The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Twenty First Century

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs down A Staged Scene in a Gaza Hospital?

Norwegian doctor Mads Gilbert, a radical Marxist who openly supports Hamas and the 9/11 hijackers, is seen once again in this CNN video about the death of a “freelance cameraman’s” brother in Gaza — and the footage in the hospital room was very likely staged for propaganda effect.

A closer view of the scene in the hospital room is here at CNN: Toll of conflict strikes home as cameraman finds brother dead - CNN.com. (Someone must have told CNN that they were caught. I wonder how long before it's pulled from youtube. It's probably been saved many times for future CNN heckling. )

LGF reader “Last Mohican,” a doctor, makes a strong case that this is an obvious fake.
I’m no military expert, but I am a doctor, and this video is bullsh-t. The chest compressions that were being performed at the beginning of this video were absolutely, positively fake. The large man in the white coat was NOT performing CPR on that child. He was just sort of tapping on the child’s sternum a little bit with his fingers. You can’t make blood flow like that. Furthermore, there’s no point in doing chest compressions if you’re not also ventilating the patient somehow. In this video, I can’t tell for sure if the patient has an endotracheal tube in place, but you can see that there is nobody bag-ventilating him (a bag is actually hanging by the head of the bed), and there is no ventilator attached to the patient. In a hospital, during a code on a ventilated patient, somebody would probably be bagging the patient during the chest compressions. And they also would have moved the bed away from the wall, so that somebody could get back there to intubate the patient and/or bag him. In short, the “resuscitation scene” at the beginning is fake, and it’s a pretty lame fake at that.
So the question is, were they re-enacting the resuscitation scene by repeating their actions on a corpse, because the child had died earlier? It’s likely that the answer is no, that child is still alive, and is just an actor pretending to be a child who was killed. Why do I say that? Because the big guy in the white coat, if he’s really a doctor, nurse, nurse’s aid, EMT, or any sort of health care provider at all would be entirely aware that tickling the boy’s sternum doesn’t really look like actual chest compressions. If the boy was dead, the man would have done a more convincing job in compressing the chest. The taps on the chest that he’s doing are the sort of thing you see in bad TV dramas, when you don’t want to make the poor actor playing the victim uncomfortable by really pushing on his chest. I think the man in the white coat knows this child is actually alive, and is making the simulated chest compressions gentle so as not to hurt the child. My guess is that he assumed the videographer, like those on better TV shows, would have been smart enough not to film as far down as the man’s hands on the chest.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti..._Gaza_Hospital

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

Cover-up continues

post info

By hoystory
Categories: Media and Middle East

Share This

Pro-Israel and conservative blogs have been all over the story of CNN peddling a bit of Hamas theater today. As you watch this video, take a good look at the supposed “victim” and the medical treatment he receives.

After the uproar erupted, CNN pulled the video from its servers, without a word of explanation. Following the links provided on many of the blogs led you to a CNN video player page with the simple notice that this video was “no longer available.”
Now, more 12 hours later, even the empty video page is gone. Now, the link takes you to a text-only story with no evidence that a video ever existed.
So, the video was questionable enough that it had to be removed, but the story supporting the fradulent video stays?
That’s not bad journalism, that’s out and out propaganda.
And still not a peep from “the most trusted name in news.”

5 Responses to “Cover-up continues”

Feed for this Entry Trackback Address 2 blog reactions

1 Bill Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:58 amI just showed that clip to my wife, who is a Board Certified Emergency Physician practicing at a major East Coast teaching hospital where she is also the assistant residency director.
In between the giggling at the efforts of the “doctors” - especially the one doing “CPR” although the one putting bandaids on the kid’s neck is also apparently amusing - she commented that they fake medical care better than that on bad American daytime soap operas. Perhaps CNN should have run that piece of garbage past Surgeon General Sanjay Gupta.

http://www.hoystory.com/?p=5561

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

CNN Says the Video is Genuine

Middle East | Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:04:03 pm PST
CNN insists that the Gaza video is genuine, and they’ve reposted it. This is their only response to the criticism that the “CPR” shown in the video is an obvious pantomime:
Responding to accusations that the resuscitation efforts of Mashharawi’s brother appeared inauthentic, Martin said that, based on his years of reporting from Gaza, doctors often go through such efforts even with little hope that a patient can be saved.
If they really had “little hope” the patient could be saved, they’d be going all out with CPR, not delicately touching the boy’s abdomen with the tips of their fingers as we see in that video.
Note also that CNN has no response to the fact that Ashraf Mashharawi owns a business that operates websites for Hamas.
UPDATE at 1/9/09 5:50:34 pm:
For reference, here are three versions of the report we’re looking at.
First, an edited, shortened version of the full report that was posted on CNN’s website:

