter will then immediately tell you to ENTER--AS YOU HAVE ALREADY SPENT YOUR TIME IN HELL.

To all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again want to wish you A MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sad

Rest in Peace Sir. So much has been said on this post that all of what I wanted to say has already been said. Thank you for service. RIP "Too Tall".

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks, Joy. Sorry didn't spot it before. Regardless, the more times great heroisms as
such are recognized & displayed here in America these strange days,...THE BETTER.

Plus,...no one can ever say that Old Ed wasn't one-hulluva-gutsy critter.
Never having known or met him or likes of him, was & will always be a great loss.

Neil
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
the more times great heroisms as such are recognized & displayed here in america these strange days,...the better.
Exactly !

Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

I am almost completed my reading of "We were Soldiers Once and Young and just last evening complete the LZ Albany part of the book. So all these folks are fresh on my mind and the Movie Scenes are etched in my memory. Both the Movie and Book are great works. All that being said, and just today finding this forum, this kind of material is really a great find for me. I have met Joe Galloway through email and Facebook and he is a great guy with lots in his mind and on his heart. What Patriots, Soldiers and Men these guys were and are. Salute! Thanks for this post about "To Tall"! Rest Well!