The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Read

I read "Mustangs and Fast Fords" Thats about it for me. Anything that doesn't have at least 50% pictures is boreing. I guess thats why I tell people, if your going to send me a Memo make it 4 or 5 lines, otherwise it wont get read.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2003, 09:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I found something else Herodotus said. It pretty well describes Saddam and quite a few others while he is at it:

How can a monarchy be a suitable thing? The monarch may do what he pleases, with none to check him afterwards. Take the best man on earth and put him in a monarchy and you put him outside the thoughts that have been wont to guide him. Outrageousness is bred in him by the reason of the good things he has, and envy is basic in the nature of man. He has these two qualities, then, and in them he does all evil. Out of his satiety his outrageousness grows, and he does many apalling things out of that; but he does many, too, out of envy. You would think that a man who was an absolute sovereign would be free of jealousy, for he has all good things at his disposal, but the contrary is true of him in respect to his fellow citizens. He is jealous that the best of them should continue alive; he is content that the worst of them should continue alive. He is a master at recieving slanders. He is the most difficult of all men to deal with: if your admiration of him is moderate, he is offended because the flattery is not abject; if the flattery is abject, he is offended with you as a toady. I have still bigger charge to make against him; he turns upside down all ancestral observances, forces women, and kills men without trial. When the people is ruler, in the first place its title is the fairest of all-namely, equality before law; secondly, it does none of those things I have objected against the monarch. The government holds office by decision of lot, and the power it holds is subject to the check of audit, and all its propositions it must put before the commonality for judgement. I vote, therefore, we abolish monarchy and increase the power of the people; for in the Many lies All.