Second, the version of the report posted by the UK’s Channel 4.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid6336078001

Third, the full report posted at CNN’s website.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...deo_is_Genuine

Advertisement
▼ Hide top rated links | LinkViewer
Top Links OverallMost Recent LinksMost-Clicked LinksMost-Commented LinksArtBlogosphereBooksBreakingBritainBusinessCan adaCrimeCultureEntertainmentEuropeGeneralHistoryHu morIslamLawMedia BiasMiddle EastMilitaryMoonbatsOpinionPoliticsRelated to postReligionScandinaviaScienceSportsTechnologyTerr orismUS NewsVideoWeirdWorld News 1 day2 days3 days4 days5 days6 days7 days 5 links10 links15 links20 links25 links

Link address:
Link title:
Description:
Remaining:

0 ReligionHamas Charter translation by MEMRIcamera.org (clicks: 0)

corduroy O'johnson 42 seconds ago

0 BritainTiaras to balaclavasthesun.co.uk (clicks: 0)

Onslow 59 seconds ago

1 Media BiasKhalidi reverses the truth with the help of the New York Times.camera.org (clicks: 0)

corduroy O'johnson 5 minutes ago

1 CrimeRare Snowfall in London Helps Bobbies Track Down Bungling Burglarsdoctorbulldog.wordpress.com (clicks: 1)

Doctor Bulldog 6 minutes ago

1 US NewsShow your support for Sarah.stampnews.com (clicks: 10)

Biff 11 minutes ago

2 VideoTaking Chance - HBO Movie To Air in Februaryblackfive.net (clicks: 11)

freedomplow 17 minutes ago

4 EntertainmentA Saturday night must see:'On the Road in Iraq With Our Troops and Gary Sinise'foxnews.com (clicks: 6)

NY Nana 22 minutes ago

2 ScienceOne codon, two amino acids - the genetic code has a Shift keyscienceblogs.com (clicks: 21)

SavannahWinslow 24 minutes ago

2 CrimeBlago’s human shield strategymichellemalkin.com (clicks: 18)

SavannahWinslow 30 minutes ago

7 BlogosphereHelp Michael Totten Shove It Down Juan Cole's Throatmichaeltotten.com (clicks: 42)

LSD 31 minutes ago

-7 EntertainmentN.Y. Times Styles Michelle Obama As 'U.S. Fashion's One-Woman Bailout'nytimes.com (clicks: 19)

SavannahWinslow 33 minutes ago

3 CrimeBurris story changes, but too late?hotair.com (clicks: 47)

SavannahWinslow 39 minutes ago

7 Related to postI FOUND IT: World News & Features looks reeeeeally newsworthy...snappedshot.com (clicks: 49)

snapped shot 39 minutes ago

1 GeneralMan with stressful job forced to live with mother-in-lawhotair.com (clicks: 27)

SavannahWinslow 42 minutes ago

9 Middle EastThe criminal cynicism of Hamas - Alan Dershowitzguardian.co.uk (clicks: 39)

Jimmah 1 hour, 1 minute ago

-5 Middle EastGaza photo: Washing the blood off the streetabcnews.go.com (clicks: 37)

ratherdashing 1 hour, 1 minute ago

1 Videoliveleak.com (clicks: 78)

freedomplow 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

4 MilitaryTaking Chancehbo.com (clicks: 42)

Bobibutu 1 hour, 12 minutes ago

0 CultureAfghan held for forced abortion of his sisternews.yahoo.com (clicks: 3)

ratherdashing 1 hour, 12 minutes ago

0 WeirdI am so sorry, please don't ban me.tcpalm.com (clicks: 105)

jones 1 hour, 12 minutes ago

-2 GeneralBeing a Somali pirate sure has its benefitsdailymail.co.uk (clicks: 43)

So? 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

4 IslamHajj-gate.dinahlord.typepad.com (clicks: 47)

kmclay 1 hour, 15 minutes ago

2 Middle EastHolding Hamas Accountableforward.com (clicks: 13)

Bobibutu 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

2 BreakingBarak Obama: Firearms SALESMAN of the month!transsylvaniaphoenix.blogspot.com (clicks: 50)

ElKafir 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

-4 MoonbatsCindy Sheehan Planning "Humanitarian Aid" Mission To Hamas In Gazamaroonedinmarin.blogspot.com (clicks: 25)

strat335slinger 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

Friday, January 09, 2009
CNN Says the Video is Genuine

Middle East | Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:04:03 pm PST
CNN insists that the Gaza video is genuine, and they’ve reposted it. This is their only response to the criticism that the “CPR” shown in the video is an obvious pantomime:
Responding to accusations that the resuscitation efforts of Mashharawi’s brother appeared inauthentic, Martin said that, based on his years of reporting from Gaza, doctors often go through such efforts even with little hope that a patient can be saved.
If they really had “little hope” the patient could be saved, they’d be going all out with CPR, which means very vigorous chest compression (it’s not unusual to break ribs if it’s done right), and ventilation to oxygenate the blood—not delicately touching the boy’s abdomen with the tips of their fingers as we see in that video.
UPDATE at 1/9/09 5:50:34 pm:
For reference, here are three versions of the report we’re looking at.
First, an edited, shortened version of the full report:

Second, the version of the report posted by the UK’s Channel 4.

Third, the full report posted at CNN’s website.

UPDATE at 1/9/09 614 pm:
CNN now responds to the charge that Mashharawi worked for a company that operates Hamas websites:
Martin said accusations that Mashharawi owns a company that hosts Hamas Web sites were falsely based on Mashharawi having worked at a company that created the PS suffix to allow anyone of any political persuasion to create Palestinian Web sites.
According to Internet Haganah’s database of terror website hosts, in 2004 nepras.net, which lists Mashharawi as general manager, was the operator of the main Hamas website and the website of Hamas’ radio station Voice of Al Aqsa.
UPDATE at 1/9/09 6:51:37 pm:
This is the website of World News & Features, cited by CNN as a reliable source for news from Gaza. Please excuse me while I laugh.

Last edited by darrels joy; 01-09-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: UPDATES ADDED
Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

UPDATE!
CNN doubles down on deceit.
I love this explanation:
So, if there’s little hope that someone can be saved, you do chest compressions on the kid’s stomach?

Also watch the video again and focus on the damage allegedly caused by an Israeli missile launched from a drone. The only missiles capable of being launched from a drone are Hellfire missiles. Is there any doubt that a Hellfire missile would’ve caused much more damage — including flattening the entire home?

CNN brings new meaning to the term “useful idiot.” Who are you going to trust? The “most trusted name in news” or your lying eyes?

http://www.hoystory.com/?p=5561

Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

CNN Defends their Pallywood Error. Let’s See Mr. Mashharawi’s Rushes

Filed under: Intimidation of MSM, Media, Pallywood, al Durah Affair — Richard Landes @ 6:59 pm — Print This Post

The CNN footage from the Gaza Hospital is still hotly contested. Follow the multiple postings at LGF and an update at Powerline. Here below, I deal with CNN’s defense of the footage in detail because it so resembles the kinds of arguments that Charles Enderlin made about his own monumental gaffe with Talal abu Rahmeh and his “Al Durah” story.
January 9, 2009 — Updated 0034 GMT (0834 HKT)
Gaza video genuine, journalists say
You wouldn’t know it from the title, but there’s only one “journalist” whose opinion is cited in the article (unless Mashharawi the cameraman under suspicion is also considered a journalist).
(CNN) — There’s no truth to accusations by bloggers that a Palestinian camera crew staged a video showing the death of the videographer’s brother after an Israeli rocket attack, said the team’s employer.
In the video, camerman Ashraf Mashharawi is seen holding his brother.
“It’s absolute nonsense,” Paul Martin, co-owner of World News and Features, said of accusations leveled by bloggers at videographer Ashraf Mashharawi.
“He’s a man of enormous integrity and would never get involved with any sort of manipulation of images, let alone when the person dying is his own brother,” Martin said. “I know the whole family. I know them very well. … [Mashharawi] is upset and angry that anyone would think of him having done anything like this. … This is ridiculous. He’s independent.”
I don’t know much about Paul Martin, but it’s clear he spends lots of time in Gaza, and manages to have considerable access to Hamas “militants” whose narrative he seems to feel the world needs to understand. In any case this remark is nothing short of breathtaking. Mashharawi’s about as “independent” as Diana Buttu. The idea that a cameraman working in Gaza is not a militant for the Palestinian cause (perhaps not Hamas, but even that’s unlikely in the last years), is close to preposterous. No genuine independent could survive there for any period of time.
But the rhetoric is crucial here. Just like Charles Enderlin defending Talal, the ploy here is to present Palestinian cameramen as living up to the highest Western standards of journalism. And of course, this is only for public consumption. As Charles told me off the record when I pointed out that Talal’s rushes were full of staged scenes, “Oh sure, they do this all the time.” But on the record, “Talal is a top journalist.”
As for the “I know the whole family…” that’s just what Charles told me that Talal would never lie to him because their families had shared meals together. The credulity of these Western journalists who think that because they’ve sat down with their Palestinian colleagues and broken bread that means that their newfound friends would break ranks with their people’s struggle, is somewhat breathtaking.
Raafat Hamdouna, administrative director at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, said Friday that “Mahmoud Khalil Mashharawi, a 12-year-old, was brought to the hospital, and he was breathing, but he was hit in the head and all over his body by shrapnel. He died later in the hospital. He was treated by the Norwegian team. When he was brought in, he was breathing. The team did their best to save him. I am not really sure if they even tried to rush him to the surgery room, because he was badly hurt.”
Mashharawi’s video footage originally appeared on British television’s Channel 4 and later on CNN. It showed futile attempts by doctors to resuscitate Mashharawi’s 12-year-old brother, Mahmoud, after he and his 14-year-old cousin, Ahmed, had been wounded in what the family said was a rocket attack from a remote-controlled drone Sunday.
Ahmed also was taken to the hospital, but he had been fatally struck in the head and chest by shrapnel and had lost a foot, Hamdouna said. Hamdouna said the hospital records reported Ahmed’s age as 16, not 14, as the family said.
At the time of the attack, the family said, the two boys were playing on the rooftop of the family’s three-story house. The video showed a blood-splattered area where an explosion had taken place and where shrapnel had pierced the roof.
Mashharawi has regularly worked with World News and Features since 2004, Martin said. His multimedia company serves television, radio and newspapers.
Martin said accusations that Mashharawi owns a company that hosts Hamas Web sites were falsely based on Mashharawi having worked at a company that created the PS suffix to allow anyone of any political persuasion to create Palestinian Web sites.
The video footage appeared on CNN television networks and on CNN.com for 24 hours before CNN removed the material in the belief that it had no further right to use it. CNN, standing by the video, has since reposted it. Some bloggers had cited its removal as evidence that CNN did not stand by its reporting.
This is rich. Note that CNN did not consult a doctor on this one, but Martin’s experience in Gaza. I’ve consulted a doctor and a number of people with experience in CPR have commented both at my article at PJMedia and at LGF. But here it’s Martin’s long experience in Gaza that comes into play. There are two ways to explain this remark, neither of them working in the way Martin would like.
  • 1) Doctors in Gaza are so incompetent that what appears to Western experts as a joke, really is their best effort. The incompetence is doubled by Martin’s qualifying remark: as commenters have noted, if the patient is dying, the CPR should be more vigorous.
  • 2) Doctors “often go through such efforts even with little hope that a patient can be saved” as long as the cameras are rolling. Maybe Martin wasn’t paying attention to that detail.
In the video of the incident, the boy appears lifeless when brought to into the hospital.
In a brief conversation with CNN, Mashharawi said that doctors tried everything they could to save his brother and that he rejected suggestions that any of his work was inauthentic.
Before bloggers made their accusations, Mashharawi told CNN, “I believed at that moment if I didn’t record that nobody will believe what’s happened to my brother. Because it is unbelievable. Until now, I can’t believe what’s happened.”
It’s not clear what’s “unbelievable. That a child would be hit by rockets in a war zone and die in a hospital is hardly unbelievable. That one needed to film it for the sake of “proof” strikes me as pretty unconvincing. That he filmed it to arouse anger against Israel with the pathos of the scene, strikes me as more likely; and as I argued in the Gaza Beach tragedy documentary I made, this is “exploiting grief.”
To get a sense of the difference in cultures here, no Israeli cameraman would film the death of a family member (or anyone else) and then give it to Western media to show the world the plight of the Israelis. None.
What’s most appalling about this article — but will eventually, I suspect, redound to CNN’s discredit — is that they ran this article based on the denial of two already committed sources. CNN made no effort to corroborate any of this. It’s just “he said, she said.”

What we need is the rushes that Ahraf Mashharawi shot that day, that we see in edited form. Like the rushes of Talal, we’ll be able to judge better what was going on that day if we could see them. And unlike Talal’s rushes, let’s see them uncensored. I suspect we won’t, because when it comes to the clash between Palestinian journalism, channeled through advocacy journalists, the clash between narrative and evidence is so great, they cannot afford to let us see.
I may be wrong. This may be genuine footage. I am open to being convinced so. But let us see the evidence.

