The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Report: Obama gave Petraeus Afghanistan advice

As seen on the Navy Times website

Report: Obama gave Petraeus Afghanistan advice

By Pamela Hess - The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday Sep 2, 2008 17:45:56 EDT

WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama reportedly told the top military commander in Iraq that some U.S. forces should be pulled out of Iraq and deployed to Afghanistan when the two met in July in Baghdad.

At the July meeting, Iraq war commander Gen. David Petraeus did not disclose his opinion on moving troops from one war to the other, according to an article in the Sept. 8 edition of The New Yorker magazine. The Taliban-led insurgency has dramatically increased attacks on U.S. and Afghan forces in recent months.

But Petraeus will soon be in a position to oversee such a move if President Bush decides to shift some forces.

Petraeus takes over U.S. Central Command in September where he will have responsibility for military operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and the Middle East. In the meantime, he is expected to recommend a modest cut in troop levels in Iraq to the president in the next few weeks, a reflection of the improved security situation.

There are currently 15 combat brigades in Iraq and a total of 146,000 troops, including tens of thousands that perform support, rather than direct combat, functions.

Obama has made bolstering the war effort in Afghanistan a central campaign point and has criticized the Bush administration for diverting troops and attention to Iraq.

“I will end this war in Iraq responsibly, and finish the fight against al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan,” Obama said in his nomination acceptance speech in Denver on Thursday.

Petraeus told Obama his goal is to get U.S. forces out of the daily Iraq fight as soon as possible and said military commanders needed politicians to give them the flexibility to manage the pace of the drawdown, the magazine reported.

The magazine describes the meeting based on interviews with Petraeus and Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I. Nebraska Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel was also there.

Obama has called for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops along a 16-month timetable. He favors leaving a force of undetermined size behind to help counter terrorists, protect U.S. personnel and facilities and to train Iraqis.

The Illinois senator opposed the war as well as the addition of nearly 30,000 U.S. troops last year, a strategy now credited with helping bring down the level of violence in Iraq.
=====================================
What the hell would he know? Is he speaking from decades of experience? Such a douche.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links