The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2003, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Marine Wife's Perspective

Marine Wife's Perspective

Here are some of my experiences as to what it has been like being married to a Marine for the past 25 years.

EATING HABITS: When cooking dinner I am always careful to ensure that food is served on red and gold dinner plates. Food should be arranged in alphabetical order and in a clockwise pattern. Different foods should never touch each other. Husband tends to be suspicious of anything other than the basic meat, potatoes and gravy. Choice of wines depends on which year he was in Vietnam, i.e. 1965 was a good year for Mateus, 1972 was Cold Duck. Never mention the words Nouc Mam or C-Rats.

CLOTHING: He doesn't understand why he has to wear "civvies." His clothes are all conservative and about 15 years out of date. He doesn't care because his friends all dress the same way. The colors are usually tan and brown. They blend in nicely with dirt. It took 20 years to get him to change from "Cash Sales" boxer shorts to jockeys.

TERMINOLOGY: I now think that I have figured out the meanings of the following: bulkhead, ladderway, stairwell, head, excessive sink rate, behind the power curve, approach turn stalls and translational lift. Speaking of terminology, during the early years, I never knew there were so many people named "Butt Head" and "Asshole".

SAFETY HINTS: When standing near a group of Marine helicopter pilots engaged in war stories, remain at a safe distance. If you are too close, you could end up with a black eye or a drink spilled on you. You see, they don't know how to talk without using their hands. While driving, don't even attempt to tell a Marine he might be lost. It's hopeless, they just don't listen. Don't tell them any jokes either. They've heard 'em all and won't laugh at yours. Never mention, or think the name of Jane Fonda!!

OBSERVATIONS: It never ceased to amaze me how important he was. Every time there was a PCS household move to be done, he suddenly became indispensable at work! He likes to watch action movies with lots of flying in them. Sometimes he will use the toilet plunger as a make believe "stick" firmly planted on the floor in front of him during the show. Finally, Marines are quite unique specimens and need a lot of TLC. They are the few, the proud, and heaven help them....they will always be MARINES!

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links