« CNN Steps in the Pallywood Doodoo: Heartrending footage Staged by Norwegian Doctors
2 Comments »
  1. <LI id=comment-520453>Another reason to doubt the video:
    http://guidetotheperplexed.blogspot.com/2009/01/08-january-2009-cnn-runs-fake-video-of.html
    How likely is it, in Islamist-controlled Gaza, that the family would be willing to be filmed having a less-than-devout funeral?
    Comment by Joel Pollak — January 10, 2009 @ 8:26 pm
  2. “and as I argued in the Gaza Beach tragedy documentary I made, this is “exploiting grief.””
    It is exploiting grief. But in the larger sense it is a small part of a pattern in the Palestinian narrative, the discourse of massacreology. Deir Yassin, Beirut, “Jenin,” these are not mere complaints about war, but necessary to the Palestinian ego, shame, humiliation, and their own foundational myths.
    It goes back to the Nakba. Many Palestinians fled after/as the Arab side lost the war. The Palestinians, like others, have their own cultural arrogances. They assumed the Jews would do to them what they would have done to the Jews had they won the war. Arguably the tactic of mass civilian casualty terrorism evinces at a small scale what they would have done.
    That the Jews did not massacre did not happen is humiliating in several ways. The next generation, trying to understand their parents’ actions in light of reality, elevated Deir Yassin and concocted instances of this or that as the Jewish causation of the flight. They have no stories about being forced out at gunpoint, like the Indian Muslims or Hindu Pakis or the eastern province Germans. Those people don’t have to explain what happened because we know what happened, and it wasn’t their own volition.
    Besides being humiliating morally, embracing the truth would do little to advance their cause to outsiders, including other Arabs.
    The desperation to validify their mistaken beliefs about Jews perhaps hit the height of the ridiculous with Sabra and Shatilla massacres that were carried out by fellow Arabs in a country that literally bars Palestinians from many occupations and positions no less. Think of all the effort that went into blaming that Arab massacre on Jews. The portrayal of Jews as cruel is not merely an import of Euro anti-semitism, but it is necessary for maintaining the foundational myth, because the Palestinians have so little evidence of Jewish blame that can outweigh their self-awareness why they fled in the forties.
    That is why peculiar to the Palestinians they have the need to parade dead bodies and promote the idea of a massacre. Each Israeli invasion of sorts is given one “massacre”, usually fictive. Chechens don’t do it, Tamil Tigers, nations, only the Palestinians orchestrate such.
    People often say “try to see it from the other side”. I think that’s good.
    Comment by JD — January 10, 2009 @ 8:37 pm
http://www.theaugeanstables.com/2009...arawis-rushes/

Old 01-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Children die!
and Hamas hides its activities in civilian houses and schools, where children are numerous. The Israeli Army has found a map, which shows us just that. But the Icelandic media doesn‘t tell us about such findings. Icelanders obviously do not need to know such things. Most of them believe Hamas rather than the Israelis. Just like many Icelanders were fascinated by Hitler and hated Jews before WWII. Little has changed.

Have at look at the CNN coverage of the death of the 14 year old brother of a Gaza cameraman on 7 January 2009, in which a professor of anaesthesiology at the University of Tromsø in North Norway, Mads Gilbert, declares the boy dead. Look at he boy´s wounds, and please note that the CNN reporter, Michael Holmes, says that the boy and his cousin were killed by an Israeli drone during the truce, which that day was between 1 and 4 PM. The boy was hit by the drone, brought to the hospital, died there, brought to a last farewell in his home and buried in the afternoon, all in the same day, i.e. between 1 and 4 PM on 7 January. Sunset on Gaza this day was around 16.30 PM. Was all that possible in three hours?

Then, please listen to an interview with Mads Gilbert on the Icelandic news program Kastljós (Spotlight) on the evening of 7 January 2009, and listen to him describe (in Norwegian) the wounds of two 14 year old boys, who arrived to his hospital during the truce the same day. Do you see head wounds on the boy in the CNN feature?
- - - -
Viðbót 11. janúar/Addition 11 January : This is what Mads Gilbert told an Icelndic reporter about the 14 year old boys on 7 January 2009:

Reporter: “How was it like during the truce?”

Gilbert: “Yes, there was a three hour truce today and there was sunshine and we all hurried out. It was wonderful to be free to hear the bombs but we heard some bombs though. But there were much fewer bombs. We received two patients then, “aargh” or more, they [the Israeli] didn’t actually respect the truce. One of the boys, a 14 years old, lost both eyes and had his entire face crushed. We do not know whether he will survive. He has been operated. The other boy got bomb shrapnel through the scull and the brain and ha been operated on and is in a respirator, they are both in a respirator.”

http://postdoc.blog.is/blog/postdoc/entry/766468/