The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2003, 03:01 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Redemption

OK Red Cross etc, now is the time to redeem yourselves in the eyes of San Diegans and the nation!!

It was not all that long ago that the Red Cross in San Diego had its feet held to the fires of public indignation as a result of its practices here in the Southland! As a matter of fact, a great deal of ire was expended by locals over what they perceived to be the "One Way $treet Practices" engaged in by all too many charities!

Help your neighbors, help the hurting, help the stricken, has all too often turned into a ?Help Yourself Scenario? at some charities? "And contrary to popular belief, time does not heal all wounds!!"

So here we are again - the San Diego area is ablaze from the North County to Otay Mesa, from Miramar to near Alpine, the latter, being the same area that had experienced much dismay over the Red Cross during a previous fire!

Well, no one is talking ?Give, Give, Give? as yet, as the fires of Hell are still blazing hot and heavy! Of course, and as usual, charities are announcing emergency shelters, and I would hope that this time around, the outlay by charities will at least approach the amount given to them! ?No Unaccounted-For Moneys" this time around if you please!!?

Also, I would hope that donations of "Money Alone", will not be encouraged, and that the outpourings of other aid will be accepted at charitable collection points!?

And granted, the work of volunteers in catastrophes like this is magnificent, but this ?Administrative Cost BS? is getting way out of hand (opinion)!

I once saw an article that claimed that some charities rake in from 20% to over 90% in these so-called administrative costs. Also, some ?Charities pay their Upper Echelons Execs.?, salaries that dwarf even some in Congress!?

Here we are boys and girls - another opportunity, good or bad, for these charities to honor their mandate to the public, and not only to themselves! So ante up ye noble charities, and prove to us all that you are really worth your salt, as well as the compassionate generosity gifted you by a caring public!!

VERITAS
Old 10-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Red Cross

I wouldn't give the Red Cross sweat off yours.

Ron
Old 10-26-2003, 03:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow

Ron- Nor I yours!!

VERITAS
Old 10-26-2003, 03:21 PM

HC,

Red Cross. NO NOO NOOO!!!!!!!

Ifn you need any help, lets us know. I am POSITIVE, that you would get more help here than from Red Cross./

Hope your not wearing one of those masks yet cause of the smoke.

Be Safe and Be Careful, but most of all be AWARE, of which I know you will be.

enough........
Old 10-26-2003, 05:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

REEB -

"Thanks for the thought - I really appreciate it!!"

Right now the fires are burning 30 miles west off Highways 8, 40 miles S.W. down Highway 94, and in North County! They are burning all over the place.

Back in 1971, the Mt. Laguna Fire burned all the way from the north of us, darn near to the ocean, I am told? This fire, however, according to the media, has surpassed that in destruction.

So far, they say that 10 people, that they know of, have died.

Right now, I have several major concerns -

My son works at Valley Center, and to get home, he had to go out of the way to Oceanside (opposite direction), and then cut south on Int. 5., then east to his place in El Cajon, about 40 miles down the mountain from me!

The news has it that I-5 is absolutely miserable, bumper to bumper and bad visibility! Most of the other freeways were closed.

His two kids are at their other grandmother's home, south west of
(San Diego) and the smoke is so thick in places that you can cut it with a knife!

My oldest son has a home in North County and I have not been able to get in touch with him yet.

The youngest is OK, away at university in Arizona, about 400 miles east!

Up here, we have been lucky thus far! The heavy winds (Santa Ana) are blowing to the west and outside of those close-by fires, the smoke and flames are moving away, unless the wind changes direction!

In the past, we have had several threatening blazes up here and have had to take to our heels. With the humidity at 6 (Damned Dry), no measurable rain in months, and the dense brush as dry as a bone, we are an accident waiting to happen! One would never believe that we once held the national record for the most rain fall in a 24-hour period. "But that was then and this is now!!"

"Again, at this point, my worry is for my kids and grandkids!" Hopefully, this too (this firestorm) will pass soon!? Six separate fires, all staring about the same time, however, is damned suspicious, even with the arid (that's putting it mildly) conditions!!

VERITAS
Old 10-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HC

Not to make lite of your situation, but people that live by a river are going to get flooded, people that live by the ocean are going to get a huracain, people that live in the mountains are going to get burned out.
When you live by a river next to a mountain by the ocean, your in big trouble. Keep your nose upwind.

Ron
Old 11-01-2003, 12:19 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

RON -

After almost six (6) days without a bath (no power, no pump, no water), keeping our noses up is a No-No!!

VERITAS :ek: